Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Wilson is Josh Freeman, Josh Freeman is Russell Wilson!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: July 16, 2013, 11:28:36 AM

Just watched a highlight reel of Mr. Wilson. Is it me, or did his game resemble that of Josh Freeman in 2010? All this talk about Howard Cosell not liking Freeman. The big thing that he said about Freeman is that he made a lot of his plays out of the pocket which is something that stands out when you watch Russell Wilson play.

Both can, have and did stand in the pocket, both also made big plays for their team by breaking out of the pocket to run or extend the play. So if this style of play leads to inconsistency like Cosell thinks, because by nature it's to varied, can we be looking at a slightly more accurate version of Josh Freeman? They seemingly have very similar games.

It should be noted that this comparison is a bad thing for Wilson, not a good thing for Freeman. I think Wilson and RGIII regress a significant amount this year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 16, 2013, 12:08:36 PM

I don't see it. Wilson is about 8 inches shorter, much more quick and nimble, has great accuracy, and his football IQ and ability to process information is off the charts. Just because he and 2010 Freeman extended a lot of plays, doesn't mean they are alike. Jmo. Freeman was pretty damn awesome in 2010 though!  :D

Only Bucs QB that Russell Wilson's game somewhat resembles is Jeff Garcia....and he's probably a better version of Garcia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFgK7hh6cc

: July 16, 2013, 01:12:13 PM JDouble

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 16, 2013, 01:32:10 PM

They are the same. . Crown our ass.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 16, 2013, 01:42:14 PM

Finkle is Einhorn?

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 16, 2013, 01:51:45 PM

You could make the comparison for any mobile QB who tries to extend the play. I think the Roethlisberger comparison is better for his 2010 season because he didn't only avoid pressure from being agile, he just physically couldn't be brought down by some players.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 16, 2013, 02:43:21 PM

I don't get the Wilson nut huggers as they are just as bad as the Cam Newton nut huggers.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 16, 2013, 02:48:31 PM

I don't get the Wilson nut huggers as they are just as bad as the Cam Newton nut huggers.

If you can't tell the difference between Cam Newton and Russell Wilson....you might wanna just go ahead and follow another sport.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 16, 2013, 02:50:40 PM

If you can't tell the difference between Cam Newton and Russell Wilson....you might wanna just go ahead and follow another sport.

Wilson's coming down to earth and the fawning over him will cease.  I remember a time when Stan Humphries was slobbered all over but I doubt Wilson can match Humphries accomplishments.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 16, 2013, 02:52:11 PM

I'd rather have Cam than Wilson.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 16, 2013, 02:53:54 PM

We'll see.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 16, 2013, 02:54:57 PM

I'd rather have Cam than Wilson.

Yeah honestly I feel the same way.  Cam started off with a 2nd year slump (which Wilson is due) but he came back at the tail end of the season. I think people underestimate how intelligent he is though, but his weakness obviously is at times he can be arrogant.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 16, 2013, 03:01:07 PM

Id rather have Cam also. Both were annointed way too early though.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 16, 2013, 03:03:40 PM

You could make the comparison for any mobile QB who tries to extend the play. I think the Roethlisberger comparison is better for his 2010 season because he didn't only avoid pressure from being agile, he just physically couldn't be brought down by some players.

You could say that.

I think that's why we've seen so much inconsistency from "playmaker" type QBs. Even Freeman to some extent was a "playmaker" in 2010. Look at his rushing stats from 2010 and on. Teams kept him in the pocket and gave him less opportunity outside the pocket and it did slow his game, if nothing else make it go from a consistent year in 2010 to varying degrees of WTH.

I believe that happened with Newton, I think it will also happen with RGIII, Kaepernick, and Wilson. Take the "playmaker" away and make them function solely as a pocket QB and their game changes. I think we'll see exactly how good of a quarterback these guys are this year. Newton came around once he saw the difference in how teams were going to defend him.

It's Freeman's 5th year. His 1st two years he was a playmaker. The last two that part of his game has been taken away and he's had to function as a pocket QB. So really, it's almost like Freeman has only two years of experience! Just kidding about that last part, but we can all see his game and how its changed and how he's had, tried, to adapt.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 16, 2013, 03:11:15 PM

I'd also take Cam over RG3, though mostly because RG3's injury history.

In order, excluding Freeman:

1. Luck
2. Kaepernick
3. Cam
4. RG3
5. Wilson

I do think RG3 can be successful even without his mobility, though. I'm just worried that he's never going to be a 16-game per year player.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 16, 2013, 03:30:34 PM

Everyone has their own opinion. Russell Wilson is one of my very favorite players in the entire NFL....and I wouldn't take Cam if he was free. So I guess time will tell.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Wilson is Josh Freeman, Josh Freeman is Russell Wilson!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools