Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 17, 2013, 12:01:12 AM

Pre preseason notes: Dunlap deal, Lake Tahoe golf, FA updates

Pat Kirwan

NFL Insider    CBS Sports

July 16, 2013 1:24 pm ET

Michael Johnson (left) and Carlos Dunlap are unlikely to be teammates after this season. (USATSI)

It doesn't get much slower in the NFL than mid-July, yet a few things going on caught my interest this week:

1: I'm happy for Carlos Dunlap and his new contract with the Bengals, reportedly worth $40 million. But it seems to me that if they got that deal done a week or two ago, the Bengals would have had some potential options with Michael Johnson.

With James Harrison under contract and a solid pass rusher, second-round defensive end Margus Hunt on the roster from the draft and Robert Geathers on the roster as a backup, Cincinnati could have put Johnson on the trade market. Of course, an interested team would have had to negotiate a long-term deal with Johnson before any deal would have been consummated, but guys like Johnson are hard to find. Consider that the former third-round pick is 26 years old, had 17 1/2 sacks in the last two seasons and has rare size at 6-foot-7, 270 pounds. A number of teams would or should be interested. Now that the deadline for signing franchise players has passed, no one will do a deal and the Bengals are positioned to let him walk next year for no compensation.

I doubt they'll put another franchise tag on Johnson, which would pay him over $13 million in 2014, especially with defensive tackle Geno Atkins scheduled for free agency. I had a personnel director tell me "Atkins will reset the market for defensive tackles, not Ndamukong Suh." A team like Tampa Bay or Atlanta could have locked up Johnson as their right defensive end for the next five years. A deal that would have sent a second-round pick to the Bengals that would have become a first if Johnson topped his 11 1/2 sacks this season would have been worth it. Sure those clubs will get a shot at him in free agency, but so will everyone else.

2. Lake Tahoe: I'm heading to Lake Tahoe to cover the celebrity golf classic this weekend. It's an event loaded with NFL players and former players. It's the last event of the summer before most camps open. I do my Sirius Radio show from the driving range and always get the players to sit and talk about the upcoming season and, of course, their golf game. I'm looking forward to spending some time with Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Sebastian Janikowski and A.J. Hawk among others. I will report on football issues of interest.

3. Is there really a wait-and-see game to be played? Bears and Bucs fans feel like they want to wait and see how Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman perform before new deals are put in front of the players. Both guys are considered to be in the gray area when it comes to contract extensions. As one GM said this week with a smile on his face, "Those two guys wouldn't last a week on the open market; sign them now or pay even more." I hope the clubs don't announce the silly unwritten rule about not negotiating during the season. Like it or not, quarterbacks cost a lot of money and Cutler and Freeman aren't settling for something a lot less than Tony Romo or Matt Stafford got.

4. Eric Winston, the right tackle who played well for the Texans especially in the run game and spent one year with the Chiefs, is still looking for work. I talked with Winston this week and he remains patient and confident something will happen in the next few weeks. He's not a guy trying to skip out on camp and show up a week before the opener. He hasn't missed a start in six years and never misses practice. Winston is 29 years old and still has a few good years left in his career. The challenge for clubs is waiting until they incur an injury at offensive line -- if so, the leverage switches to Winston -- or signing him now when he might take less to be on a roster for camp.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 17, 2013, 12:23:45 AM

You could insert him into a lot of teams and it would work.

Here however, they've play against his strengths or tried to make him something else 85% of the time.

(I give 15% towards those two minute drills)

...plus, not too many teams would do well no matter whom is QB if the pass defense is putrid. If he goes to a solid well rounded team, he will play great. That's exactly what I'm hoping happens here with the new additions and more experiance.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 17, 2013, 01:56:03 AM

I hope he makes the decision easy, by playing really good, or really bad.  Its that in the middle territory that is dangerous and risky.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 17, 2013, 03:38:14 AM

I hear you Anti, but what do we consider average/middle of the road/a dime a dozen?

Same stats as this year? Wins?

I mean, if the pass defense becomes 1st or 2nd in the league, and Tampa is winning games, but freeman is playing like he was last season...do we let him go?

Seems to me we shouldn't.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 17, 2013, 06:04:21 AM

I hear you Anti, but what do we consider average/middle of the road/a dime a dozen?

Same stats as this year? Wins?

I mean, if the pass defense becomes 1st or 2nd in the league, and Tampa is winning games, but freeman is playing like he was last season...do we let him go?

Seems to me we shouldn't.

If we had the #1 or #2 pass defense last year and Freeman played the EXACT same we would have been 11-2 after 13 instead of 6-7 and his stats wouldn't have taken a dump Weeks 15 and 16.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 17, 2013, 07:36:20 AM

They wouldn't last a week on the open market,  because the only qbs that make it to the open market are bums like Matt Cassel,  etc. Not really saying much ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 17, 2013, 07:59:23 AM

I said this when the season ended but I understand the need to wait and see. Seeing as how the Glazers have opened up the wallet lately, I suppose they will gladly pay Freeman his worth if he balls out this season. Good for him.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 17, 2013, 08:09:41 AM

Freeman not settling for a lot less than Romo or Stafford? Really? I like Freeman but he has done little to prove he's worth that kind of money. Streaky with a mix of great and horrible doesn't get you top 10 QB money.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 17, 2013, 08:21:38 AM

If he is mediocre like he has been, I'd franchise him and trade him.  If Freeman really "...wouldn't last a week on the open market", then someone will trade for him.  Franchise him and take whatever a team is going to give.  No one is going to give a pair of 1st's, but they might give up a 2nd and maybe a 3rd the following season.  If no one wants to trade for him, un-tag him and allow him to hit the open market.  Maybe we get a compensatory pick the following year.  Personally, I don't think Freeman is anything special.  I think virtually any QB that they start next season, will at worst be just as good as Freeman.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 17, 2013, 09:16:22 AM

I hope he makes the decision easy, by playing really good, or really bad.  Its that in the middle territory that is dangerous and risky.

But who really believes he playes 'really good' next year?
If he is really bad, which i doubt aswell, we should have gotten rid of him sooner , f/e via trade when he still did not prove to suck at QB.

If he is great next season, aka improves, who really cares about his contract details? Sooner or later he prolly would ask for a raise to his mediocre contract anyway.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 17, 2013, 09:53:24 AM

But who really believes he playes 'really good' next year?
If he is really bad, which i doubt aswell, we should have gotten rid of him sooner , f/e via trade when he still did not prove to suck at QB.

If he is great next season, aka improves, who really cares about his contract details? Sooner or later he prolly would ask for a raise to his mediocre contract anyway.

I'm hoping for, primarily, significant improvement... otherwise, absolute regression.  I don't want the same guy we had the the last 3 years.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 17, 2013, 10:02:27 AM

I'm hoping for, primarily, significant improvement... otherwise, absolute regression.  I don't want the same guy we had the the last 3 years.

What makes you believe Freeman is capable of such things in 2013? Its not about what you want, its about what is best for the TEAM...make the most out of Freeman on or off the field.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM

What makes you believe Freeman is capable of such things in 2013? Its not about what you want, its about what is best for the TEAM...make the most out of Freeman on or off the field.

What I'm hoping for is what is best for the team.  If he shows significant improvement (which is what I'm hoping for), then the team will win and re-sign him.  That's what's best for the team.  If he doesn't show significant improvement, I hope absolutely stinks.  Again, that's what's best for the team because they can easily cut ties with him and draft a new guy (or go with Glennon).  That's also what is best for the team, just the negative side.  What no one wants is the same crap as the last 3 years.   That's NOT what is best for the team.

I think the most likely scenario is the latter.  I think we will see the same Josh Freeman we've seen over the last 3 years.  Good against the bad... bad against the good and an mediocre end result.  At that point, I'm not sure what will happen.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 17, 2013, 10:24:36 AM

What I'm hoping for is what is best for the team.  If he shows significant improvement (which is what I'm hoping for), then the team will win and re-sign him.  That's what's best for the team.  If he doesn't show significant improvement, I hope absolutely stinks.  Again, that's what's best for the team because they can easily cut ties with him and draft a new guy (or go with Glennon).  That's also what is best for the team, just the negative side.  What no one wants is the same crap as the last 3 years.   That's NOT what is best for the team.

I think the most likely scenario is the latter.  I think we will see the same Josh Freeman we've seen over the last 3 years.  Good against the bad... bad against the good and an mediocre end result.  At that point, I'm not sure what will happen.

Hoping is not the best for the team. We jsut win games in the real world.

As i already said waiting or extending him results in the same hoping for Freeman becoming great by miracle.
I also think we most likely will see the same Josh we saw in the last 3 years...then we are as smart as before, just this time its franchise tag or letting him walk. No clue how Freeman can improve his trade value for us next year, i rather see his prize drop, while the money he asks for will sky rocket.

Ironworker808

Second String

#14 : July 17, 2013, 10:25:45 AM

Freeman not settling for a lot less than Romo or Stafford? Really? I like Freeman but he has done little to prove he's worth that kind of money. Streaky with a mix of great and horrible doesn't get you top 10 QB money.

QBR - 82.8
Completion Percentage - 59.8%
Winning Percentage - 0.370

Hardly worth a Stafford like contract.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools