Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#15 : July 17, 2013, 10:31:26 AM

Freeman not settling for a lot less than Romo or Stafford? Really? I like Freeman but he has done little to prove he's worth that kind of money. Streaky with a mix of great and horrible doesn't get you top 10 QB money.
Neither of those guys deserve that kind of contract either.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 17, 2013, 06:08:05 PM

I hear you Anti, but what do we consider average/middle of the road/a dime a dozen?

Same stats as this year? Wins?

I mean, if the pass defense becomes 1st or 2nd in the league, and Tampa is winning games, but freeman is playing like he was last season...do we let him go?

Seems to me we shouldn't.

Ya, in that scenario, I would keep him.  But sign him long term for huge jack?  Maybe not.  Tag him, and let him produce another good season before a long term commitment.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 17, 2013, 06:46:41 PM

I think virtually any QB that they start next season, will at worst be just as good as Freeman.

You may find out the hard way that your comment is false.

Why did Romo and Stafford get paid? Because you cannot just put anyone back there. They tried that with Quincy Carter. We tried it with Gradkowski Simms etc. It doesn't work that way which is why these QBS are getting paid. If it was as easy as you say it is nobody would ever give a QB big money. Reality check.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 17, 2013, 06:53:53 PM

Hardly worth a Stafford like contract.

Stafford isn't worth a Stafford like contract.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 17, 2013, 06:54:31 PM

I hear you Anti, but what do we consider average/middle of the road/a dime a dozen?

I mean, if the pass defense becomes 1st or 2nd in the league, and Tampa is winning games, but freeman is playing like he was last season...do we let him go?

Ya, in that scenario, I would keep him.  But sign him long term for huge jack?  Maybe not.  Tag him, and let him produce another good season before a long term commitment.

I'll tell you right now that not signing him is a huge mistake. Look at what CIN got for Palmer. And what Denver got for Cutler. We should have signed him because if Schiano wants Glennon to start next year you could get at least one 1st round pick for Freeman.

As it stands we risk losing him and recovering zero compensation. This is one of the biggest blunders in the history of the franchise if you ask me. Especially considering that Schiano is not on the bandwagon and Freeman may just decide to walk at the end of the year.

If that happens and we are stuck with Glennon and Schiano I'm going to come to a G2G and puke on your face.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 17, 2013, 07:02:40 PM

I'll tell you right now that not signing him is a huge mistake. Look at what CIN got for Palmer. And what Denver got for Cutler. We should have signed him because if Schiano wants Glennon to start next year you could get at least one 1st round pick for Freeman.

As it stands we risk losing him and recovering zero compensation. This is one of the biggest blunders in the history of the franchise if you ask me. Especially considering that Schiano is not on the bandwagon and Freeman may just decide to walk at the end of the year.

If that happens and we are stuck with Glennon and Schiano I'm going to come to a G2G and puke on your face.

Its not as bleak as you portray it.   I agree he has value, no matter how he plays this season. 

They could try to sign him on the cheap, and if he balks, tag him.  Then try to trade him, and if no decent offers, he has to play out the year on the tag.

And if they just let him walk, which is highly unlikely, even then, they would get a comp pick in the draft.

So bottom line, no matter what happens, the Bucs get SOMETHING in return.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#21 : July 17, 2013, 07:11:38 PM

Freeman not settling for a lot less than Romo or Stafford? Really? I like Freeman but he has done little to prove he's worth that kind of money. Streaky with a mix of great and horrible doesn't get you top 10 QB money.

QBR - 82.8
Completion Percentage - 59.8%
Winning Percentage - 0.370

Winning percentage as a QB is not something a QB always has control over. There are certain factors even the best QB's can't over come. Dropped passes, playing alongside subpar defenses, kickers missing critical field goals, or playing behind a poor offensive line. Can anyone honestly say Mark Sanchez, who played in 2 NFC title games is a winner or better than a lot of other QB's just because, he played with a dominant defense? Or heck even the Bucs own Shaun King, is he a winner when his team was winning in spite of him?

I'm of the belief if the Bucs defense improves, the team doesn't need Freeman to be Manning or Brady like, just be consistently good and don't have multi turnover games. Bring back the 2010 Freeman. Not every QB is going to be Manning or Brady. Get the ball to your weapons, and limit the mistakes. If that happens this team should be in position to win double digit games.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 17, 2013, 07:15:15 PM

QBR - 82.8
Completion Percentage - 59.8%
Winning Percentage - 0.370

Winning percentage as a QB is not something a QB always has control over. There are certain factors even the best QB's can't over come. Dropped passes, playing alongside subpar defenses, kickers missing critical field goals, or playing behind a poor offensive line. Can anyone honestly say Mark Sanchez, who played in 2 NFC title games is a winner or better than a lot of other QB's just because, he played with a dominant defense? Or heck even the Bucs own Shaun King, is he a winner when his team was winning in spite of him?

I'm of the belief if the Bucs defense improves, the team doesn't need Freeman to be Manning or Brady like, just be consistently good and don't have multi turnover games. Bring back the 2010 Freeman. Not every QB is going to be Manning or Brady. Get the ball to your weapons, and limit the mistakes. If that happens this team should be in position to win double digit games.

Agree 100%.  But easier said than done.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 17, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

I think Freeman just has to be smart with the ball. He doesn't need to force the big play if we have a defense capable of giving the ball back. We will probably run the ball quite a bit if our defense is solid. That will help Freeman out a ton. He can get back to what gets good at which is play action and roll outs. I think if our defense takes off, Freeman will have an excellent year.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 17, 2013, 07:33:11 PM

I think Freeman just has to be smart with the ball. He doesn't need to force the big play if we have a defense capable of giving the ball back. We will probably run the ball quite a bit if our defense is solid. That will help Freeman out a ton. He can get back to what gets good at which is play action and roll outs. I think if our defense takes off, Freeman will have an excellent year.

I agree BB. This will be his year. My prediction is that by the end of the year Freeman will be talked about as a definite top 10 QB. He will break all the franchise records and we will lose out to Arizona in bidding for his services.

He is a perfect fit for Arizona. They have a top 5 defense and just upgraded their OL in the draft. Unless Palmer returns to previous form this is what will likely happen. Freeman to Arizona.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 17, 2013, 07:58:49 PM

I agree BB. This will be his year. My prediction is that by the end of the year Freeman will be talked about as a definite top 10 QB. He will break all the franchise records and we will lose out to Arizona in bidding for his services.

He is a perfect fit for Arizona. They have a top 5 defense and just upgraded their OL in the draft. Unless Palmer returns to previous form this is what will likely happen. Freeman to Arizona.

I don't think it would be in his best interest for his football career to change teams. He may get paid more money but I think it would be best for him success wise to stay with this system. He really doesn't need to go out and learn a whole new offense again. That would be his 4th offense in his 6th year. It's in both of the Bucs and Freeman's best interest if he has a good year and resigns here. But if he is chasing the money and don't give a **CENSORED** about becoming a decent QB then he can go chase the money.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 17, 2013, 08:15:35 PM

I don't think it would be in his best interest for his football career to change teams. He may get paid more money but I think it would be best for him success wise to stay with this system. He really doesn't need to go out and learn a whole new offense again. That would be his 4th offense in his 6th year. It's in both of the Bucs and Freeman's best interest if he has a good year and resigns here. But if he is chasing the money and don't give a **CENSORED** about becoming a decent QB then he can go chase the money.

He would have to weigh the options. Does he want to play for a coach who is not 100% behind him?  Or an offensive guru in Bruce Arians who would love to have him? Arians has a great track record with QBS and Schiano has zero.

Would he rather play with a team with a suspect defense or a top 5 defense? This is the biggest issue. No QB wants to play for a team with a bad defense. Arizona has a great defense with proven NFL coaches. Look at our coaching. College coach had zero success in his 1st year defensively. Even though he had much better personnel than the previous coach had.

I just don't see why Freeman would want to re-sign here. Unless they can keep Sully and ditch Schiano i don't see it happening.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 17, 2013, 09:44:15 PM

use freemans money on michael johnson and someone else.  then if you arent sold on glennon draft a QB in the 1st.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 17, 2013, 09:53:35 PM

If Freeman has a big year, that could get Sullivan a HC job somewhere.  So even if he stays, it could be another new offense anyway.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

BucsGlory

Second String

#29 : July 17, 2013, 09:58:52 PM

I know this isnt going to be a popular opinion but i think freeman should wing it and have more confidence pushing the ball down field trusting in wlliams and jackson to make plays. We dont have alex smith back there and most of freemans problems come from short passes anyway so why not just pay to his strength. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools