Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

QaZ

Pro Bowler

« #30 : July 17, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »

They could try to sign him on the cheap, and if he balks, tag him.  Then try to trade him, and if no decent offers, he has to play out the year on the tag.

And if they just let him walk, which is highly unlikely, even then, they would get a comp pick in the draft.

So bottom line, no matter what happens, the Bucs get SOMETHING in return.

REALLY? Who trades for Freeman when we do not pay him his franchise tag? Seriously, Freeman will sign a contract as if he would be a FA next year, here or elsewhere.
OK, Lets say KC trades for Freeman, he then will ask for what he thinks would be the highest offer, as if  he would a FA. Aslong KC refuses to offer him such contract, he will ask for his franchise tag. Im sure Freeman and his agent have a good idea which teams are interested in him and how much they are willing to pay. In this case KC gained NOTHING from trading for him. They will still have to match the highest offer, or lets say convince him as if he actually would be FA. Most likely Freeman and his agent will formulate a higher market value than he actually has...what does they have to lose? He will becomes a FA and then they can see what teams really offer him, KC would be stupid to withdraw their offer then, should it NOW be appealing to him
Even if Freeman gives a certain team some kind of discount, this team does not have to trade for him either, since they can get him as a FA aswell, Freeman just refuse to accept his franchise tag. Do you really believe any team really wants to pay him his franchise tag AND trade for him before, when Freeman does not want to play for them?

The only scenario in which this could happen is if Freeman thinks he can not get much more elsewhere, maybe even giving a certain team some kind of discount AND this team knowing about another teams 'offering' way more than Freeman thinks, virtually giving up a draft pick for Freeman to keep him in this Illusion. Why should another team not let know Freeman about this mega contract, but allowing other teams to find out about instead of him, to then trick them with a trade?

We just get something for Freeman should we lose more FAs then we actually sign during the 2014 off season. If we lose as many guys as we sign, we get nothing more than a 7 rounder, even if two horrible FAs 'replace Freeman and M Williams. Considering the talent on our team without them AND the salery cap floor, this does not sound realistic nor anything good for our franchise long term to totally pass on the 2014 FA class.

BucsGlory

Second String

« #31 : July 17, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

Some of you guys are just as bad as the media.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #32 : July 17, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »

Tony Romo, Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, and Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid. Free will get his he is a better QB than about half the starters in the NFL.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #33 : July 17, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »

They could try to sign him on the cheap, and if he balks, tag him.  Then try to trade him, and if no decent offers, he has to play out the year on the tag.

And if they just let him walk, which is highly unlikely, even then, they would get a comp pick in the draft.

So bottom line, no matter what happens, the Bucs get SOMETHING in return.

REALLY? Who trades for Freeman when we do not pay him his franchise tag? Seriously, Freeman will sign a contract as if he would be a FA next year, here or elsewhere.
OK, Lets say KC trades for Freeman, he then will ask for what he thinks would be the highest offer, as if  he would a FA. Aslong KC refuses to offer him such contract, he will ask for his franchise tag. Im sure Freeman and his agent have a good idea which teams are interested in him and how much they are willing to pay. In this case KC gained NOTHING from trading for him. They will still have to match the highest offer, or lets say convince him as if he actually would be FA. Most likely Freeman and his agent will formulate a higher market value than he actually has...what does they have to lose? He will becomes a FA and then they can see what teams really offer him, KC would be stupid to withdraw their offer then, should it NOW be appealing to him
Even if Freeman gives a certain team some kind of discount, this team does not have to trade for him either, since they can get him as a FA aswell, Freeman just refuse to accept his franchise tag. Do you really believe any team really wants to pay him his franchise tag AND trade for him before, when Freeman does not want to play for them?

The only scenario in which this could happen is if Freeman thinks he can not get much more elsewhere, maybe even giving a certain team some kind of discount AND this team knowing about another teams 'offering' way more than Freeman thinks, virtually giving up a draft pick for Freeman to keep him in this Illusion. Why should another team not let know Freeman about this mega contract, but allowing other teams to find out about instead of him, to then trick them with a trade?

We just get something for Freeman should we lose more FAs then we actually sign during the 2014 off season. If we lose as many guys as we sign, we get nothing more than a 7 rounder, even if two horrible FAs 'replace Freeman and M Williams. Considering the talent on our team without them AND the salery cap floor, this does not sound realistic nor anything good for our franchise long term to totally pass on the 2014 FA class.

The Bucs could tag him 3 times.  So they have full control of where he plays until after the 2016 season. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #34 : July 17, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »

Gotta ball first. Be consistent.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #35 : July 17, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »

Tony Romo, Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, and Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid. Free will get his he is a better QB than about half the starters in the NFL.

Tony Romo is a far better QB than Freeman.   The other guys were not paid all that much.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

QaZ

Pro Bowler

« #36 : July 18, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »

The Bucs could tag him 3 times.  So they have full control of where he plays until after the 2016 season.

Yes, if we want to pay him so much money. But i thought we did not want to settle for mediocrity, Freeman can easily be replaced.  If we pay him $18M+ each of the next 3 years, i wonder why we did not extend him for a little bit less now.

Do you really believe we tag Freeman just to keep him off the market? We could also just sign him to a $15M+ deal now, still draft a QB in 2014, useing Freeman as a a safety net (should this guy bust) and wait until other teamsare willing to trade for our back up called Freeman.

Quite debateable whether Freeman can make more elsewhere, he prolly signs the franchsie tag in a heart beat, knowing he then will get the 2014 long term contract in 2015 or 2016. Waiting for this to happen nets him top5 money until.

Havok904

Starter

« #37 : July 18, 2013, 08:20:18 AM »

..... Freeman can easily be replaced.... 

With who?...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #38 : July 18, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »

I think virtually any QB that they start next season, will at worst be just as good as Freeman.

You may find out the hard way that your comment is false.

Why did Romo and Stafford get paid? Because you cannot just put anyone back there. They tried that with Quincy Carter. We tried it with Gradkowski Simms etc. It doesn't work that way which is why these QBS are getting paid. If it was as easy as you say it is nobody would ever give a QB big money. Reality check.

No, Romo got paid because he's pretty darn good.  He completes over 64% of his passes, has had a passer rating over 90 every year of his career with a current career rating of 95.6, and his average yards per attempt is 7.9.

Stafford got paid because they have faith in him... unlike Dominik and Schiano with Freeman.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #39 : July 18, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »

Easily replaced is not true. There are teams like Kansas City and Oakland that have been trying for years to find a good Qb,  and none them were as good as even Freeman is.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #40 : July 18, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »

Easily replaced is not true. There are teams like Kansas City and Oakland that have been trying for years to find a good Qb,  and none them were as good as even Freeman is.

Agree. It's not as easy as some claim it is.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #41 : July 18, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »

On my Madden career, I traded Freeman to the Broncos and he won a Super Bowl the following year. I don't know why I am sharing this information. I am ready for some real football.

Draft Aaron Donald

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #42 : July 18, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »

Tony Romo is a far better QB than Freeman.   The other guys were not paid all that much.
Yea because hes had all those SB wins on his way to Canton.  Romo has some good numbers but he's not a winner.  Actually I'd rather have someone with average numbers that knows how to win.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #43 : July 18, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »

Blah blah blah.

Simple:

Freeman plays well, Bucs miss playoffs, he gets extended.

Freeman plays poor, Bucs miss playoffs, he gets "low-balled".

Freeman plays poor, Bucs make playoffs, he gets "market" offer (TBD).

Freeman plays well, makes playoffs, he gets the Brinks truck treatment.

Time is tickin...5...

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #44 : July 18, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »

With ya Jimbo.  Romo is a classic choker.  I'd rather have Free's talent and skill set than the Schottenheimer of QBs on the downside of his career.  I do believe that Free will surprise everyone this year.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools