Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#45 : July 18, 2013, 10:07:28 AM

I'd rather have someone that knows how to win.

Then you must be totally in favor of getting rid of Freeman then.   He's never won at any level.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#46 : July 18, 2013, 10:09:02 AM

With ya Jimbo.  Romo is a classic choker.  I'd rather have Free's talent and skill set than the Schottenheimer of QBs on the downside of his career.  I do believe that Free will surprise everyone this year.
fingers crossed.

I truly hope Free plays well this year. There was a time I had so much faith in Freechise.

Now, after years of watching him struggle with very relevant, and basic tenets of his craft I think he is what he is. Not terribly good. His pocket presence is a mix of David Carr, and Carson Palmer.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#47 : July 18, 2013, 10:12:29 AM

I'd rather have someone that knows how to win.

Then you must be totally in favor of getting rid of Freeman then.   He's never won at any level.
Exactly!  Win this or be gone!!!

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#48 : July 18, 2013, 10:48:22 AM

Blah blah blah.

Simple:

Freeman plays well, Bucs miss playoffs, he gets extended.

Freeman plays poor, Bucs miss playoffs, he gets "low-balled".

Freeman plays poor, Bucs make playoffs, he gets "market" offer (TBD).

Freeman plays well, makes playoffs, he gets the Brinks truck treatment.

Time is tickin...5...

So we will try to sign Freeman anyway...the question is just for how much?
I wonder why we do not already use 2013 for getting rid of his guaranteed money then, or lowballing.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#49 : July 18, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

Now when I say "lowball", it will be an offer that will offend him.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#50 : July 18, 2013, 12:56:34 PM

If they sign him now with guaranteed base salaries instead of a signing bonus there's ZERO risk. He's still going to have high trade value regardless so if they want to go with Glennon in 2014 then they can trade him with no penalty.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#51 : July 18, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

I hope he makes the decision easy, by playing really good, or really bad.  Its that in the middle territory that is dangerous and risky.

But who really believes he playes 'really good' next year?
If he is really bad, which i doubt aswell, we should have gotten rid of him sooner , f/e via trade when he still did not prove to suck at QB.

If he is great next season, aka improves, who really cares about his contract details? Sooner or later he prolly would ask for a raise to his mediocre contract anyway.

I'm hoping for, primarily, significant improvement... otherwise, absolute regression.  I don't want the same guy we had the the last 3 years.

I'm hoping for this as well. I don't want him to spoil us with amazing performances only to fall flat on his face for another 4-5 games then come back and play semi-decent again. Then we're still stuck in mediocrity and we're gonna have to pay him a ton to do so. I think unless he wins us the Super Bowl or atleast gets us there/to the NFC Championship then we'd be best off just giving him the franchise tag to see if he can play that way for another season.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#52 : July 18, 2013, 01:34:03 PM

Now when I say "lowball", it will be an offer that will offend him.

Which raises the question what is 'plays poor', compared to his performance the last 4 years? What is the result of offending him in 2014? What are the expectations for Freeman this year anyway... to throw away the chance to deal him now instead of 'offending' him after 2013?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#53 : July 18, 2013, 02:02:51 PM

You will know it when you see it. Parameters are in constant flux, so asking that is an exercise in futity.

I defined what would happen in certain scenarios. But his expectations, like any QB, is to win now. Right now.

The result of offending him is irrelevant. He either takes a Buc/Cap friendly deal, perhaps laden with incentives, or takes a hike. If he is being offered a crap contract as a result of poor play, which we will know when we see it, then he is garbage anyway.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#54 : July 18, 2013, 02:43:42 PM

You will know it when you see it. Parameters are in constant flux, so asking that is an exercise in futity.

I defined what would happen in certain scenarios. But his expectations, like any QB, is to win now. Right now.

The result of offending him is irrelevant. He either takes a Buc/Cap friendly deal, perhaps laden with incentives, or takes a hike. If he is being offered a crap contract as a result of poor play, which we will know when we see it, then he is garbage anyway.

When offending results in letting him walk, getting nothing in return, its far from irrelevant. When poor play is expectable already now, we might want to deal him now, when we still can get something for him.

I still do not see what we gain from waiting until next year to make a decision about his future here, especially when we already saw him for FOUR years.
Waiting just works if Freeman becomes great next year...by miracle. But who does really expect him to pull this off? Another mediocre year by Freeman, the most likely secenario, does not help us making a decision about his future at all, and it takes away almost all of our options, especially when it comes to get rid of him, something so many here favour over anything else.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#55 : July 18, 2013, 02:52:16 PM

I think best case scenario would be that he plays well and we get into the playoffs but its a team effort and he gets what he deserves. I dont think we want to start over again at QB. If we draft a new QB or its Glennon, hes still going to take his lumps and will need time to develop. We have an againg team. Anybody really feel like starting over again??

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#56 : July 18, 2013, 03:16:36 PM

Anybody really feel like starting over again??

Apparently no one is scared by starting a 1st rounder in 2014. We COULD have success right away as a few exceptions from the rule showed.  Its all about not settling for mediocrity ...not about finding a great QB and win games the next few years.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#57 : July 18, 2013, 08:15:47 PM

The Bucs could tag him 3 times.  So they have full control of where he plays until after the 2016 season.

Yes, if we want to pay him so much money. But i thought we did not want to settle for mediocrity, Freeman can easily be replaced.  If we pay him $18M+ each of the next 3 years, i wonder why we did not extend him for a little bit less now.

Do you really believe we tag Freeman just to keep him off the market? We could also just sign him to a $15M+ deal now, still draft a QB in 2014, useing Freeman as a a safety net (should this guy bust) and wait until other teamsare willing to trade for our back up called Freeman.

Quite debateable whether Freeman can make more elsewhere, he prolly signs the franchsie tag in a heart beat, knowing he then will get the 2014 long term contract in 2015 or 2016. Waiting for this to happen nets him top5 money until.

Good points, but all I am sayin is, the Bucs control his destiny until at least 2016.  IF they choose too. Sure it would cost a boatload of money, but they may find that scenario more attractive than signing him long term. Any long term contract is going to be for megabucks.  So it comes down to......Sign him long term, or tag him, if your not sure the long term is a good move.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Freeman wouldn't last a week on the open market, sign him now or pay even more" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools