Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#15 : July 18, 2013, 09:55:32 AM

I don't think Vince Lombardi would steal someone's lunch money.
Didn't you hear he use to steal Hournings (sp?) beer money.

BucNCane

Second String
#16 : July 18, 2013, 09:57:50 AM

Didn't PFF analyze Goldsons snaps and it showed he played centerfield like 75% of the plays last year?  I think they are severely under rating his coverage skills just because he can hit.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 18, 2013, 10:01:41 AM

Didn't PFF analyze Goldsons snaps and it showed he played centerfield like 75% of the plays last year?  I think they are severely under rating his coverage skills just because he can hit.
PFF rated Goldson the #10 coverage safety in 2012.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 18, 2013, 10:02:30 AM

Goldson is a league stud at safety.

The coverage will be fine.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#19 : July 18, 2013, 10:08:57 AM

And it doesn't hurt having a shut down CB on the field.  Another day closer to opening KO.  Yea baby!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 18, 2013, 10:13:47 AM

In M2M situations, that shut down CB wont make a bit of difference in relation to the safeties coverage responsibilities.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#21 : July 18, 2013, 10:23:38 AM

In M2M situations, that shut down CB wont make a bit of difference in relation to the safeties coverage responsibilities.
Come on chace you know better than that.  If we can shut down a teams #1 with single coverage instead of having to double it frees up a man to help with deep coverage.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
#22 : July 18, 2013, 11:03:03 AM

What do  they know? Schiano almost won the Big East a few times.
Generally, success in college does not mean success in the NFL.

Similarly, an unsuccessful head coach in college (in terms of championships) is not doomed for failure at the pro level.

Personally, I would be more worried if Chip Kelly was our HC.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 18, 2013, 11:18:29 AM

When you say "double", I assume you are talking about having a safety shade over to a certain side of the field when back in zone coverage. True double-teams are actually pretty rare. What I am referring to is when one or both of the safeties has a singular coverage responsibility..aka M2M.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
#24 : July 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM

Yeah, lol. I too keep reading articles with this notion that Goldson is a liability in coverage (can you believe one columnist wrote that  Eric Reid --  a rookie -- be an easy replacement for the departure of Goldson?), but I just don't see it. I've watched my fare share of 49ers games over the past couple of years and Dashon Goldson has always impressed me with his hard hitting & solid coverage. Sure he has made mistakes & had some bad games (most notably the Superbowl) but hasn't Ed Reed?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 18, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Yeah, lol. I too keep reading articles with this notion that Goldson is a liability in coverage (can you believe one columnist wrote that  Eric Reid --  a rookie -- be an easy replacement for the departure of Goldson?), but I just don't see it. I've watched my fare share of 49ers games over the past couple of years and Dashon Goldson has always impressed me with his hard hitting & solid coverage. Sure he has made mistakes & had some bad games (most notably the Superbowl) but hasn't Ed Reed?
Don't go that far Ed Reed is/was a legend. Basically, there are at best 5 safeties who are really, really good in coverage and then there's everyone else. Goldson would be in the top of "everyone else". He's still pretty good but can get beat.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 18, 2013, 11:43:33 AM

5 might even be a stretch. Goldson is good, but he doesn't come close to what Reed was. I'm not sure that I would say that Goldson is a potential liability like Barron, but I would say that there will still be a few deep plays to be had every other game. Solid in coverage is a good way to put it, but he isn't good or great in coverage, IMO.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#27 : July 18, 2013, 12:28:28 PM

When you say "double", I assume you are talking about having a safety shade over to a certain side of the field when back in zone coverage. True double-teams are actually pretty rare. What I am referring to is when one or both of the safeties has a singular coverage responsibility..aka M2M.
You are correct chace.  But putting our safetys on Julio or Roddy or any speed guy one on one is just poor scheming.  I'm sure we'll get beat on some deep passes though, evrey one does.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 18, 2013, 01:15:28 PM

You are correct chace.  But putting our safetys on Julio or Roddy or any speed guy one on one is just poor scheming.  I'm sure we'll get beat on some deep passes though, evrey one does.

Yea, our safeties will rarely see M2M situations against a #1 or #2 WR. We didn't see it much last year, but one play that does stick out in a lot of fans minds was when Ronde had M2M responsibility on Cruz in that Giants game. After watching the safety play after that game, I didn't notice Ronde, Black, or Barron having that sort of responsibility again. What I am referring to is the m2m coverage against #3s, #4s, and TEs. That is where Barron struggled last year, but he seemed to have corrected his ZC issues as the year went on. As far as Goldson goes, I think the perception is that he struggles a bit with range/reaction on deep balls while in ZC. Could this be a big issue? Personally, I think that is our CB coverage is more solid, then our safeties should be fine. People don't need to be fooled though...the Bucs are almost always going to roll with 2 deep safeties. They only ran with 1 deep safety on less than 17% of their plays last year. I don't care if you have Ed Reed back there in his prime, you are going to have to have 2 deep safeties back most of the time in this passing league. So the talk of Barron playing more snaps closer to the line, might just be true, but if they do...best believe that Black will be back there with Goldson 12-17 yards off the LOS. If you go back and look at the times Barber or Barron was up near the LOS or in the box, Black was back deep as the 2nd safety. Like I said, it was rare that the Bucs rolled with only one safety over the top.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#29 : July 18, 2013, 01:51:22 PM

Yea, our safeties will rarely see M2M situations against a #1 or #2 WR. We didn't see it much last year, but one play that does stick out in a lot of fans minds was when Ronde had M2M responsibility on Cruz in that Giants game. After watching the safety play after that game, I didn't notice Ronde, Black, or Barron having that sort of responsibility again. What I am referring to is the m2m coverage against #3s, #4s, and TEs. That is where Barron struggled last year, but he seemed to have corrected his ZC issues as the year went on. As far as Goldson goes, I think the perception is that he struggles a bit with range/reaction on deep balls while in ZC. Could this be a big issue? Personally, I think that is our CB coverage is more solid, then our safeties should be fine. People don't need to be fooled though...the Bucs are almost always going to roll with 2 deep safeties. They only ran with 1 deep safety on less than 17% of their plays last year. I don't care if you have Ed Reed back there in his prime, you are going to have to have 2 deep safeties back most of the time in this passing league. So the talk of Barron playing more snaps closer to the line, might just be true, but if they do...best believe that Black will be back there with Goldson 12-17 yards off the LOS. If you go back and look at the times Barber or Barron was up near the LOS or in the box, Black was back deep as the 2nd safety. Like I said, it was rare that the Bucs rolled with only one safety over the top.
Yea I think we're on the same page I'm just to lazy to type that much.  Good analysis chace.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools