Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp "Iíve seen a lot of great defenses, havenít seen one led from the back end" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

ę : July 19, 2013, 12:00:44 AM Ľ

Warren Sapp: Bucsí defensive play upfront will be key

Posted by Mike Wilkening    PFT

July 18, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

On a conference call with media on Thursday, former NFL defensive tackle Warren Sapp was asked about his old team, the Buccaneers, with whom he spent the prime years of a career that earned him a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fameís Class of 2013.

Sapp, while noting he would be present when the Bucs open training camp next Thursday, had this to say about the Buccaneersí efforts to improve their defensive backfield in the offseason with the additions of cornerback Darrelle Revis and safety Dashon Goldson:

ďIíve seen a lot of great defenses in the NFL. I just havenít seen one led from the back end.Ē

A few thoughts on Sappís comment (alas, there was no further discussion of the issue on the call): First, Sapp was a defensive lineman; of course heís going to insist front seven play is key, especially in a 4-3 scheme like the one the Bucs employ now and as they did in their prime years. And Sapp, of course, is right about the importance of the play upfront.

ďWhenever youíre running a 4-3 scheme, when youíre sending the front four and dropping seven, that front dictates how much time the quarterback has, how disruptive in the run game itís going to be and the different things that have to be done,Ē Sapp also said Thursday, this in response to a question about the scheme his former Tampa coordinator, Monte Kiffin, will now run in Dallas.

And hereís the good news for Tampa Bay: the Buccaneersí front seven play shapes up as a strength in 2013. Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy made the Pro Bowl a season ago. Ends Adrian Clayborn and DaíQuan Bowers have shown promise. So too has second-year weak-side linebacker Lavonte David, who racked up 139 tackles as a rookie.

Itís quite possible the Bucsí front seven could lead the way for the Bucsí defense this season. And this is much is certain: the Buccaneers had to improve a secondary that allowed more passing yards per game than any other in 2012.

In short, the Buccaneers made the necessary offseason improvements, and Sapp made a valid observation about winning defense. It will be interesting to see what he says about the Bucsí defense after observing camp next week.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

ę #1 : July 19, 2013, 02:29:45 AM Ľ

It's not all about the front four in schiano's defense. He will blitz any one player near the los on any given play, so really, it's four, plus 1 or 2 from unknown areas.

And as we've seen, he's not afraid to bring everyone and let the Corners stand on islands. And that was with backup of backup talent.

Sapp is right though to some extent. However, I think he would dismiss losing Miller as a "loss," while I would consider it "addition by subtraction." No one was expecting miller to be a sack machine, but some forward movement would've been nice. Anyone assuming his old position that can produce more pressure towards the QB is an improvement. Bennett might also be considered a loss, but imvho, he was overrated and having McCoy grabbing up doubles didn't hurt. As long as McCoy is out there and healthy, Bowers should be around the seven+ sack range.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

ę #2 : July 19, 2013, 02:32:19 AM Ľ

Obviously, we are gonna need a pass rush.  Hopefully Bowers and Clayborn can provide that. If not, its back to the drawing board.   [2014 draft]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

ę #3 : July 19, 2013, 02:42:01 AM Ľ

It's not all about the front four in schiano's defense. He will blitz any one player near the los on any given play, so really, it's four, plus 1 or 2 from unknown areas.

And as we've seen, he's not afraid to bring everyone and let the Corners stand on islands. And that was with backup of backup talent.

Sapp is right though to some extent. However, I think he would dismiss losing Miller as a "loss," while I would consider it "addition by subtraction." No one was expecting miller to be a sack machine, but some forward movement would've been nice. Anyone assuming his old position that can produce more pressure towards the QB is an improvement. Bennett might also be considered a loss, but imvho, he was overrated and having McCoy grabbing up doubles didn't hurt. As long as McCoy is out there and healthy, Bowers should be around the seven+ sack range.

Miller played well but not great and that was his ceiling. That said, the scheme dictates that he crashes the a gap from a tilted position trying to purposely draw a double team and it moves the gaps. Not too many guys are going to get consistent push in that scenario let alone the roy millers of the world. Even if its his best performances.

Honestly I dont think were going to have a nt like that unless its obvious pass rushing plays where they arent in the tilt.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

ę #4 : July 19, 2013, 02:42:43 AM Ľ

Imo, that why miller was even more easily replaced.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

ę #5 : July 19, 2013, 03:47:59 AM Ľ

Sapp is basically saying the same thing a lot of us are saying. We aren't yet built up front. We are tragically void of solidness up front. 

Maybe if he said it in question form he would have said "why would you spend all that money on the back end while neglecting the front end?"

The games are still won in the trenches and we have nothing but potential on the DL other than GMAC. We are counting on Landri Bowers Clay and Spence to become a factor. It will be interesting to see how we do without the presence of Michael Bennett. That guy was a really good LDE and all around DL. He was better than Miller at NT too. Im sure we wont miss Miller but might miss Bennett. I have my doubts about Bowers making it clean through the season without being injured. Plenty of questions about whether Clay can recover from his injury too.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
ę #6 : July 19, 2013, 11:19:22 AM Ľ

Maybe if he said it in question form he would have said "why would you spend all that money on the back end while neglecting the front end?"
neglect might not be the best word.  on our DL we will probably end up starting a 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 4th.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

ę #7 : July 19, 2013, 09:38:19 PM Ľ

Sounds like we are paper champions already GT. Crown Usssss!

Don't listen to me. Don't listen to Sapp. Just go ahead and get your noggin sized up to make sure that the crown will fit.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
ę #8 : July 19, 2013, 09:46:50 PM Ľ

Sounds like we are paper champions already GT. Crown Usssss!

Don't listen to me. Don't listen to Sapp. Just go ahead and get your noggin sized up to make sure that the crown will fit.

GT is quite correct that surely have not "neglected" the front D line.. They have invested high draft picks there. Whether they work out is another story.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
ę #9 : July 19, 2013, 10:45:32 PM Ľ

Obviously, we are gonna need a pass rush.  Hopefully Bowers and Clayborn can provide that. If not, its back to the drawing board.   [2014 draft]

.....with a new GM, no QB, and possibly new HC #2009alloveragain

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
ę #10 : July 19, 2013, 11:31:22 PM Ľ

I think a lot of greatness comes from a back end

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
ę #11 : July 19, 2013, 11:42:50 PM Ľ

I think a lot of greatness comes from a back end

Yes but only if there is a pass rush. If our D-line can't get to the QB this season we are going to witness a monumental collapse of this franchise. There is no debating that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
ę #12 : July 20, 2013, 08:52:35 AM Ľ

Sapp's comment echoes my own thoughts. Letting our best pass rusher walk when we already had the worst pass rush in the entire league, and then not replacing him with another proven pass rusher...could definitely come back to haunt us. It's not a question of "if", but "when" we will need a 3rd DE to step up. Hopefully one of these young unproven DEs can step up for us. In the end, Sapp is correct. Without a pass rush, the best secondary in history would get picked apart.

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

ę #13 : July 20, 2013, 09:28:42 AM Ľ

Fear not , Bucs fans !

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
ę #14 : July 20, 2013, 10:58:48 AM Ľ

Yes but only if there is a pass rush. If our D-line can't get to the QB this season we are going to witness a monumental collapse of this franchise. There is no debating that.
our dline doesn't have to get to the QB, they just need to get close.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sapp "Iíve seen a lot of great defenses, havenít seen one led from the back end" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools