Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#180 : July 26, 2013, 09:52:41 AM

Drafting a QB purley off college stats would be ridiculous. Anyone who watched them play could see there is clearly a huge difference.
i do agree with that, and i didnt pay much attention to both guys play in college.  is there a brief description (aside from running ability) that you would say is the difference?

Well, Tom O'Brien was going to bench Wilson in favor of Glennon.  That's different.

How did that turn out for Tom O'Brien?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#181 : July 26, 2013, 10:21:21 AM

lol.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#182 : July 26, 2013, 10:34:09 AM

Drafting a QB purley off college stats would be ridiculous. Anyone who watched them play could see there is clearly a huge difference.
i do agree with that, and i didnt pay much attention to both guys play in college.  is there a brief description (aside from running ability) that you would say is the difference?

Well, Tom O'Brien was going to bench Wilson in favor of Glennon.  That's different.

Slightly worse than Wilson's 9-4 junior season, but quite an improvement over his 5-7 sophomore season.   Wilson split time as a redshirt freshman before going 4-3 as a starter. Glennon went 8-5 and 7-6 as a starter.

Overall, Tom O'Brien had a higher winning percentage with Glennon than he had with Wilson, so I suppose it turned out fairly well... Outside of the fact that he is now a tight ends coach at another university.
: July 26, 2013, 10:45:28 AM Bradspace

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#183 : July 26, 2013, 10:42:17 AM

Slightly worse than Wilson's 9-4 junior season, but quite an improvement over his 5-7 sophomore season.   Wilson split time as a redshirt freshman before going 4-3 as a starter. Glennon went 8-5 and 7-6 as a starter.

Overall Glennon had a higher winning percentage, so it didn't go to poorly.

Is there any reason you are leaving out that O'Brien is currently the TE coach at the University of Virginia instead of the HC at NC State?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#184 : July 26, 2013, 10:44:29 AM

John Jenkins, the Nose Tackle  from Georgia,  was available...He's a big upgrade over Akeem Spence....We could have saved this QB experiment for the later rounds...Glennon was a 5th rounder on some boards... so why waste a pick on a practice squad guy...

Another QB was picked before we had the chance again in 4th round. Since we rated Glennon over the rest, its quite reasonalbe to think another team would have picked Glennon instead of Barkley or even before him. 
We apparently got the guy we liked and we now want to cry about how we MAYBE picked him up one round too early? QB is the most important position in football and you want to go cheap here and maybe save a mid to late round pick?
Even if J Jenkins is a better NT than A Spence, he most likely wont save our season in 2014 and beyond when we might have no QB worth anything.

I'm sure John Jenkins was not rated too high on some draft boards either.  A 3-4 NT who is no threat as a pass rusher. Also has problems with consistancy and conditioning.  A fire plug in the middle that can occupy blockers, but not much else.  Sure, he could try and switch positions and play DT in a 4-3, but I just don't see the huge upside between him and Spence. To me it looks like both men can do the job of just plugging up the middle so others can make the play.  So if they both do the same thing, getting him for a 4th vice a 3rd is a better bargain right?

But hey, JJ is now manning the middle for the Saints, so we get to see twice a year how the two compare. It will be interesting to watch.
and Spence and his 0 sacks offers much pass rush?

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#185 : July 26, 2013, 10:48:28 AM

Overall Glennon had a higher winning percentage, so it didn't go to poorly.

Is there any reason you are leaving out that O'Brien is currently the TE coach at the University of Virginia instead of the HC at NC State?

Okay, I've now edited my post to reflect your concerns.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#186 : July 26, 2013, 10:49:51 AM

Overall, Tom O'Brien had a higher winning percentage with Glennon than he had with Wilson, so I suppose it turned out fairly well... Outside of the fact that he is now a tight ends coach at another university.
Sweet. We just got a QB better than Russell Wilson and it only cost a 3rd round pick.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#187 : July 26, 2013, 10:51:35 AM

Sweet. We just got a QB better than Russell Wilson and it only cost a 3rd round pick.

He would likely have benched Matt Ryan for him as well if he had been given the opportunity.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#188 : July 26, 2013, 10:52:16 AM

wait, I thought you already said we got another Myron Lewis . . . .  . you know because Glennon just like Lewis .  .will not play . .
: July 26, 2013, 10:55:54 AM VinBucFan

freddy

Hall of Famer
#189 : July 26, 2013, 10:57:41 AM

John Jenkins, the Nose Tackle  from Georgia,  was available...He's a big upgrade over Akeem Spence....We could have saved this QB experiment for the later rounds...Glennon was a 5th rounder on some boards... so why waste a pick on a practice squad guy...

Another QB was picked before we had the chance again in 4th round. Since we rated Glennon over the rest, its quite reasonalbe to think another team would have picked Glennon instead of Barkley or even before him. 
We apparently got the guy we liked and we now want to cry about how we MAYBE picked him up one round too early? QB is the most important position in football and you want to go cheap here and maybe save a mid to late round pick?
Even if J Jenkins is a better NT than A Spence, he most likely wont save our season in 2014 and beyond when we might have no QB worth anything.

I'm sure John Jenkins was not rated too high on some draft boards either.  A 3-4 NT who is no threat as a pass rusher. Also has problems with consistancy and conditioning.  A fire plug in the middle that can occupy blockers, but not much else.  Sure, he could try and switch positions and play DT in a 4-3, but I just don't see the huge upside between him and Spence. To me it looks like both men can do the job of just plugging up the middle so others can make the play.  So if they both do the same thing, getting him for a 4th vice a 3rd is a better bargain right?

But hey, JJ is now manning the middle for the Saints, so we get to see twice a year how the two compare. It will be interesting to watch.
and Spence and his 0 sacks offers much pass rush?

And who claimed Spence was a pass rusher?  In fact, if you look real close at the actual words written, it says both men can do the same job plugging up the middle so others can make the play. Nothing there about pass rush. 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#190 : July 26, 2013, 10:59:04 AM

slow day in Grudgeville when the best grudge settling discussion on these boards is whether the Bucs should've used a 4th instead of a 3rd for Glennon . . . .

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#191 : July 26, 2013, 11:02:23 AM

besides, according to GMC Spence is a little Hercules

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#192 : July 26, 2013, 12:29:19 PM

NC state was basically the same team with either QB at the helm.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#193 : July 26, 2013, 01:35:00 PM

The details he has yet to grasp in this offense will take the better part of two seasons and a lot of snaps.   

I'm glad he's developing - we need quality depth at QB.  Later rather than sooner.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#194 : July 26, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

The details he has yet to grasp in this offense will take the better part of two seasons and a lot of snaps.   

I'm glad he's developing - we need quality depth at QB.  Later rather than sooner.

Exactly. Even if his pundits on this board are correct, and he and DanO are equals right now, DanO has maxed out his ability, Glennon has a lot more potential to fullfill.
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools