Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#345 : July 30, 2013, 11:39:53 AM

If he goes Martin-David two out of every three trade ups, you can live with the Benns.
Of course, but has that been the case?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#346 : July 30, 2013, 11:47:45 AM

1. No one says you can't ever do something. But when you take a risk, you need to be right. Luckily the Bucs were right on those two players.
2. We don't know for sure we had to trade up for Martin and David and if we did, there were still other players available later. At running back David Wilson had his moments last season and is going into this season as a likely starter, Ronnie Hillman is probably going to start for Denver this season, Bernard Pierce was good for Baltimore last season, Lamar Miller is probably going to start for Miami this season, Robert Turbin had his moments for Seattle last season, and then we all know about Alfred Morris.

1. And you do not see the risk of us not having a serviceable QB next year? You do not need to be right when it comes to the most important position on football?
2. Funny how we now should build our team by using lower picks on guys considered as less talented. We tried with Glennon, since we had not seen anyone better available. While we had a chance to get someone better before(->D Martin), you want to tell me about potential starters coming out of later rounds aswell. But in Glennons case, without anyone better available it was a bad plan to build a Team this way...since top40 QB have better chances, right? Rather wait and rely on later picks to fill your needs aswell? Even if you believe in a guy(->Glennon), rather pass on him and rely on the chance to get similar guys later in the draft?
We did not even trade up for Glennon, but quite reasonable to think we would have have to trade up from 112 then, when Nassib, Barkley and Wilson were drafted by other teams and L Jones just made it to 115.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#347 : July 30, 2013, 11:51:26 AM

The reason one takes risk is for the POTENTIAL higher reward. By defintion, taking risk comes with a recognition that you are going to be wrong sometimes, that is why the potential reward is higher.  ONLY in the absurd world of message boards does "taking risk" = "you need to be right"  LMAO

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#348 : July 30, 2013, 11:58:15 AM

2. We don't know for sure we had to trade up for Martin and David and if we did, there were still other players available later. At running back David Wilson had his moments last season and is going into this season as a likely starter, Ronnie Hillman is probably going to start for Denver this season, Bernard Pierce was good for Baltimore last season, Lamar Miller is probably going to start for Miami this season, Robert Turbin had his moments for Seattle last season, and then we all know about Alfred Morris.

First, Ronnie Hillman did next to nothing last year and is not starting in Denver. Monte Ball is.

David Wilson is a fun guy to watch and can definitely be explosive and make big plays. He is also a good kick returner...but he is a fumbler, he is inconsistent as a runner, he's a finesse guy that doesn't run up the gut much, and he is not good in pass protection. He is no where near the all around back Martin is. Maybe Wilson will develop into a well rounded stud some day....but Martin already was/is and that is why we moved up to take him.

Pierce, Turbin, and Miller all had minimal touches last year and had 2 TDs cimbined between the three of them. They all looked solid for rookies as a #2 RB....but none showed anything to make anyone sane person believe any of them are half the RB Martin is.

Draft Aaron Donald

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#349 : July 30, 2013, 12:02:52 PM

The name of the game is getting the best players while spending the least. For example, in 2010 the Bucs were sitting with the #42 pick and when the Raiders were on the clock at #39, Dominik said "Oh my God I can't believe Arrelious Benn is still available. I have to get him right now!". He did, and then Rob Gronkowski got drafted at #42, Lamarr Houston at #44, Linval Joseph at #46, Darryl Washington at #47, Carlos Dunlap at #54, Sean Lee at #55, and so on. The smart GM would have said "Even if I really like Arrelious Benn, if he's there, he's there, if he's not I'll pick another player." This isn't the NBA draft. College football doesn't just run out of good players.

What does the smart GM say when Doug Martin is still available at #31 or Lavonte David is still available at #58?
1. No one says you can't ever do something. But when you take a risk, you need to be right. Luckily the Bucs were right on those two players.
2. We don't know for sure we had to trade up for Martin and David . . . .

Translated:    "I got nothin . . . . . ."

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#350 : July 30, 2013, 12:05:04 PM

Glennon is going to get every shot he deserves to win the starting spot. He'll get a large majority of the reps during pre-season and make no mistake Schiano WILL pull the trigger if he honestly thinks Glennon gives us a better shot. Honestly though, as much as every hates on Freeman, I don't see Glennon being better at this point. There are a lot of things I like about Glennon, in particular his willingness to fit a ball into a tight space and ability to stand in the pocket. He had garbage for WR last year. He now has, potentially anyways, a pro bowl WR and a very good #2 with an excellent all around RB.

Free's job this year, if he leaves any question, Glennon's job next year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#351 : July 30, 2013, 12:08:56 PM

This whole Glennon-Freeman thing is being completely overblown by us fanatics here...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#352 : July 30, 2013, 12:20:02 PM

Funny how we now should build our team by using lower picks on guys considered as less talented. We tried with Glennon, since we had not seen anyone better available. While we had a chance to get someone better before(->D Martin), you want to tell me about potential starters coming out of later rounds aswell. But in Glennons case, without anyone better available it was a bad plan to build a Team this way...since top40 QB have better chances, right? Rather wait and rely on later picks to fill your needs aswell? Even if you believe in a guy(->Glennon), rather pass on him and rely on the chance to get similar guys later in the draft?
1. As I've said teams have gotten really good at drafting virtually every possibly good QB in the first 40 picks and leaving everyone else for after that. Teams are a lot less skilled at finding good players at other positions after the top 40 picks. Dashon Goldson was a 4th rounder. Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder. That kind of stuff happens every year. It doesn't happen every year with QB's.

2. Even if you don't get a Goldson/Nicks in the mid rounds, getting an average player at non-important positions is still a victory. If you draft and play the 20th best QB with a 3rd round pick, your team is going to suck. If you draft and play the 20th best right guard, tight end, nose tackle, or #2 corner, you could still win the Super Bowl.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#353 : July 30, 2013, 12:22:15 PM

If he goes Martin-David two out of every three trade ups, you can live with the Benns.
Of course, but has that been the case?

Maybe not, but I can't think of any other trade ups that Dominik has made that has either worked poorly or worked out great. That's not to say there haven't been any, I just can't think of them.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#354 : July 30, 2013, 01:22:49 PM

Yup..there is a reason they are in front of the cameras and not in teams war rooms.
Pretty much, and by some posters dim logic, any player drafted a little higher than where these "experts" slotted them, is a blown pick.
Funny it is, no one has seen one single game snap, not one from these rooks, but our board experts know already know the outcome of their NFL career,
And "Snap On" Freesus is throwing the word stupid around?

Wrong. This is called a reach not a blown pick. I've made no predictions about Glennon's career outcome. Rat must describe your mental capabilities.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#355 : July 30, 2013, 01:31:28 PM

Funny how we now should build our team by using lower picks on guys considered as less talented. We tried with Glennon, since we had not seen anyone better available. While we had a chance to get someone better before(->D Martin), you want to tell me about potential starters coming out of later rounds aswell. But in Glennons case, without anyone better available it was a bad plan to build a Team this way...since top40 QB have better chances, right? Rather wait and rely on later picks to fill your needs aswell? Even if you believe in a guy(->Glennon), rather pass on him and rely on the chance to get similar guys later in the draft?
1. As I've said teams have gotten really good at drafting virtually every possibly good QB in the first 40 picks and leaving everyone else for after that. Teams are a lot less skilled at finding good players at other positions after the top 40 picks. Dashon Goldson was a 4th rounder. Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder. That kind of stuff happens every year. It doesn't happen every year with QB's.

2. Even if you don't get a Goldson/Nicks in the mid rounds, getting an average player at non-important positions is still a victory. If you draft and play the 20th best QB with a 3rd round pick, your team is going to suck. If you draft and play the 20th best right guard, tight end, nose tackle, or #2 corner, you could still win the Super Bowl.

Double bingo FRG! Quality depth and starters!!

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#356 : July 30, 2013, 01:59:09 PM

Game. Set. Match.

...I will try and translate that to Qazinese...

Gayime? Zett! MAdge x).

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#357 : July 30, 2013, 02:55:48 PM

I hear reports saying glennon looks good in camp, and some that say bad...

Still rooting for him.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#358 : July 30, 2013, 04:15:19 PM

1. What if no great QB prospect is available to us and our top40 pick?  Lets look back to the last few years, how many of those good QB out of the top40 were available to us? Kaepernick and Dalton in 2011, maybe RG3 via trade, the next one would be Freeman in 2009. Sorry, but a draft does not feature 40 QBs with a 11% chance of becoming great.

2. Glennon is the 20th best QB? Right now he is the best QB available to us for 2014. Thats why he got drafted. We can not let the 21st best QB start here either, throwing away a 1st rounder on is even more stupid.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#359 : July 30, 2013, 04:22:51 PM

What if no great QB prospect is available to us and our top40 pick? 
See the Miami Dolphins since Marino retired.

Page: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools