Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#270 : July 28, 2013, 01:30:46 PM

Seems some on this board think Glennon as a third round pick wasn't a reach - though no other qbs had been selected at that point.  We do know from Dom's history he does sometimes reach for someone he wants.  I suspect that is the case here.

Now, reports are he had done well for a rookie to date.  Perhaps there is a way for folks on this board to enjoy that performance to date, noting as well the staff seems pleased with Freeman.  It would not suck to have both perform well.  Just my .02

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#271 : July 28, 2013, 01:42:19 PM

If Dom has shown one weakness, it has been reaching in the draft. Often times even trading up in order to make the reach.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#272 : July 28, 2013, 01:45:18 PM

If Dom has shown one weakness, it has been reaching in the draft. Often times even trading up in order to make the reach.
Well, I wouldn't limit this weaknesses to one, but the trades to jump a couple of picks, and some picks that seem premature are pretty easy to pick out.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#273 : July 28, 2013, 01:52:24 PM

could be reaches, could just be odd scouting.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#274 : July 28, 2013, 02:45:14 PM

Like the third round QB we traded up to take in the first.....  ;D

Runole

Hall of Famer
#275 : July 28, 2013, 03:22:00 PM

I doubt Dominik had anything to do with selecting Glennon.   I believe he opted out of that responsibility when Schiano was hired.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#276 : July 28, 2013, 05:13:25 PM

Seems some on this board think Glennon as a third round pick wasn't a reach - though no other qbs had been selected at that point.  We do know from Dom's history he does sometimes reach for someone he wants.  I suspect that is the case here.

Now, reports are he had done well for a rookie to date.  Perhaps there is a way for folks on this board to enjoy that performance to date, noting as well the staff seems pleased with Freeman.  It would not suck to have both perform well.  Just my .02

Glennon was the 3rd QB taken, not the 1st. Until 112, our next pick in the 4th round, 3 more QBs were taken. Another one, L Jones, just stayed on the board for 3 more picks, until 115.

You can supspect alot, but i think its reasonable to think we had to trade up from 112 to get Glennon anyway. How then we also get a guy like Spence is in jeopardy aswell. But im sure the 3rd round featured so many sure picks, this guy would have easily have made up for risking to miss out on guys we like.

Looks like some made up their mind because they are not pleased with the overall performance to now complain about how Glennon could have been picked up a few picks later.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#277 : July 28, 2013, 05:40:20 PM

You mean Puke Stocker ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#278 : July 28, 2013, 06:12:55 PM

I doubt Dominik had anything to do with selecting Glennon.   I believe he opted out of that responsibility when Schiano was hired.

That is complete nonsense with zero factual evidence to back it up. The chances of Schiano having total control is slim and none.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#279 : July 28, 2013, 06:14:56 PM

That is complete nonsense with zero factual evidence to back it up. The chances of Schiano having total control is slim and none.

Goode and Tandy? xP

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#280 : July 28, 2013, 06:47:39 PM

Coaches do have a major say in the draft board & evaluation, as they should. Now in free agency, the coach's voice is not heard quite as loudly by the GM... Schiano & Dom are no different. Now if the GM flat can't stand a player's choice of an agent, the GM's POV get's stronger.
     How many here REALLY think Josh Freeman was all Dom's doing?  Neither was Glennon...

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#281 : July 28, 2013, 07:15:45 PM

Good organizations use input from the coach but gives him little actual say in who to draft.

Coaches rarely last as long as a rookie who just signed a 5 year contract. Why allow them to choose some wanky players? Mike Glennon is a perfect example of this.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Ironworker808

Second String

#282 : July 28, 2013, 07:17:34 PM

Coaches do have a major say in the draft board & evaluation, as they should. Now in free agency, the coach's voice is not heard quite as loudly by the GM... Schiano & Dom are no different. Now if the GM flat can't stand a player's choice of an agent, the GM's POV get's stronger.
     How many here REALLY think Josh Freeman was all Dom's doing?  Neither was Glennon...

I think the Glazers told Dom to go find a quarterback and to go find one NOW. Between Freeman being the best one left on the board and Morris talking him up, the decision was made to draft him.

No evidence or links to back that up. It's pure speculation on my part. But I think that the mandate to get a QB came from on high.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#283 : July 28, 2013, 08:07:43 PM

Good organizations use input from the coach but gives him little actual say in who to draft.
such as the patriots under belichek?  any organization under parcells?  who do you think runs the redskins drafts?  the seahawks drafts?  c'mon.  its a partnership in good organizations.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#284 : July 28, 2013, 08:23:38 PM

I think, as with most regimes, Schiano tells Dom and the scouting department what type of players he is specifically looking for at each position. Then the scouting dept. and Dom do their job. They create a board and rank the players as they see fit. Now I am sure Schiano is in on the process and let's it be known what players on the board he likes and dislikes, and if he really feels strongly one way or the other on certain players, then it probably effects Dom's decision...but in the end it is the GMs decision who they draft and who they sign in free agency.

I do think that if the HC has some late rounders that he really really likes, (Tandy & Goode) then the GM probably throws him a bone and will draft those guys....but it's the GM who pays the price for bad drafts and bad contracts. I just don't see him letting the HC decide who they draft in the first 3 rounds or what FAs they give long term mega deals to. 

I know there are exceptions. Guys like Andy Reid, Parcells, Shanahan, and Belichick get total control....but why on Earth would a brand new HC straight from the college ranks get that kind of control? I think that idea is ridiculous.

Page: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools