Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#360 : July 30, 2013, 04:58:19 PM

What if no great QB prospect is available to us and our top40 pick? 
See the Miami Dolphins since Marino retired.

I do not see how this helps us or how it is something we should try to resemble.

You seem to have issues with Glennon just being a potential starter, but our top40 in 2014 is not even a potential QB prospect right now. Sure we can trade up, and maybe some team wants to trade down. But i do not even see how we have a better chance to trade up than other (desperate) teams without a QB at all.

I do not get how we can convince a team to pass on a top40 QB and trade with us instead of some other team, when we do not have anything more to offer than teams like OAK, MIA etc...teams also interested in a QBs.
I do not get how anyone wants to soley rely on our top40 pick in 2014, it does not guarantee a top40 QB at all.
But i understand why people think Bridgewater &Co are nice prospects, worth to be picked up by us, good enough to give up on Freeman and his big contract he will ask for next year. Just why give him another year then? Why not try to get the most out of Freeman...as a trade bait?

Should we have no top40 QB next year, should Freeman be too bad and/or too expensive to hold on to, then Glennon is our starter, if we don not find a better QB elsewhere...like outside the top40. But Glennon in this case has already one year under his belt, compared to the other potential but not starter starters.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#361 : July 30, 2013, 05:15:50 PM

I do not see how this helps us or how it is something we should try to resemble.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying I have the solution to the Bucs' QB situation. The Bucs have had a lot of smart people trying to solve that the last 35 years an no one has gotten it right yet. It's not easy. I'm saying if the Bucs think they're going to solve it with Glennon, chances are it's not going to work and we're going to be right back where we were in the Gruden years hoping some diamond in the rough can become the next Rich Gannon.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

gone

Hall of Famer
#362 : July 30, 2013, 06:40:38 PM

This whole Glennon-Freeman thing is being completely overblown by us fanatics here...

There is no Glennon-Freeman thing at this point.  All there is is a Freeman thing.  If he doesn't improve he will be gone.  If he does improve he will get paid.  If he gets exposed and has a 2011-esque performance then he will be pulled before the end of the season.  Glennon only fits in after one of those three things happen.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#363 : July 31, 2013, 09:14:46 AM

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying I have the solution to the Bucs' QB situation. The Bucs have had a lot of smart people trying to solve that the last 35 years an no one has gotten it right yet. It's not easy. I'm saying if the Bucs think they're going to solve it with Glennon, chances are it's not going to work and we're going to be right back where we were in the Gruden years hoping some diamond in the rough can become the next Rich Gannon.

I already answered this 10 pages ago. Should we already now plan to just go with Glennon, passing on better prospects in next years draft, letting Freeman walk no matter what..then, yes, i also think its a more risky way of building your team, far from smart. Glennon is far from a 'sure' pick... a starter starter.
Just i do not get how this is realistically what Dom has in mind right now. No where did he say to THIS would be the plan.

Even if, drafting Glennon is not the problem here, not drafting any other QB in the next few years would be stupid. I still do not get how you are blaming the Glennon pick for your unreasonable idea of Dom passing on next years QB class.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#364 : July 31, 2013, 09:27:26 AM

Even if, drafting Glennon is not the problem here, not drafting any other QB in the next few years would be stupid. I still do not get how you are blaming the Glennon pick for your unreasonable idea of Dom passing on next years QB class.
I never said that. I said if the Bucs draft a higher rated QB next year to be the starter, then they just wasted a pick on Glennon.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#365 : July 31, 2013, 09:31:27 AM

I never said that. I said if the Bucs draft a higher rated QB next year to be the starter, then they just wasted a pick on Glennon.

This happens by drafting a better QB than Glennon, not by drafting Glennon( the year before). But i guess we do not want a better QB.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#366 : July 31, 2013, 09:39:22 AM

Whose Better, Brees or Rivers?  I think it's safe to say Brees.  Well since the Chargers used a very high pick on Rivers they had to go with him making the 2nd round pick they used on Brees wasted.  Unless you consider the one good year they got out of him to be good value.  If the Bucs use their 1st rounder in 2014 in a QB Glennon isn't going to get the opportunity to start. 

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#367 : July 31, 2013, 09:55:55 AM

Whose Better, Brees or Rivers?  I think it's safe to say Brees.  Well since the Chargers used a very high pick on Rivers they had to go with him making the 2nd round pick they used on Brees wasted.  Unless you consider the one good year they got out of him to be good value.  If the Bucs use their 1st rounder in 2014 in a QB Glennon isn't going to get the opportunity to start.

Lets wait until Glennon is anywhere close to Brees and we have a guy like Rivers to rate over him.

Right now its more like Walter against Russell or Smith/Clemons against Sanchez. Tell me which guys were a worse/more wasted draft pick? But mabye its also Sanchez/ McElroy against G Smith.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#368 : July 31, 2013, 11:19:26 AM

If Freeman flops and the Bucs draft #1 and take the top QB it does NOT mean the Glennon pick was wasted because he would be there for the #1 pick just as he is now for Freeman, as competition and back-up.  Same role, just different guy above.  Its also not like his value just disappears, especialy if he actually shows talent (no different than Mallet or someone like that). Overselling the negative

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#369 : July 31, 2013, 11:39:50 AM

If Freeman flops and the Bucs draft #1 and take the top QB it does NOT mean the Glennon pick was wasted because he would be there for the #1 pick just as he is now for Freeman, as competition and back-up.   
Just like Myron Lewis is there for competition and back-up to Revis.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#370 : July 31, 2013, 12:07:24 PM

If Freeman flops and the Bucs draft #1 and take the top QB it does NOT mean the Glennon pick was wasted because he would be there for the #1 pick just as he is now for Freeman, as competition and back-up.   

I hope you see the difference between Revis and a #1 pick in 2014. I hope you see the difference between a rookie called Glennon and a 3 year veteran CB called Lewis.
I hope you see how Lewis apparently is the 'best' guy available right now for the mini job called backing up a stud. Competition here would cost alot.
How competition is a bad thing WHEN having a stub at QB, i dont get. 'At worst' we trade the backup should he almost be as good as the stud starting or the stud is forced to not get lazy, costing us almost nothing.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#371 : July 31, 2013, 12:40:56 PM

according to you . .  because Glennon is the "new Myron Lewis" . .  . . LMAO . . . . . because .  . .you know . . . .  IF Myron Lews (a 3rd round [pick) doesnt play and Glennon (a 3rd round pick) doesnt play THEN Glennon = Myron Lewis . . . . .  simple FRG "if/then" logic!

Nicks speaks about injury, Winslow speaks about injury . . .  . NICKS = WINSLOW . .  .

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#372 : July 31, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Glennon is going to get every shot he deserves to win the starting spot. He'll get a large majority of the reps during pre-season and make no mistake Schiano WILL pull the trigger if he honestly thinks Glennon gives us a better shot. Honestly though, as much as every hates on Freeman, I don't see Glennon being better at this point. There are a lot of things I like about Glennon, in particular his willingness to fit a ball into a tight space and ability to stand in the pocket. He had garbage for WR last year. He now has, potentially anyways, a pro bowl WR and a very good #2 with an excellent all around RB.

Free's job this year, if he leaves any question, Glennon's job next year.
Well said. Thanks for leaving out the estrogen too.
Freeman is clearly better at this point and only a dullard would argue otherwise. The one thing I'll add is the home crowd wasn't especially enamored with Freeman's erratic play down the stretch.
With the Glazers spending again to put fans back in the seats, its awful to do when your franchise QB is, ahem, unloved.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#373 : July 31, 2013, 05:53:38 PM

If Dom has shown one weakness, it has been reaching in the draft. Often times even trading up in order to make the reach.
Well, I wouldn't limit this weaknesses to one, but the trades to jump a couple of picks, and some picks that seem premature are pretty easy to pick out.

Like jumping up a few spots to get Doug Martin?

Stop trolling, you've been around long enough to know what a reach is.

I sure do, a reach is when posters have to go to extreme lengths to try and justify their otherwise unjustifiable positions, such as trying to justify why Glennon is a waste of a pick.

Unless Glennon is a legitimate starting QB and better than Freeman, then yeah he was a waste. We already have a back up.

And yet, before you even allow him to try and accomplish your criteria, you have already declared him a waste. If he is a total failure, like any pick that fails, then yes it would be a waste, but for now, he is just a rookie trying to make the squad and help the team. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#374 : July 31, 2013, 07:25:29 PM

I'd rather swing and miss on a QB in the third than swing and miss on a SAM or CB in the third.  Josh isn't exactly allowing us to be idle about the QB situation.  The Bucs did exactly what I wanted (and got crap for): they did their research and grabbed a QB in the third. Whether or not Glennon is a future long-term starter for us is not knowable.  But at least they didn't sit on their laurels letting Josh hold their future all to himself.
Page: 1 ... 23 24 25 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools