Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Retired Buc takes Clowney's side on the new Clowney Rules « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 25, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »

Paralyzed ex-player Eric LeGrand says Jadeveon Clowney’s hit was legal

Former Rutgers player is fine with Jadeveon Clowney’s famous hit.

USA Today

By Nate Scott – July 23, 2013 at 10:02pm EDT

Jessica Rinaldi for USA TODAY Sports

If LeGrand says the hit is good, we say it’s good.

There was a bit of buzz yesterday when ACC Supervisor of Officials Doug Rhoads said that under the new hitting guidelines for college football, Jadeveon Clowney’s famous 2012 hit would now be considered illegal and the South Carolina star could be ejected for the action.

Coming to the defense of the hit? Former Rutgers player Eric LeGrand, who was paralyzed after making a tackle in a 2010 game.

LeGrand posted the following on Twitter on Tuesday:

Eric LeGrand        ✔ @EricLeGrand52

There's no way #clowneyhit is illegal. Take it from a guy who broke his neck

4:22 PM - 23 Jul 2013

For us at least, this settles the debate for now. When a guy who paid an immeasurable price for the game of football says a hit is good, then we here at For the Win are going to agree with him.

LeGrand signed a ceremonial contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in May 2012, before retiring from football two months later.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 25, 2013, 12:08:48 AM »

If that hit is illegal, then they might as well just put flags on everyone and play flag football.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 25, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »

If that hit is illegal, then they might as well just put flags on everyone and play flag football.

They are calling it targeting.   If you go after a guy and target him for a big hit, you can be ejected.

Its whack.  I hope the hell they get it ironed out before the season starts.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 25, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »

Take away all this armor and we'll get rid of the big hits by default. Form tackling will be the norm once again.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 25, 2013, 01:08:05 AM »

Take away all this armor and we'll get rid of the big hits by default. Form tackling will be the norm once again.

He actually showed pretty good form on that play.  Wrapped that guy up nicely.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 25, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »

LOL! So what should he just stop himself and lightly tackle the guy? Defenses are getting screwed once again.

Octagenarian

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #6 : July 25, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »

I got a good laugh when the title was retired Buc, then it turned out to be LeGrand.   LOL!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 25, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »

They are calling it targeting.   If you go after a guy and target him for a big hit, you can be ejected.

Targeting ? WTF ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 25, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »

I got a good laugh when the title was retired Buc, then it turned out to be LeGrand.   LOL!
Lol I did too

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 25, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »

My biggest beef is, what do you want the defender to do? Just wrap his arms around him and not try to bring him to the ground? I am so sick of all these B.S. safety rules, football is a contact sport and everyone who plays it knows that, injuries are a part of the game. College football is only doing this because the NFL is trying to force safety on them.

On a side note, I find really funny is the NFL did not go on this ridiculous safety campaign until all the retired players sued the NFL.

bucs63

Starter
« #10 : July 25, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »

Targeting? Doesn't  that mean singling out the man with the ball and tackling him. That was a great tackle in that video.

Lol, me too, about the LeGrand retired thing. I didn't even realize it until I read the comments.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

« #11 : July 25, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

Targeting ? WTF ?

The QB/Coach gave the ball to the Rb, i can see how this puts a big target on him.
If you can not 'defend' your own players on such a play, you better not call it. No clue how this should be the defense's fault though.

I remember the TD by V Young in OT, he did not account for the gentle tackling.attempt in which the defender tried to NOT injure him, he just ran for the TD. If somebody should start worrying about safety its the offense, defense is just about reacting anyway.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 25, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

I guess the issue is that he lowered his helmet. But he lowered it AT THE BALL, not at the player

I'll take that style of hit over the Ruud-style "grab the guys hips from behind" tackle any day.

Theoldbuc

Starter

« #13 : July 25, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »

Targeting ? WTF ?

Maybe they'll start making defenders wear blindfolds. That way there won't be any "targeting" of ball cariers. All tackles will be accidental! Yea, that's the ticket!  ::)

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 25, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »

He actually showed pretty good form on that play.  Wrapped that guy up nicely.

Go watch rugby and get back to me.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Retired Buc takes Clowney's side on the new Clowney Rules « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools