Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tarell Brown lost $2M over missed 49ers workouts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : July 28, 2013, 08:28:43 AM »

Fires his agent.....what should the team have done? Reminded hm or pointed out the clause?  Brown actually learned about his loss via a tweet from a blogger.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Tarell Brown lost $2M over missed 49ers workouts

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Updated: July 26, 2013 at 06:20 p.m.

Tarell Brown left $2 million on the table this offseason. This hardly was part of the plan.

The San Francisco 49ers cornerback was due to earn $2.925 million in 2013, the final year of his contract. To collect $2 million of that salary, he was obligated to attend offseason workouts with the team. Unaware that his attendance was contractually mandatory, Brown worked out on his own in Texas.

He didn't realize he had cost himself dearly until Thursday, when he saw reports on Twitter. He immediately fired his agent, Brian Overstreet.

"No one wants to leave money on the table," Brown said Thursday, via The Associated Press. "If I would have known the clauses in my contract -- that's what agents get paid to do, to orchestrate the contract and to let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That's what he got paid to do. He didn't do that, so in my opinion, you have to be let go. We all are held accountable for our actions. This is part of the business."

After finishing what we imagine was a tremendously pleasant conversation with Mr. Overstreet, Brown reached out to the 49ers. Unfortunately for the 28-year-old, "there wasn't too much I really could say."

"It had nothing to do with not being in shape, not wanting to work out, no contract problems, it just had to do with me wanting to go back home and train," Brown said. "It's something I've been doing for the past few years."

Brown said he plans to sit down with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in an effort to work out a compromise of some kind.

"Hope for the best," Brown said. "Pray for me."

Let's throw in a prayer for the agent, too. What a mess.
« : July 28, 2013, 08:30:17 AM Morgan »

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 28, 2013, 08:35:33 AM »

Was waiting to see what became of this...what a dumb azz. Both parties.

Get yer azz into camp son!  So I take it they are not going to be sympathetic to his cause?  I wouldn't. Should have been there.

Octagenarian

Starter

« #2 : July 28, 2013, 08:53:17 AM »

The agent should have to pay that $2 million.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 28, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »

Players have a lot of free time during their off seasons - doesn't take a lot to read their own contracts and ask questions. I wonder if the Bucs remind players about off-season workouts and contract commitments. 

Did the Niners play a game of gotcha with Tarell?

Octagenarian

Starter

« #4 : July 28, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

Players have a lot of free time during their off seasons - doesn't take a lot to read their own contracts and ask questions. I wonder if the Bucs remind players about off-season workouts and contract commitments. 

Did the Niners play a game of gotcha with Tarell?

So what is the agent being paid for?    That's the agent's responsibility.   He negotiated that strange contract with that clause, he should have been all over it reminding his client about that clause.    The agent was negligent and should be sued.   

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 28, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »

The player should be aware of the clause too. It's not like he's some sheep that they have to guide to where he needs to be. Why not take the responsibility of knowing how exactly you are being paid? Agent dropped the ball by not reminding him but he's acting like another entitled athlete there too. He should have been accountable for knowing it before he lost money. Get your ass to camp and work with your team anyway, not only because it financially benefits you.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 28, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »

We all deal with doctors, lawyer, accountants, teachers, police, etc. If you take what people say to you at face value and do not take charge of your life and personally review, research and understand everything, or at a minimum get a second and third opinion on important matters, then you need to get run over by the truck that is called ĹIFE´. This guy is as dumb as Eric Wright, who had $37 big one in his pocket and............you know the story. DUMB AZZ

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 28, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »

The player should be aware of the clause too. It's not like he's some sheep that they have to guide to where he needs to be. Why not take the responsibility of knowing how exactly you are being paid? Agent dropped the ball by not reminding him but he's acting like another entitled athlete there too. He should have been accountable for knowing it before he lost money. Get your ass to camp and work with your team anyway, not only because it financially benefits you.
probably can't read.  His parents apparently can't spell. 

tmac87

Starter
« #8 : July 28, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »

We all deal with doctors, lawyer, accountants, teachers, police, etc. If you take what people say to you at face value and do not take charge of your life and personally review, research and understand everything, or at a minimum get a second and third opinion on important matters, then you need to get run over by the truck that is called ĹIFE´. This guy is as dumb as Eric Wright, who had $37 big one in his pocket and............you know the story. DUMB AZZ

Well said.

Lets f&#(!^ do this Lovie!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 28, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »

Well said.
yup.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 28, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »

Being that most agents will do just about anything to keep their clients, I'm sure things like this were expected to be kept up with.

Yes, it's HIs money, but the agent is supposed to make sure he gets it. Especially if the agent is getting a percentage. It hurts the agents pocket too.

Most pro Athletes don't do their own paperwork. That's what being rich and having your own lawyers/agents is for. I see why he's upset with that agent, but he could've practiced a little personal responsability as well. Makes me wonder if they weren't playing "Pac-man and bodygaurd in bathroom" (snort) when they received the contract.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 28, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »

That's a dumb **CENSORED**ing agent.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 28, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »

i would like to hear the agents side of the story first...i would tend to assume that the agent isnt in the wrong.  wouldnt the agent get paid for that 2mil?    but possibly he's not a real good agent.  i would think that any agent that gets a 2mil bonus for a player just to work out would be a good agent to have.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 28, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »

How does this happen?  i find it hard to believe that Brown was unaware of this (at least when he signed the deal).  He obviously needed a reminder though and didn't get one.    You wouldn't expect a player to be able to quote specific line items within his contract but they should all at least know how much they make and how they can earn bonuses.  Some of this is on Brown too.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 28, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »

This was a hot topic the last couple days.

A former NFL player told me its all on the player. The agent works for the player. Its the players job to keep up on EVERYTHING.  The player tells the agent, get me this clause in the contract, or get me that pay incentive. No excuse that Brown didn't know all the ins and out of the contract.  Its supposed to be Tarell Brown Inc.  With him calling all the shots.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tarell Brown lost $2M over missed 49ers workouts « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools