Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sheridan has got more of a handle of the system « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 29, 2013, 12:42:03 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Stephen Holder

Here's something interesting I learned this week about #Bucs defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan

We always knew Sheridan was brought to Tampa to run Greg Schiano's defense. This was something that Sheridan himself made clear on Day 1.
But I now know that we didn't fully appreciate what that meant. Sheridan had to not only teach his players the scheme, but had to learn it himself. That's something that had to make his job rather difficult.
Whereas offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan was running a system he had been using for years, Sheridan was not running a defense that he had mastered. How much this impacted his ability to make defensive calls on game day is hard to say, but it can't be dismissed as a factor.
In Year 2 under Schiano, Sheridan is much better positioned. He's got more of a handle of the system, and he's seen it in action for 16 games. I still wonder about some of the high-risk coverages he used, often with disastrous results, but he's got better personnel to work with, which helps.
In conclusion, how much Sheridan develops, I think, is directly related to how successful the Bucs' defense is in 2013.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 29, 2013, 06:02:03 PM

Not very encouraging news there.  Schiano couldn't find someone who knew the system already?  Instead of doing "on the job training" with Sheridan?  I doubt better personnel will fix a lousy scheme.

Hopefully, if the D is a disaster once again, they won't wait too long to pull the trigger and make Wannstadt the DC and let him run his own D.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Netwalker

Rookie

#2 : July 29, 2013, 07:00:31 PM

Remember, Schianno was hired late in the game.  So too were the assistant coaches he hired.  There was not a lot of availability.

Netwalker

Rookie

#3 : July 29, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

Remember, Schianno was hired late in the game.  So too were the assistant coaches he hired.  There was not a lot of availability.

bucs63

Starter

#4 : July 29, 2013, 07:31:07 PM

Bob Fraser is now the Assistant Defensive Coordinator. He should be able to help Sheridan handle Schiano's defense. He was the Rutgers DC for 4 years before jumping ship with Schiano last year.

And it was just reported by the new LB coach that this D is the same as Rutgers', with a few twists.
: July 29, 2013, 07:32:58 PM bucs63

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 29, 2013, 08:47:59 PM

Bob Fraser is now the Assistant Defensive Coordinator. He should be able to help Sheridan handle Schiano's defense. He was the Rutgers DC for 4 years before jumping ship with Schiano last year.

And it was just reported by the new LB coach that this D is the same as Rutgers', with a few twists.

That is kind of the problem though.  Rutgers this, Rutgers that.  This is a professional football team. I like Schiano, but he seems to be heavily into hiring his old buddies, and guys that gave him a break years ago. That's great, but how about hiring the best guy for the job.  Sheridan was a huge mistake. Will he resurrect his career this season?  Time will tell.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#6 : July 29, 2013, 08:52:43 PM

I dig the Rutgers this and that Commeny. It's spot on. Fork that, it's the big league not the Big East.
If the D flops, Schiano has a major problem.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 29, 2013, 09:18:31 PM

I would love to find out but clearly dont have the time nor desire to research all 31 other teams head coaches and the assistants they brought on board from previous regimes... I do not believe in any way that this is specific to Schiano.

Netwalker

Rookie

#8 : July 29, 2013, 09:23:05 PM

So quick to find someone to blame.  If the defense produces this season, will it be coaching, players, or both?  If the defense comes through, will Sheridan and the 'Rutgers D' still be a mistake?  Or will you credit someone else?  That same D produced the number 1 run defense in the country last year - up from the worst.  Some credit please.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 29, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

So quick to find someone to blame.  If the defense produces this season, will it be coaching, players, or both?  If the defense comes through, will Sheridan and the 'Rutgers D' still be a mistake?  Or will you credit someone else?  That same D produced the number 1 run defense in the country last year - up from the worst.  Some credit please.

That is great and all.  But it doesn't matter if your pass D is getting shredded.   I would guess any coaching staff in the league could have their players rated #1 in the league in run defense, all they would have to do is sell out the pass D. 

Balance is the key IMO.  I would guess the Bucs would of won more games last season if they were say, 10-15 in run defense, and 10-15 in pass defense.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

shrico

Practice Squad

#10 : July 29, 2013, 09:54:19 PM

get a clue people- Schiano's scheme in last years Rutger's D was the result of scheme and coaching considering they don't get the 4,5star players like in the SEC and is for real.  Rutger's D has been competitive in the last decade and says a lot for them again since they could only recruit 2 or 3 star player (ie. Ray rice was a 3star).  Sheridan is basically a puppet on Sunday while the new assistant D coach should most of the game planning during the week.

shrico

Practice Squad

#11 : July 29, 2013, 09:55:06 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/40936/curtain-call-for-special-rutgers-defense

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 29, 2013, 11:23:42 PM

It was a steep learning curve for everyone last season; late-arriving HC, late-arriving assistants, then a new system for the players too. And a lot of injuries. The upgrades we've made in personnel on D plus the experience gained from last year's group should yield far better results this season! 

Netwalker

Rookie

#13 : July 29, 2013, 11:36:58 PM

We all knew that a new Bucs contender was not going to be built in one year after the Morris debacle.  First a coaching staff was needed to set a new direction.  The Schianno era has arrived.  Then the problem children had to be weeded out.  Most are now gone.  New players had to be brought in.  Not just any players but the right players for a contending team.  Last year was a big step up.  The offense was vastly improved.  Now it's the defense, especially the secondary.  There's only so much can be done in a given period of time.  This is not fantasy football.  The good news is the Bucs are way better on paper, and anyone paying attention knows it.  Unfortunately paper is all there is to go on right now.  But the games are a coming.  Go Bucs.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sheridan has got more of a handle of the system « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools