Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tarell Brown lost $2M over missed 49ers workouts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#30 : July 28, 2013, 08:37:05 PM

Where was the team the first week the guy didn't show up for workouts? Didn't make a call. Played a game of gotcha? Isn't it in the best interest of the team to have their players workout? Isn't that why they put it in the contract?
its not the teams job.  and after the 1st week he has already missed workouts so he doesnt get the bonus. 

49ers come out of this great...they have a player who allegedly worked out all offseason.  they have a coach who can publicly look like the good guy.  and they have a contract that saves the owners 2 mil.
nevermind.........According to Harbaugh, the 49ers didn't realize it either. Harbaugh said the team would have alerted Brown had it known.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 28, 2013, 08:38:53 PM

Where was the team the first week the guy didn't show up for workouts? Didn't make a call. Played a game of gotcha? Isn't it in the best interest of the team to have their players workout? Isn't that why they put it in the contract?
its not the teams job.  and after the 1st week he has already missed workouts so he doesnt get the bonus. 

49ers come out of this great...they have a player who allegedly worked out all offseason.  they have a coach who can publicly look like the good guy.  and they have a contract that saves the owners 2 mil.

and they have a disgruntled player starting on their defense keeping opponents from scoring TDs ----and I believe he's due to be a free agent next season (could be mistaken)........best to have the players on the squad believe the organization is looking after their best interest and not playing a game of gotcha.
That same player will be trying to bend that organization over when it's time for contract negotiations no matter if they give him the 2 million for his own mistake or not. He'll say this a business and he has to do the best he can do for himself. I wouldn't give him jack.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 28, 2013, 08:51:45 PM

The team will pay him some or all of that money. Right or wrong, that's the smart thing to do. They don't want distractions.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 28, 2013, 09:03:25 PM

The team will pay him some or all of that money. Right or wrong, that's the smart thing to do. They don't want distractions.

I rarely agree with you - but do this time. You don't screw over your own players because of a mistake like that - sounds like he did a good job working on his own, anyway.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 28, 2013, 09:07:51 PM

I rarely agree with you - but do this time. You don't screw over your own players because of a mistake like that - sounds like he did a good job working on his own, anyway.

Yeah, if he's in shape, I see no reason for SF to keep that money. Unless they want to make an example of him and that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 28, 2013, 09:39:54 PM

Yeah, if he's in shape, I see no reason for SF to keep that money. Unless they want to make an example of him and that doesn't seem to be the case.

It would be dependent on who the player is IMO.  If its Kaepernik for instance, no way they would screw him.  But if its a Eric Wright type situation, they would jump on that error big time.  I don't know anything about the guy, if he is mission essential for them,  or just a scrub.

And as someone mentioned, Harbough said today, they had no knowledge of the situation beforehand.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 28, 2013, 09:46:02 PM

He's a starter.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 28, 2013, 09:48:23 PM

He's a starter.

Oh ok, thanks.  See, that changes everything.  I would assume him and the team come to some sort of agreement. 

Octagenarian

Starter

#38 : July 28, 2013, 10:57:00 PM

Its the players job to keep up on EVERYTHING. 

Then why pay the agent a percentage?   

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 28, 2013, 11:07:33 PM

Similar reason as to why we pay taxes. Well not YOU, but you get the idea.

Sig change requested by \"threadkiller\". I delivered with the most disturbing thing I came across on the college boards x)

Octagenarian

Starter

#40 : July 28, 2013, 11:10:51 PM

Similar reason as to why we pay taxes.

Terrible analogy and not even close to being accurate.   My guess is you do not pay taxes.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 28, 2013, 11:18:06 PM

Similar reason as to why we pay taxes. Well not YOU, but you get the idea.

Terrible analogy and not even close to being accurate.   My guess is you do not pay taxes.

It's pretty good. You pay the agent a chunk of your salary in order to have him do his duties. Such as getting you a better contract deal.

I'm no Romney or Obama, but if you'd like to see my tax return, you're welcome to come by and check it out.

Sig change requested by \"threadkiller\". I delivered with the most disturbing thing I came across on the college boards x)

Octagenarian

Starter

#42 : July 28, 2013, 11:21:08 PM

You pay the agent a chunk of your salary in order to have him do his duties. Such as getting you a better contract deal.

So a "better" contract deal is a deal where the agent doesn't make sure you get the bulk of your salary?    That agent failed big time.   It's 100% the agent's fault here.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 28, 2013, 11:52:20 PM

To negotiate contracts. And place a value on his player.

sammich

Starter

#44 : July 29, 2013, 04:42:18 AM

If the niners didn't know about it AND the player didn't know about it then how does the media know and why is it an issue?  And I'm sorry, but I still think this is on the player.  An agent is not a nanny and shouldn't have to come to a player's house and beat on their door to get them to go to practice.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tarell Brown lost $2M over missed 49ers workouts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools