Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vincent Jackson wants people to know.....He's much more than a home run hitter « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 01, 2013, 12:23:59 AM

Vincent Jackson proves versatility with Bucs

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer 

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:45pm

TAMPA

With his long strides, towering frame and considerable speed, Vincent Jackson is seen as the perfect downfield target for quarterback Josh Freeman in the Bucs' big-play offense.

Clearly, that's a compliment. So why exactly is the receiver trying to shake what seems like a solid reputation?

Because, Jackson will tell you, that is hardly an accurate description of his wide-ranging skill set. He's much more than a home run hitter, thank you very much. Last season he proved he can play small ball, too.

"You look at me statistically and it's always (about) yards per catch and me being a deep threat," Jackson, 6 feet 5, 230 pounds, said. "I take pride in that, but I also take pride in being a bigger guy who can go inside and run intermediate routes, can match up on nickelbacks and safeties and get the middle crosses and stuff like that.

"It's about how I can implement (things) in the offense to make us better. If I can take some heat off the other receivers or help us get the safety deep down the field and let (running back Doug Martin) get out on a screen, that's the fun part of the game."

For the record, Jackson led the NFL in yards per catch in 2012 with a 19.2 average. So, yeah, he's a deep threat.

But in his first season after signing a five-year, $55 million deal, he displayed greater diversity in his game. Typecast during his seven seasons with the Chargers as a one-dimensional player, Jackson delivered a performance last season that provided extensive evidence to the contrary.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano wasn't sure to what extent Jackson would add to his repertoire, though he said Jackson sometimes lined up in the slot with San Diego. It was Jackson's willingness to do more that made the difference.

"I think Vincent is a consummate pro," Schiano said. "Now you have a change of systems (in Tampa Bay) that allows you to do some other things. If you have a veteran guy who is not a pro like Vincent, he doesn't want to change. Vincent welcomed change with open arms. He looked at it as an opportunity to be a more versatile receiver. That's exactly what he's become. He'll line up anywhere from next to the tackle all the way out to the No. 1 (outside) receiver and everything in between."

Why, you might ask, does this even matter? Because at this level of football, where every tendency is exhaustively dissected by opposing coaches, teams are looking to create even the slightest advantage. With offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan using Jackson in a variety of spots and roles, the Bucs can do just that.

"Defenses can't just say, 'Okay, Vincent's always going to be on the weakside. We can just double-team him all the time,' " Jackson said. "We're very diverse. We move people around, and we keep defenses on their heels. I think that's going to be a big advantage for us."

Jackson has seen his share of double-teams. But with his role becoming less predictable, teams double him at their peril.

"That makes it hard if a defense is trying to take him out of the game," Schiano said. "Certainly, they can double him. But the more places he is, the more (adjustments) you need to double him. It's not the two guys who are doubling him. It's everybody else fitting the coverage around him."

So go ahead and call Jackson whatever you wish. After posting career highs in catches (72) and yards (1,384) last season, evidence is mounting he's more than once thought.

"Vincent is a guy who people slap a label on," Freeman said. "But Vincent wants to be an all-around receiver. He can do it all."

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 01, 2013, 12:48:06 AM

Honestly, he's such a good deep threat, I really wouldn't care if he was one-dimensional.  Thankfully, he's not, but yeah.

gone

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 01, 2013, 01:27:05 AM

If he didn't have such a one-dimensional QB throwing it to him he wouldn't have to remind people he isn't a one-dimensional WR.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 01, 2013, 01:48:15 AM

If he didn't have such a one-dimensional QB throwing it to him he wouldn't have to remind people he isn't a one-dimensional WR.
+1

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of havoc Jackson would create with someone like Manning or Brady throwing him the ball.
: August 01, 2013, 01:55:16 AM DeltaBuc5

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 01, 2013, 08:50:01 AM

He's not Aaron Rogers but not as bad as you want to make him out to be.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 01, 2013, 12:24:25 PM

My only question is how is Jon Gruden such an offensive genius when he couldn't even get his two best receivers on the field at the same time because they played the same position?

Since VJax set new personal highs for catches and yardage, in his first year in a new system with Josh Freeman, and LED THE LEAGUE in ypc, I'd say Manning and Brady have something to live up to.

It's really too bad it's illegal to hire an exterminator for idiots like you can for roaches. Apparently Florida has an infestation of both.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 01, 2013, 12:29:28 PM

You really can't go a single thread without finding a way to try and bash Freeman, huh?

This is just another fail attempt to bash Freeman seeing as in the one year Freeman and V-Jax played together, V-Jax had the best season of his career.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 01, 2013, 12:47:55 PM

You really can't go a single thread without finding a way to try and bash Freeman, huh?

This is just another fail attempt to bash Freeman seeing as in the one year Freeman and V-Jax played together, V-Jax had the best season of his career.

And then he'll tell he has no bias, no agenda. It's just being real and objective. I can't even type it without laughing out loud. That's some funny stuff.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 01, 2013, 01:22:56 PM

And then he'll tell he has no bias, no agenda. It's just being real and objective. I can't even type it without laughing out loud. That's some funny stuff.

Yep. I've seen him randomly bash Freeman in threads that have nothing to do with him multiple times just this week alone.

Don't know what his deal is, but he obviously has some sort of bias against Freeman. Hilarious that he tries denying it.

*waits for Caradoc to respond saying the Freepologists defend Freeman too much*

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 01, 2013, 08:18:02 PM

Vince is a great player, but he is only half of the equation. If the QB can't get him the ball, it won't matter where he lines up. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 01, 2013, 08:30:29 PM

Vince is a great player, but he is only half of the equation. If the QB can't get him the ball, it won't matter where he lines up.

He broke his single season record for receiving last year. Rivers who was once considered elite didn't top his career numbers and he never had a WR as good as Mike next to him. Freeman was inconsistent last year but he's not as bad as many have made him out to be.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vincent Jackson wants people to know.....He's much more than a home run hitter « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools