Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It seems like DTN will be a natural fit as a starting LDE? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#15 : August 15, 2013, 04:16:07 PM

im looking at 12 sacks for DTN this year
i think he can do it too.  He just needs to channel all that anger he has pent up inside of him and go all waterboy. 

Ryan Nassib

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#16 : August 15, 2013, 04:49:34 PM

i think he can do it too.  He just needs to channel all that anger he has pent up inside of him and go all waterboy.

Amazing to think we could of had Bennet, Abraham or Freeney.

The Cannon Rides the Wave, Do You?? 2013: The Dream Season

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#17 : August 15, 2013, 05:09:45 PM

Amazing to think we could of had Bennet, Abraham or Freeney.

nah

Super Selmon

Starter
#18 : August 15, 2013, 05:18:18 PM

Still think it will be Clayborn and Bowers to start the season.

Bowers is just not in football shape yet.

Coach knows what he is doing, He is playing the tough love card on Bowers

DaQuan needs to get his mind off getting hurt and play aggressive, he has the talent to become a PRO BOWLER.

All I really know is that he was really fun to watch at Clemson.

kbl117

Starter

#19 : August 15, 2013, 05:21:24 PM

A NATURAL fit for a BACKUP, hes a square peg in a round hole as a starter. Brilliant forsight exhibited on the part of Dominik here. That it doesn't even take until the 2nd week of preseason for that to become evident is all that is shocking

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#20 : August 15, 2013, 05:22:47 PM

DaQuan needs to get his mind off getting hurt and play aggressive, he has the talent to become a PRO BOWLER.

Ya I haven't lost faith in Bowers

I have a feeling that once he gets his fundamentals down more, and learns the "no-fun" schematic kind of things he needs to do, that afterwards they'll sort of turn him loose a little bit more, and allow him to do more of the things that he did at Clemson.  But he needs to get that foundation

At Clemson it was just "go get the QB" - but in the NFL its a little bit more complicated than that.  So I think for sure there's going to be some slow going in the beginning, or hell even into mid way through the season, but I bet by the end of the season we'll see a lot more productive Bowers, and I know nobody has the patience for it, but next year he should really be... what's that they say??? Baller status?

until then its ALL DTN ALL DAY BABY
: August 15, 2013, 05:24:25 PM beardmcdoug

kbl117

Starter

#21 : August 15, 2013, 05:27:59 PM

Big downgrade from Bennett

It is a wash with AC back.

I think 2013 AC/DTN combo can be better than the 2012 Bennett/DTN combo from my view.

Without a viable threat on the other side, he's going to get chipped on every passing down

Leaving McCoy 1v1 on the inside is going to be a gamble if teams choose to chip AC. On passing downs Landri/Bowers/Gholston will line up next to McCoy and teams will have a hard time letting one of these guys go 1v1.

There are some TERRIFIC homers here, thats for sure

Who will fear going 1on1 vs Landri? The guy has pass rush ability similar to Roy Miller.

Who  will fear blocking Gholstona nd give me one good argument whyy they should fear blocking him 1on1 right now? Simply saying because youre a Bucs fan and it will make your day for him to turn out to be good with no evidence to back this up, isn't a valid argument

If you chip Clayborn, and have a C/G tandem working McCoy, this leaves YOUR above stated 3rd feared pass rusher in 1on1s, DaQuan Bowers, who 2 and 1/2 weeks into training camp has been DEMOTED to 3rd down pass rusher in practice with absolutely NO competition forcing that decision

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 15, 2013, 05:28:06 PM

WTF is up with Bowers?? Just not getting it done.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#23 : August 15, 2013, 05:31:45 PM

I have the feeling he's learning football for the first time in his life

I mean, here's Suh in his 4th year talking about just really learning football
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/14/ndamukong-suh-its-not-all-about-brute-strength-anymore/

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 15, 2013, 05:41:48 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/14/ndamukong-suh-its-not-all-about-brute-strength-anymore/

Idk about that one. Schiano usually doesn't put any stock into players who don't KNOW the game (live it). Basically, they have to be FANS of the sport.

IF it is as you say, Schiano would only be doing this "training" of bowers to see if he can get the butter from the duck and try to recoup the pick.

Otherwise, bowers knows football, but he's just not getting it done. Either would be a problem.

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#25 : August 15, 2013, 05:51:00 PM

Idk about that one. Schiano usually doesn't put any stock into players who don't KNOW the game (live it). Basically, they have to be FANS of the sport.

IF it is as you say, Schiano would only be doing this "training" of bowers to see if he can get the butter from the duck and try to recoup the pick.

Otherwise, bowers knows football, but he's just not getting it done. Either would be a problem.

Well, the dude did have 15.5 sacks and 26 TFL his senior year, there IS some talent down in there, the question is whether there is SKILL

and I think Schiano thinks himself enough of a teacher to instill that 'skill' that Bowers needs to be a dominant NFL DE.   But Schiano's defense is very much about cohesiveness and personal sacrifice for the overall goal

So I think Schiano is determined to "rebuild" Bowers with a technically sound foundation, and allow him to truly reach his potential, while keeping the cohesive nature of the overall defense. 

Raheem's defense was more - everybody fly around and see what kind of plays you can make

With Schiano there is a very well defined plan - and if everybody sticks to it, the potential is a higher level of dominance than achievable in a "selfish" attitude style defense

To be honest, I could see Bowers putting up pretty good numbers in a selfish defense (kind of like what he did at Clemson), but if he learns the fundamentals, and does some things that he doesn't want to do sometimes, his potential is limitless, because we know the talent is down in there somewhere

and I also could be entirely wrong and Bowers is just a lazy sack of **CENSORED** who doesn't care about football or his career, and schiano is just some bully looking to pick on somebody

Also, I'd like to add that I do think Bowers is a little... slow... because it really shouldn't take this long to learn the things he needs to learn.  that's the only thing keeping this all from happening
: August 15, 2013, 06:05:31 PM beardmcdoug

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 15, 2013, 05:56:01 PM

What Suh is talking about is not "learning football for the first time in his life".  He's talking about the process and results of becoming a veteran.  Da'Quan is entering his third year in the league.  He may not have the in-game experience, he has had plenty of instruction and should already know the "no-fun" parts of the job and understand the schemes.  ANd anyway, he's getting his ass kicked physically and was owned in game one by backups and rooks for Pete's sake , so that's not about "learning football"

"Tough love card"?  Hell no.  Schiano and the organization have got to be totally pissed of at Bowers by now.  They took a huge gamble on him and the guy showed up to camp in such great shape that he can't even keep up in practice?  He's not a rook, he know what the level of practices is gonna be.  He's gotta be in the doghouse right now.  Deep in it.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 15, 2013, 06:12:51 PM

DTN's third year is pretty comparable to Bennett's third year. Hopefully he makes a leap in his fourth season like Bennett did.

Amen. DTN was out of position last year. There is every possibility that he has a break out year at LDE and Clayborn will almost certainly outperform last year's output at RDE.

It's strange but I feel much much better about our DE situation now that it seems that Bowers won't be gifted the job.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 15, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

Great post. This is what many people don't realize. A lot of college players with insane talent are allowed to just line up and play. Reading the camp news the other day when they were explaining that Bowers seemed to be lost in all of those drills made me think of this. Being a professional is being a student of the game. Studying tape and understanding drills and how those drills can make you a better player.

I don't think Bowers gets it. Could simply be a lack of desire or lack of mental capacity.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 15, 2013, 06:43:32 PM

Why is he NOT in shape?  He came BACK from the injury so that's a pretty weak excuse.  This board has been full of excuses for years now.  I'm pretty sick of them.  Excuses for Freeman, Dom, Raheem, Schiano and everyone else.  Enough is enough is enough.  Time to stop the excuses and start winning.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It seems like DTN will be a natural fit as a starting LDE? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools