Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to expect with Glennon/Scheme « previous next »
Page: 1

Mic

Starter

: September 29, 2013, 12:10:53 PM

Recently there's been some complaints about the scheme about our receivers continuously running vertical,That isnt necessarily problem cause I do believe Mike and Vjax are gonna come down with them more than not, the problem is that we only have receivers running deep without shorter patterns to dumpoff/checkdown that forces Josh to hold on the ball too long and take sacks.

Another reason our offense is struggling is that Freeman always had difficulties playing against man defense,his accuracy issues and his inability to throw receivers open especially on short routes allows defense to play man and force Josh to beat them, which he didn't necessarily do but throw those 50/50 jump balls to our wideouts in the recent years. I say recent because when Josh still liked running/breaking the pocket Coordinators were more hesitant to run man since Db's would have their backs turned to Josh which allowed him to pickup crucial first downs with his legs, plays would also break down which has players scrambling all over the field where receivers are running to open areas when Josh doesn't need precision accuracy to hit his receivers

The lack of TE play is more Freeman's fault then the TE's Freeman simply doesnt look/trust them for anything other than to be his last read as an outlet. In the Pats game last week if you can remember where Free threw to Mike with Wright running a wheel in same area on opposite end of the field Bynam was open on a corner route with safety over the top who didnt have the angle, Freeman saw him but simply thought he had a better chance with a jump ball to Mike Will. Don't anticipate Vjax to keep 53% of the targets this year with Glennon

If were gonna play to Glennon strengths and the mantra of starting a rookie quarterback, Sully needs to change up the playcalling i'll expect to see a lot more routes going to flats from the backfield and short drag routes which Glennon efficiently throws for receivers to gain YAC, something I've rarely see Freeman throw well, you can see this in the second half of the FSU game he played with the overuse of drag/crossing routes they ran vs FSU's man D

(2minutes in)

and maybe just maybe Sully can finally call a screen something we ran well last year

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102500/2012/REG8/buccaneers@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=recap (64 yard screen)

The biggest con on Glennon is not necessarily his decision making its that I see he trusts his arm a little too much whereas he'll try to fit throws in extremely small windows which will result in interceptions.

Glennon can do everything and provide more than what Freeman can do now ever since Free stopped running which was throw up 50/50 jump ball. Glennon is a better pocket passer than Freeman so the offense will run better under Glennon

We'll continue to run the occasional slant pass to vjax and those 50/50 balls but we'll start seeing more of the TE's, slot receiver's, and Rb's in the passing game.

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#1 : September 29, 2013, 12:31:57 PM

I'm hearing the argument for Glennon, but he's still a rookie; I still expect a week one(for Glennon) loss.

Ali Akbar Khan Raga Chandranandan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtXORtvvYM

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#2 : September 29, 2013, 12:49:31 PM

Hopefully they adjust the offensive scheme to help the rookie out.  But that may be giving this coaching staff to much credit.

Mic

Starter

#3 : September 29, 2013, 02:31:36 PM

Glennon is doing what he does well, dumpoffs that hit receivers in stride and more Te's and running back action in the passing game,

We even saw a screen! albeit it didnt work needed better execution 3 lineman were standing around watching Doug

Jumper

Second String

#4 : September 29, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

They need to either work the screen a lot more or toss it out of the playbook, they run the worst looking screens I've ever seen.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to expect with Glennon/Scheme « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools