Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 19, 2013, 02:34:35 AM

The Buccaneers' pass rush lacks talent, coaching

By Sander Philipse

Aug 18 2013, 7:28pm

Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers lack a pass rush, and the causes are multiple and many.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need a pass rush this season. Any kind of pass rush would help, really. So far we've only seen one player make an impact in the preseason as a pass rusher: Gerald McCoy. No one else has stepped up, which should be a concern. The main concern for the Buccaneers appears to be defensive end Da'Quan Bowers.

He's why the Bucs let Michael Bennett leave. Bennett and his 9 sacks in 2012. Bennett who has looked very good for Seattle in the preseason so far. Meanwhile, the Buccaneers are struggling to find anyone to rush the passer. They don't have a second defensive tackle who can do so, or even a first defensive end, and Bennett could have made an impact there.

Of course, having Adrian Clayborn injured doesn't help. And of course, Da'Quan Bowers had some admitted conditioning issues, which didn't help in the first preseason game. He was fine last game, though. Not dominant, but still pretty good. But the issue is -- there's no one who can help McCoy. No one.

Steven Means is a neat player with some good talent -- but he is super raw, and can only bull rush at this point. He needs more time. Daniel Te'o-Nesheim is a nice, try-hard player, but he doesn't have the physical talent to be an impact pass-rusher. William Gholston is a decent run defender and he has the physical talent to maybe develop into a pass rusher on the inside, or a limited bull rusher on the outside, but he isn't there yet. The only player who I have some hope for this season is Aaron Morgan -- and he hasn't taken a snap this preseason due to an injury.

The other issue, though, and we keep coming back to this, is badly executed and badly designed stunts and blitzes. The Buccaneers didn't blitz a ton against Tom Brady, and probably rightly so, but they sure had their defensive line move after the snap a lot. And that can certainly help, but there are two problems with stunts: they take time to develop, and they are easily neutralized if not perfectly executed.

Watch the highlights from the Patriots opening drive, including the two-point conversion. Those are five passes. Five. All of them featured the defensive line stunting. None of those stunts came even remotely close to threatening Brady. In fact, the only one to even sniff Brady's breath was Akeem Spence on a nice quick move on the center on the first place. That's horrendous.

So, here's the thing. The Buccaneers are not good at defensive line stunts. In fact, they haven't been good at them since Monte Kiffin left in 2008. Stunts can certainly be very useful, and the Bucs used to rely on them heavily back in the glory days. But they work when they're properly executed. And every bit of game tape I can watch says that the Bucs are awful at executing stunts.

The Bucs are awful at stunts.

The Bucs are awful at stunts.

The Bucs are awful at stunts

By all means, practice the stunts. They're useful. Throw them out there in preseason. Drill them into your players' skulls.

But please, please stop using them if they don't work. Don't call them on third down when your players have never shown that they can use them to get to the quarterbacks. Stop satisfying your coaching genius with stuff that hasn't worked for the Bucs for years. Just stop it.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/8/18/4634646/the-buccaneers-pass-rush-lacks-talent-coaching

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 19, 2013, 03:18:16 AM

No more stunts!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 19, 2013, 03:19:12 AM

Time will tell.

As of right now, I don't put much of anything at all in this preseason.

I just want the Bucs to stay healthy for the duration of these worthless games.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 19, 2013, 05:35:47 PM

Stunts is the worst possible call against a high paced three step drop quick strike offense the Patriots feature.  That is easy pickings for Brady and his offensive line to defend against.  Frankly a straight up rush would find it difficult to counter 3 step drops but it makes it more interesting.

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 19, 2013, 05:42:02 PM

I am hoping that the stunting is just to get the new guys used to them and that they look worse than they are because we are still hiding the blitzes we will run behind them in the regular season. 

BucsSavant

Starter

#5 : August 19, 2013, 05:52:20 PM

It is both. It has been mentioned how awful the stunts are many times, but truthfully the talent isn't much better. Not sold on Bowers, and Clayborn is a nice player but he is more of a high-motor guy than a true pass rusher. I think about 7-8 sacks a year is what to expect from him if healthy. This team needs Bowers to have 10+ sacks to have any hope of a decent pass rush, and I have trouble seeing that scenario come true, unfortunately.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 19, 2013, 05:58:44 PM

Breaking News:  Mark Dominik is a bad GM.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 19, 2013, 06:09:39 PM

I am hoping that the stunting is just to get the new guys used to them and that they look worse than they are because we are still hiding the blitzes we will run behind them in the regular season.

A big problem last year is that the blitzers didn't ever get home.  If anything they need to be practicing more than the line.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 19, 2013, 06:58:52 PM

Lack of talent. We've invested only draft picks into the dline and are expecting all of them to pan out. McCoy has panned out when not injured and Clayborn is good, outside of that it hasn't worked well. And we let go of two starting Dlineman one who was pretty good. I like MD but he's taking too many gambles and he should be on a short leash.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 19, 2013, 07:04:21 PM

Both. No more stunts and we need somebody who can get to the passer. I doubt we would be using the stunts if we had a guy like JPP or Aldon Smith who can get there quickly.
: August 19, 2013, 07:06:05 PM BucBalla85

CptSwaggARR

Second String
#10 : August 19, 2013, 07:06:57 PM

todays NFL you need to be good at twisting, stunting and slanting..these option Os  key on the DEs or 3 tech..the more you move around, the more you keep the QB guessing along with the OL..

: August 19, 2013, 07:15:10 PM CptSwaggARR

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 19, 2013, 07:08:45 PM

When they throw away a guy like George Selvie, who has 3-4 sacks and several QB pressures this preseason, with the Cowboys, you have to think its coaching.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 19, 2013, 07:16:22 PM

Both. No more stunts and we need somebody who can get to the passer. I doubt we would be using the stunts if we had a guy like JPP or Aldon Smith who can get there quickly.

Bennett was better than JPP last year

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 19, 2013, 07:19:07 PM

I think it was Troy Aikman who said... "It's a 7-on-7 league, and it has been for some time" ... during a game this weekend.

Hoist the Battleflag

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 19, 2013, 07:20:59 PM

I doubt we would be using the stunts if we had a guy like JPP or Aldon Smith who can get there quickly.

Yeah , I'm sure JJ watt would have zero sacks if he was a Buc because the coaching is bad. LOL  Why is this even a debate ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools