Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CptSwaggARR

Second String

#15 : August 19, 2013, 07:23:51 PM

the Giants do quite abit of stunting and twisting..

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 19, 2013, 07:29:32 PM

When Sheridan was there yes and they quickly discarded him.

Sapp and Culpepper used to do stunts once in a while but they had more experience to pull it off.  But in a straight up rush both Culpepper and Sapp were supremely better.

Bucs don't have the experience to be playing around with stunts again, so they just need to let the kids straight up rush the passer.

CptSwaggARR

Second String

#17 : August 19, 2013, 07:34:59 PM

no they did it under Spagnola

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 19, 2013, 07:36:15 PM

Spagnola wasn't big on stunts.  He did a lot more double A gap blitzes.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 19, 2013, 07:40:30 PM

Sapp and Culpepper used to do stunts once in a while but they had more experience to pull it off.  But in a straight up rush both Culpepper and Sapp were supremely better.

Bucs don't have the experience to be playing around with stunts again, so they just need to let the kids straight up rush the passer.

It won't matter if we rush straight up every single play . They are going to get stone-walled the majority of the time because they simply aren't that good right now.

I know some of you desperately want to believe that we are a different play call away from being a dominating pass rush  , but that is simply ridiculous.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CptSwaggARR

Second String

#20 : August 19, 2013, 07:41:08 PM

trust me spags was huge on stunts and twisting..I lived in Philly up till last year, watch spags come thru Andy Reids staff, starting as STs coach ..and onto the Gints..I watch Spags stunt and twist the hell out of Donavan Mcnabb , while he was DC of Gints

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 19, 2013, 07:44:58 PM

trust me spags was huge on stunts and twisting..I lived in Philly up till last year, watch spags come thru Andy Reids staff, starting as STs coach ..and onto the Gints..I watch Spags stunt and twist the hell out of Donavan Mcnabb , while he was DC of Gints

Nothing wrong with stunting . Like anything else you have to have talent and execution and it will work.

Steve White created a monster on this board with this nonsense.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 19, 2013, 07:48:23 PM

It won't matter if we rush straight up every single play . They are going to get stone-walled the majority of the time because they simply aren't that good right now.

I know some of you desperately want to believe that we are a different play call away from being a dominating pass rush  , but that is simply ridiculous.

I need to see them all together before totally giving up hope. Gerald for instance, will make a big difference when the opponent needs to pay attention to him.  Clayborn too.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 19, 2013, 07:50:04 PM

snaps, the starters have hardly played as a group

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 19, 2013, 07:50:27 PM

Dumb question really.   It always starts with talent... 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 19, 2013, 07:53:05 PM

IDK man, Bostad seems to do quite well with whatever players they throw him.

And on the other hand, the Bucs send guys packing, and the next thing you know they have 4 sacks for someone else.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 19, 2013, 07:53:24 PM

Yup.  Where coaching/play-calling comes in is more with the less-talented players.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 19, 2013, 07:53:28 PM

Spags did  some stunts but the double A gap was his speciality and overloads.  Sheridan was known for doing a lot of stunts and fire zone blitzes on the other hand.  I even saw one this past game where they dropped a NT into zone coverage and that is a hallmark of Sheridan's style.

t won't matter if we rush straight up every single play . They are going to get stone-walled the majority of the time because they simply aren't that good right now.

Yes it will.  Having (your best pass rusher) McCoy run a stunt that has him looping to the outside of the LT taking 7 steps versus 3 steps simply hitting his gap makes a world of difference pressure wise.   It makes it worse against a pass offense focused on 3 step drops (Patriots).  When Sapp and Culppeper used to stunt, Culpepper would cross into Sapp's gap and Sapp would loop around him but Sapp wouldn't take more than 4-5 step before he is in the backfield on a stunt like that. 

Spence showed this past game he can given Mankins and Wendell a run for their money (two of the better interior OL in the league).  Combine with McCoy simply exploding into his gap the results will be simply better.  Having your best pass rusher loop like that is nearly equivalent to a 3 man pass rush. 
: August 19, 2013, 07:55:05 PM alldaway

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 19, 2013, 07:56:28 PM

Its been said...  let them ALL pin their ears back and defend the run on the way to the qb.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 19, 2013, 08:06:42 PM

Spags did  some stunts but the double A gap was his speciality and overloads.  Sheridan was known for doing a lot of stunts and fire zone blitzes on the other hand.  I even saw one this past game where they dropped a NT into zone coverage and that is a hallmark of Sheridan's style.

t won't matter if we rush straight up every single play . They are going to get stone-walled the majority of the time because they simply aren't that good right now.

Yes it will.  Having (your best pass rusher) McCoy run a stunt that has him looping to the outside of the LT taking 7 steps versus 3 steps simply hitting his gap makes a world of difference pressure wise.   It makes it worse against a pass offense focused on 3 step drops (Patriots).  When Sapp and Culppeper used to stunt, Culpepper would cross into Sapp's gap and Sapp would loop around him but Sapp wouldn't take more than 4-5 step before he is in the backfield on a stunt like that. 

Spence showed this past game he can given Mankins and Wendell a run for their money (two of the better interior OL in the league).  Combine with McCoy simply exploding into his gap the results will be simply better.  Having your best pass rusher loop like that is nearly equivalent to a 3 man pass rush.

We don't stunt every play. I've seen lots of downs when we rush straight up and the results are no better. If you think a coaching tweek can fix shotty talent you are dreaming.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools