Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 19, 2013, 09:05:19 PM

Its been said...  let them ALL pin their ears back and defend the run on the way to the qb.
Thank you.

Because of the injuries, you really have 3 2nd year players and a rookie who have very little experience together and are stuck running a scheme meant for veterans and occassional usage as an every play scheme. I still have faith in them. I think they're being put in too tough a spot.

BucsSavant

Starter

#31 : August 19, 2013, 11:11:37 PM

I for one am somewhat upset they let Bennett walk. He's by no means a world-beater, but he is a consistent, versatile, starting-quality defensive lineman. In no way was he worth the money he was asking, but in way do we have anywhere near enough quality depth to let him walk. Considering how much he ended up signing for, we could've got him for something reasonable. Wouldn't have minded his brother at TE either.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 19, 2013, 11:22:52 PM

I for one am somewhat upset they let Bennett walk. He's by no means a world-beater, but he is a consistent, versatile, starting-quality defensive lineman. In no way was he worth the money he was asking, but in way do we have anywhere near enough quality depth to let him walk. Considering how much he ended up signing for, we could've got him for something reasonable. Wouldn't have minded his brother at TE either.
If we signed Bennett to a long term deal we wouldn't have been playing much this season because he probably would have opted for shoulder surgery.

ufcguy32

Starter

#33 : August 19, 2013, 11:23:49 PM

we all knew they needed a true vet on this line besides mccoy. we didnt do what we needed to do. bennet should have been here or selvie. im worried about this def. against the pass. im sure the run will be fine.

BucsSavant

Starter

#34 : August 19, 2013, 11:31:06 PM

If we signed Bennett to a long term deal we wouldn't have been playing much this season because he probably would have opted for shoulder surgery.

Maybe so. Either way I liked him as a player and wished we would've held on to him, since we developed him. Anything he could've given us this season would've been a plus. While I like Clayborn as a player and am more than comfortable with him at one end, i do not believe he is the consistent 10+ sack guy we need. We are banking on Bowers heavily to be that guy, and IMO thats a mistake. I think hes a nice young player but i'm not sold, and tbh I think he is feeling the pressure, and maybe isn't handling it well. Bennett and Clayborn are similar players, but you can never have too much of a good thing. Defensive line is perhaps the most important area as far as depth goes, and it is currently where are depth is the thinnest. Not good.

GO BUCS!!!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 20, 2013, 07:23:04 AM

Who cares about Bennett's sorry ass....Abraham was just sitting there for the longest time...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 20, 2013, 08:46:28 AM

We let Bennet go because we were afraid his presence would slow the development of Bowers IMO. It wasn't a money issue. We simply didn't want him. That may prove to be a mistake, but I'm not going to write Bowers off after 2 preseason games. Maybe this time is exactly what Bowers needs. That would prove us right to let Bennet go. If Bowers is still finding his way in week 4 then it's safe to say we made a mistake. I think it's simply too early to say either way right now.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 20, 2013, 08:50:20 AM

I'd add that although Bennett was consistent - he'd hit his ceiling.

Bowers gets his shot to develop into an every down player.   Football shape for a 285 person coming off injury takes a while.

If he hasn't started flashing the week after the bye (6) , then maybe I'll be concerned.

Too soon.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#38 : August 20, 2013, 12:13:14 PM

Coaching and scheme is what has killed the Bucs defense last year. Although the secondary was devoid of any talent in 2012 (Thanks Dom) the coaches continued to play man coverage. Good coaches change the scheme to fit their players.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

midgetcoach

User is banned from postingMuted
Second String

#39 : August 20, 2013, 12:22:24 PM

I think this defensive unit is going to surprise the heck out of a lot of people this year.  They might not be the most talented but the coaching staff has done their job and this group of players is hungry and determined. 

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 20, 2013, 12:24:10 PM

Detergry?

BucsSavant

Starter

#41 : August 20, 2013, 04:32:05 PM

I'd add that although Bennett was consistent - he'd hit his ceiling.

Bowers gets his shot to develop into an every down player.   Football shape for a 285 person coming off injury takes a while.

If he hasn't started flashing the week after the bye (6) , then maybe I'll be concerned.

Too soon.

It is very likely that he has infact reached his ceiling, but that was no reason to let him go. Bowers could still develop, if he is indeed going to, with Bennett on the roster. I would feel alot more confortable about this team with Bennett as the 3rd DE and moving inside on passing downs. No matter how you try to spin it, letting him walk was not the best of moves.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 20, 2013, 04:36:43 PM

I don't like the stunts either. But we do it because we can't get pressure straight up. It's not as though we prefer stunts, its a tactic to try and get pressure from a line who can get no pressure. They just aren't very good at getting to the QB so it doesn't matter so much what you do. There is not call that is going to make our starting 4 into a destructive pass rush

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

youngone

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 20, 2013, 04:40:29 PM

I don't like the stunts either. But we do it because we can't get pressure straight up. It's not as though we prefer stunts, its a tactic to try and get pressure from a line who can get no pressure. They just aren't very good at getting to the QB so it doesn't matter so much what you do. There is not call that is going to make our starting 4 into a destructive pass rush
I think we do just fine on rushing straight up.. Those stunts are what gives the QB all day.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 20, 2013, 04:42:00 PM

I think we do just fine on rushing straight up.. Those stunts are what gives the QB all day.

Well they way we run them they do, lol. I do agree with alldaway, they are a bad idea against a quick throwing game like the Pats have.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Lack of Pass Rush......Is it Lack of Talent, or Coaching ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools