Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Great analysis on Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

: August 19, 2013, 04:01:39 PM

This is a great read on the break down on Freeman mechanics as well as offence styles
Franchise Freeman? Buccaneers QB on the spot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231652/article/josh-freeman-faces-proveit-season-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers

BucsSavant

Starter

#1 : August 19, 2013, 04:04:13 PM

This is a great read on the break down on Freeman mechanics as well as offence styles
Franchise Freeman? Buccaneers QB on the spot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231652/article/josh-freeman-faces-proveit-season-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Physically, Freeman is as good as they come. Top notch. His problems are between the ears.

DA_OAKS

Starter

#2 : August 19, 2013, 04:16:40 PM

He has three issues.. 1 he gets happy feet, 2 he can't get to his third read fast enough at the NFL level, 3 he doesn't run anymore this was a part of his game that was truly great and kean awarness to pull it down and take off

BucsSavant

Starter

#3 : August 19, 2013, 04:23:20 PM

He has three issues.. 1 he gets happy feet, 2 he can't get to his third read fast enough at the NFL level, 3 he doesn't run anymore this was a part of his game that was truly great and kean awarness to pull it down and take off

Agreed. However these all are mental issues. Freeman has the talent to be an All-Pro NFL quarterback, but he may not have what he needs upstairs. Not to say he is dumb, as I do not think that at all. I just am starting to believe he lacks the football IQ to be truly great(which explains him not getting to the third read), as well as the calm confident demeanor(which explains the happy feet). It's getting to late in Freeman's career to be making the same mistakes and playing like a rookie, not to mention the baffling inconsistency. Despite all this, if Freeman can put it all together, which I ahve not given up on, he is without question a top 10 QB.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#4 : August 19, 2013, 05:35:44 PM

Agreed. However these all are mental issues. Freeman has the talent to be an All-Pro NFL quarterback, but he may not have what he needs upstairs. Not to say he is dumb, as I do not think that at all. I just am starting to believe he lacks the football IQ to be truly great(which explains him not getting to the third read), as well as the calm confident demeanor(which explains the happy feet). It's getting to late in Freeman's career to be making the same mistakes and playing like a rookie, not to mention the baffling inconsistency. Despite all this, if Freeman can put it all together, which I ahve not given up on, he is without question a top 10 QB.

His read and react time/processing time might just take a second too long at this level.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 19, 2013, 08:50:13 PM

All the real franchise QBs have that hair trigger ready at all times. They can recognize an opportunity and get the pass off very quickly. That split second hesitation, which throws off a play's timing, or just being too slow to release the pass, thus giving defenders time to recover, is what separates the good QBs (which Freeman is) from the franchise QB.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 19, 2013, 08:55:33 PM

All the real franchise QBs have that hair trigger ready at all times. They can recognize an opportunity and get the pass off very quickly. That split second hesitation, which throws off a play's timing, or just being too slow to release the pass, thus giving defenders time to recover, is what separates the good QBs (which Freeman is) from the franchise QB.

This is the best description of Freeman that I have seen in a while.  There were tons of physically talented QB prospects, it takes the mental portion to make them NFL QBs.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 19, 2013, 08:58:53 PM

"Just four quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions since Freeman entered the league in 2009."

Sweet!!!

midgetcoach

User is banned from postingMuted
Second String

#8 : August 19, 2013, 09:43:35 PM

This game is simple, you protect the QB and protect the football you will win more ballgamesthan you lose.  We do those two things we'll be fine with Freeman. 

BucsSavant

Starter

#9 : August 19, 2013, 11:25:50 PM

Indeed the read react time is the problem. The hope is that this will be the season he finally develops the football IQ to process the game at the speed needed to be great. While it is not impossible for a young QB to develop such traits, his lack of progress is disconcerting.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 20, 2013, 08:11:02 AM

All the real franchise QBs have that hair trigger ready at all times. They can recognize an opportunity and get the pass off very quickly.

Agreed, this attribute is what makes Brees, Rogers, Brady so good. It's also why, at least in my opinion, Freeman is usually better in comeback mode because he let's himself go, see a read and fire it without thinking twice. He doesn't have the confidence in himself to do that on a regular basis.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucsSavant

Starter

#11 : August 20, 2013, 10:54:01 AM

All the real franchise QBs have that hair trigger ready at all times. They can recognize an opportunity and get the pass off very quickly.

Agreed, this attribute is what makes Brees, Rogers, Brady so good. It's also why, at least in my opinion, Freeman is usually better in comeback mode because he let's himself go, see a read and fire it without thinking twice. He doesn't have the confidence in himself to do that on a regular basis.

Nice point

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 20, 2013, 07:24:52 PM

Nice point

Spot on in my opinion. Confidence should come with experience. 2nd year (with a full offseason in between) in the same offense, with the same players and staff should build that confidence. If not, and we see the same Free in 2014, then it will be time to move one. However, Im not at the point of writing him off after 4 preseason series.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Great analysis on Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools