Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis no sure thing for season opener « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : August 20, 2013, 02:17:51 AM »

Fennelly: Revis no sure thing for season opener

Greg Schiano and Darrelle Revis know that the long run is far more important than the next month for Revis' future.
CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff

Published: August 19, 2013

TAMPA —

Bucs running back Doug Martin doesn’t have a concussion. The training staff knew right away last Friday in New England. They didn’t hold up fingers for him to count. Instead, it went this way:

“Doug, how many Revises do you see on the field?”

“Um, none.”

“You’re good to go.”

That is totally made up. But so, too, is any statement, made as if it is fact, that Darrelle Revis will definitely be in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ defensive backfield in Week 1 against his old team, the Jets.

No one knows. That includes Revis, Greg Schiano and, yes, Bucs GM Mark Dominik, despite Dominik telling ESPN last week that Revis might play this Saturday at the Dolphins.

Back to Revis, here and now.

His knee didn’t swell after practice Monday, only his smile.

“I think this is a huge step today,” Revis said.

He was out there in 11-on-11 team drills, for the first time, in the huddle with his teammates.

“Just getting out there and just running,” Revis said. “I’m getting the calls ... up-tempo type of stuff I was in there doing. It was a huge day for just being out there, moving around, and not even having any problems, no soreness at the end of practice, no swelling, so it’s a huge step forward.”

So, the Jets or not the Jets?

“I’m confident,” Revis said. “It’s day to day, but I’m confident.”

I don’t expect to see Revis play in the preseason.

It’s not about exhibitions.

It’s about Week 1 — and the practices that lead up to it.

Any setback and it’s curtains for Week 1.

Scary, huh?

“We’re not trying to hide any secrets here,” Revis said. “It’s either I’m ready or I’m not ready. I think everybody has a good grasp of that.”

Revis’ steps Monday caught some eyes, including those of Dashon Goldson, who with Revis is expected to teach the Bucs’ secondary the secret of fire. Goldson said he saw real flashes.

“He looked better than we thought he’d be,” Goldson said. “He showed some good things out there. ... He read the quarterback pretty good and broke on the ball. It was surprising to see.”

What’s not surprising is Revis’ easy confidence. It’s the kind you find in his kind of star package.

Understand, he couldn’t start if the NFL season started Sunday.

“I don’t think he would want to play right now,” Schiano said. “He hasn’t done enough. That’s why those (11-on-11) drills are crucial.”

It’s the practices, stupid.

But Revis’ confidence could power a city, or a team. Someone brought up the idea of playing this weekend at Miami, in the very stadium where he tore his ACL 10 months ago.

“I never thought about that. It’s a great question,” Revis said with a laugh. “It’s a nightmare you brought up. You know what, if that’s the case that’s the case.”

I don’t think this guy has nightmares.

It’s easy to question how someone could go into a season without any preseason games.

Only Revis has done it. In 2010 with the Jets, in a holdout, he missed all the preseason games.

Of course, he strained a hamstring early in that regular season. Also he wasn’t coming off knee surgery ...

“I think the biggest thing is practice, just getting your reps, getting your legs under you,” Revis said. “... The game is the game. And I have a lot of experience in that area. I’ve played in a lot of games.”

But without much contact leading in?

“Oh, yeah. Like I said, I’m a confident player, I’m an aggressive player,” Revis said.

Is being there Opening Week everything? I mean, logically, why is the guy here if he can’t start the season? And wouldn’t a weaponless Jets offense be a great warm-up for Revis, ease on in, buffer-wise, before Drew Brees and the Saints, Tom Brady and the Patriots and balls flying everywhere? Sounds logical.

But who says logic applies with Revis? He’s the best at what he does. You don’t get there by being scared. He might be fine with beginning against Brees and Brady, the challenge, bring it on.

It’s either he’s ready or he’s not ready.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 20, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »

Wow. That was crap. Did he get a journalism degree online from one of those unacredited "colleges"? Seriously I've seen better high school papers.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #2 : August 20, 2013, 02:31:03 AM »

"Martin, how many readers do you have?"

"Umm, lots and lots"

"How many read beyond the headline?"

"Umm, there's this Michael guy..."

"What about readers who value what you think?"

"I have to think??"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #3 : August 20, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »

I am not questioning Revis for the preseason. I mean, ideally I would like to see him hit a few targets, but he can earn his stripes back while enduring some lumps in the regular. I'm cool with him getting his swag back in New York...

Yup.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #4 : August 20, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »

Revis will play week 1.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

« #5 : August 20, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

Revis NEEDS to play week 1. He needs to get his confidence up against a soft Jets offense, before lining up against Colston, Amendola, and Fitzgerald the following three weeks. If his speed isn't up to his pre-injury level, who are we going to put on Desean Jackson week 6? Banks is too slow, and our safeties aren't very good at breaking up the deep ball.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 20, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »

Dominik is a genius!

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #7 : August 20, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »

Your an idiot if you think Revis isn't playing week 1.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

midgetcoach

User is banned from postingMuted
Second String

« #8 : August 20, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »

I hope I am wrong but I questioned this move since day 1.  I think he's just one of those flashy guys wanting to get paid but who no longer wants to put in the work.  You know, the 'I Gots Mine' types. 

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #9 : August 20, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

I hope I am wrong but I questioned this move since day 1.  I think he's just one of those flashy guys wanting to get paid but who no longer wants to put in the work.  You know, the 'I Gots Mine' types.

You must be new to football.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

midgetcoach

User is banned from postingMuted
Second String

« #10 : August 20, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

You must be new to football.

I dont need to list my credentials. 

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #11 : August 20, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

Looks like he will may be catching INT's from Smith

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/here-we-go-geno-smith-rookie-qb-reportedly-gets-start-for-jets/ 

If the report from the New York Daily News is to be believed, the Jets will allow rookie Geno Smith to start instead of Mark Sanchez in the team’s preseason game against the Giants this week.

Why is this significant? Not only because Sanchez had started the two previous preseason contests, but because the third preseason game is what many teams consider a “dress rehearsal.” Starters usually play into the second half.

Sanchez had a his chance last week and while it didn’t go bad (13 of 23, 169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), it apparently didn’t impress the team enough to let him start on Saturday night.

So, now it falls on Geno, who hasn’t had the smoothest training camp thus far. He sprained his ankle in his first preseason appearance and sat out the second game. He was also blasted by head coach Rex Ryan, for a terrible practice that saw him throw 4 interceptions.

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

« #12 : August 20, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »

I'd much rather face Sanchez, there is film on him, and he is known to be awful. With Geno Smith, his performance is a complete question mark, who knows how talented or not he may be. I wonder if the Jets are saying the same thing on their forum about Freeman/Glennon?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #13 : August 20, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »

Micheal should be perma-banned for posting Fennelly columns.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : August 20, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »

I can't see him not playing in week one. He seems to be close to 100%. And he is getting banged around pretty good. 

Geno has looked pretty good.  I don't really care who starts.  Sanchez sucks, and Geno is a rook.  The Bucs need to win that game no matter who is slinging it.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis no sure thing for season opener « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools