Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dungy says Bucs have defense backwards « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : August 28, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »

Fennelly: Dungy says Bucs have defense backwards

The Bucs chose to address their defense from the back first, starting with CB Darrelle Revis.
CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff

Published: August 27, 2013

TAMPA —

It’s hard not to appreciate what Darrelle Revis could bring to the Bucs secondary, simply the worst in the NFL last season.

But how much difference can he make without a pass rush?

Only so much of one, if you ask me.

Better yet, ask Tony Dungy,

The architect of the Tampa 2 defense, who laid the groundwork for real Bucs history, who won a Super Bowl with Indianapolis, is here to tell you: It’s kind of backward, building a defense from back to the front, rather than front to back.

“I don’t think you can do it that way with the rules the way they are,” Dungy said. “Having good corners and all that helps, but I don’t know you’re going have many Hall of Fame corners who didn’t have good rushers in front of them.”

Dungy talked about it one day while discussing Warren Sapp’s Hall of Fame credentials. Dungy said the great Bucs defenses, even with Hall candidates John Lynch and Ronde Barber, began up front. He won’t get an argument.

“We all started looking real good when you put Sapp and them up front,” Lynch has said.

Dungy has nothing against Revis and his towering skill set, or against Bucs coach Greg Schiano. Still, the Bucs’ plan ...

“I guess their thought is they’ll get more with more coverage,” Dungy said. “But to me, it starts with the rush. You have to disrupt the quarterback. It did for us.”

That brings us to the Bucs pass rush, which has disrupted little for years. As good as the Bucs were against the rush in 2012, No. 1, in fact, they had just 27 sacks last season. The defense hasn’t had a 30-sack season in five years.

“I’m hoping it works, but it will only work if those guys can create pressure,” Dungy said. “They must have faith in them.”

Warren Sapp is on board.

“It’s still going down to those guys up front,” Sapp said a while back. “I happen to believe in those guys ... (Gerald) McCoy, (Adrian) Clayborn ... I think they’ll get there.”

Dungy played in the secondary for the iconic ’70s Steelers defenses ... Hall of Fame linebackers Jack Hamm and Jack Lambert, Hall of Fame cornerback Mel Blount ...

“It was still about Joe Greene and those guys up front,” Dungy said.

A pass rush, in the modern-day NFL, beats a lock-down secondary any day, because the nature of the game, and how it’s called, has changed.

“I just look at (the Colts),” Dungy said. “When we were on offense, we never thought, ‘Oh, if Darrelle Revis is covering Marvin Harrison,” or “If Champ Bailey is covering Marvin Harrison.’ If we had time enough to throw … someone was going to get open.”

“The rules have changed. I always talk to (Lynn) Swann and (John) Stallworth … they say let me play now, where they can touch me only once. ... Back then, those were shut-down corner, no rules, you could do whatever you wanted, you could just kill guys until the ball was in the air, Willie Brown, and Mel Blount, big, physical guys. … Then the league went to one bump, then one bump inside of 5 yards, then calling it closely …”

And Dungy had this thought in passing:

“So you pay Revis and (Dashon) Goldson. And (Mark) Barron when he gets a new deal. And then you do get a great rush — how are you going to pay those guys?”

A great pass rush is like great starting pitching in baseball. Everything flows from there — not the other way around. You don’t jump start a defense back to front.

Or do you?

We’ll know soon enough.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 28, 2013, 02:43:32 AM »

Wtf does Dungy mean, "backwards?"

They have two guys on the front line who are high round firsts and one DE who is out of the second round.

They built that first. If it didn't work out to be elite, that's on them, but at least management tried to shore up that part first. Sapp is right about clay and Gerald and at least he's giving them some credit, but I think dungy is getting senile. There was no one out there that would've been a tremendously great improvement for what they would've been asking, besides Dumervil, and I doubt he would've signed with a non-contender.

Plus, if the best corner to possibly ever play the game comes at your team with a one year "prove it" deal, you take it. If revis stinks and/or dungy is right, we're free to spend that money on the line next season anyway and fix that problem. Unfortunately, I think schiano's defensive stunts makes almost any DL look like a dud when it comes to sacks.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

El Diablo

Starter

« #2 : August 28, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »

We did try to build a strong dline first... it just didn't really work. Obviously dungy doesn't think too much of front four and how can you blame him.

JM2

Pro Bowler

« #3 : August 28, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

I don't think Dungy is senile. I think he is objective. The Bucs haven't had a pash rush in many years and they let their most proven pash rusher walk in the off season. They didn't bring in anyone else that scares opponents. On paper at least, the Bucs invested a whole lot more this year and last, on the secondary, not on the line. Yes they double dipped two years in a row on the line in the draft, but they still rank in the bottom of the league when it comes to pressure. Just because what you try doesn't work doesn't meant you stop trying.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #4 : August 28, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »

So we should do stunts in the secondary?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : August 28, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

It doesn't matter if we "tried" or what round we took our d-line in. We either have a pass rush or we don't, and right now it looks like we don't....and as many of fans have been saying, they didn't make any attempt to get better thru FA or trade. They let Bennett walk and did nothing to replace him. Dungy is right. An elite secondary will not look good without a pass rush. We are ass backwards.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : August 28, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »

Jack Ham, Martin. Not Hamm.

In Verner We Trust

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #7 : August 28, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »

We did try to build a strong dline first... it just didn't really work. Obviously dungy doesn't think too much of front four and how can you blame him.

^^ that ^^

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #8 : August 28, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »

If McCoy is as good as all you guys claim he is , then Dungy is wrong . We won't get sacks  , but we will be "disturbing" the QB all day.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #9 : August 28, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »

I don't think Dungy is senile. I think he is objective. The Bucs haven't had a pash rush in many years and they let their most proven pash rusher walk in the off season. They didn't bring in anyone else that scares opponents. On paper at least, the Bucs invested a whole lot more this year and last, on the secondary, not on the line. Yes they double dipped two years in a row on the line in the draft, but they still rank in the bottom of the league when it comes to pressure. Just because what you try doesn't work doesn't meant you stop trying.

+1

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #10 : August 28, 2013, 07:52:32 AM »

Mr. Dungy  ,

Ricky Proehl is on line 1.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

« #11 : August 28, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »

You don't draft 4 1st or 2nd round players at the same two positions and they all just happen to suck.

The problems with the pass rush over the last 3-4 years has been entirely due to coaching... ie... stupid stunts.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : August 28, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »

You don't draft 4 1st or 2nd round players at the same two positions and they all just happen to suck.

The problems with the pass rush over the last 3-4 years has been entirely due to coaching... ie... stupid stunts.

You wish.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #13 : August 28, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »

So we should do stunts in the secondary?
*snerk*

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #14 : August 28, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »

Did he see our secondary last year? We couldve had Sapp, Rice, Spires and Mcfarland and still got destroyed in the pass game.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dungy says Bucs have defense backwards « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools