Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bryan Cox ......"One play don't make you.” « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 09, 2013, 03:24:34 AM »

Fennelly: Tough lesson learned for Bucs' David

Bucs LB Lavonte David had a substantial impact on Sunday's game in a variety of ways.
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff

Published: September 8, 2013

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. —

His Bucs teammates were changing into street clothes, quickly. They wanted to get out of this stadium, out of this city, out of this season opener.

Linebacker Lavonte David sat on a stool.

He sat in his uniform, everything but his helmet, still as could be, and stared at the carpet.

A few minutes earlier, David had trudged from the field at MetLife Stadium. The New York Jets had just kicked a field goal that gave them an 18-17 win with two seconds left. Just another Norman Rockwell homecoming for Greg Schiano.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had lost a game they thought they'd won — with a late drive and a field goal all their own — until David was penalized for a late hit on Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

It was a push more than a hit, but Smith was clearly out of bounds and David clearly knocked him down. Smith's teammates began celebrating. They knew how big a deal it was.

Big and bad.

It moved the Jets 15 yards closer, setting up Nick Folk's 48-yarder.

David drifted from the field after the kick.

Bucs pass-rush coach Bryan Cox stopped David.

There were tears in David's eyes. Cox spoke to David, who tried to look away, but Cox put a finger under David's chin and gently turned it so they made eye contact.

Cox's message for David was the same one David received from teammates:

“Just keep your head up, man,” Cox said. “One play don't make you.”

The second-year Buc has a wonderful career ahead of him. He's going to make a Pro Bowl, maybe more than one. But along the way come lessons. He learned his share as a rookie. But some are more brutal than others.

Sunday was one of those.

This kid had to know better.

His brain needed to kick in.

He gave away 15 yards. He gave away the game.

“They just called the flag. I don't know what to say,” David said. “I guess I hit him late, out of bounds.”

Not that David was alone Sunday. The Bucs were a comedy of errors. This season opener shouldn't have been close, much less lost.

The Bucs made mountains of mistakes, from the snapped ball kicker Josh Freeman booted out of the end zone for a safety, that **CENSORED**amamie opening series — way to come out firing on all cylinders, guys! — or third-down penalties, or Freeman's awful pick that led to the only Jets touchdown, or penalized hits from safeties Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron.

Greg Schiano and his million-man coaching staff had better remind these guys that there are 765 million reasons why this league is getting safety conscious — and they'll have to deal with it.

These guys have to understand the situation. Lavonte David didn't. Yes, rookie Smith had burned the Bucs on some scrambles, but David had to know the last thing, the last thing, to do at that moment was so much as touch Smith.

The Jets would have been down to a Hail Mary, nothing more.

The flag flew.

And the tears came.

David mostly played a great game — eight tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack, an interception, two passes defended. And then ...

“I would have never hit him, but I thought he was going to stay in bounds,” David said.

Huh?

David answered media questions after the game. He didn't hide.

“Hey, you've just got to learn from it and move on,” David said.

“Without him, we wouldn't have even been in a situation to win the game,” said Bucs linebacker Mason Foster, who had eight tackles and two sacks. “Everybody was making mistakes. That stuff happens all the time, only it happened at that time, so the spotlight is going to be on him.”

Well, yeah.

“It's unfortunate,” Freeman said. “I'm sure that's something that will get replayed between now and next week's game. That's the way it goes sometimes. I'm sure he's upset. I know he's going to learn from it.”

Tough loss.

Tougher lesson.

PewterBlitz

Starter

« #1 : September 09, 2013, 03:36:45 AM »

Bone headed play by David, but its far from defining what he is as a player. He will learn and get even better.

richbucsfan

Starter

« #2 : September 09, 2013, 06:16:49 AM »

Bone headed play by David, but its far from defining what he is as a player. He will learn and get even better.

I would like to agree that "he will learn and get even better,"  but I wonder due to the direction that this has taken.  Let's hope he learns and gets better.  Right not, nothing is a given.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #3 : September 09, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »

Lets see if it messes with his game. I doubt it.

Dude is a good player. No doubt.

Al Bundy

Pro Bowler

« #4 : September 09, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

That play should be a career definer for him, much like Tim Wansley. I will find it very hard to cheer for him for a good long time.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 09, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

Dude has been a straight up stud for this team. David will be fine. It was one bone headed play. Time to move on. There were plenty of other players who played significantly worse than David did yesterday.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 09, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »

Joseph (cough cough)...

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #7 : September 09, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »

I'm not concerned about it. After the play is over, you can tell he knows that he screwed up, you could see the emotion. The problem I have with this team is the lack of emotion. I feel like a lot of players are there collecting paychecks, but I don't feel that way about Lavonte.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

« #8 : September 09, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »

Cox is right.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 09, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »

Peyton Manning threw away a Super Bowl championship on a bad read.  Adrian Peterson fumbled six times in a playoff game.  Tony Gonzalez pushed off a defender and cost the Chiefs a postseason victory.

It happens.  It happens to Hall of Famers.  It happens to everyone.

Not a big deal, as long as you grow from it.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 09, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

Dude has been a straight up stud for this team. David will be fine. It was one bone headed play. Time to move on. There were plenty of other players who played significantly worse than David did yesterday.

He had a great game, but all anyone will remember is that one play.  I feel bad for him, but he just has to put it behind him, and move on.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Kjun85

Pro Bowler

« #11 : September 09, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Joseph (cough cough)...
Also include Luke Stocker, Kevin Olgetree

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 09, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

That play should be a career definer for him, much like Tim Wansley. I will find it very hard to cheer for him for a good long time.

Seriously?  One play defines a career?  I find it very hard to take your posts seriously...for a good long time.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 09, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

Seriously?  One play defines a career?  I find it very hard to take your posts seriously...for a good long time.

Ya he made a mistake, and all you have to do is hear his comments after the game, to know how he felt. He was devastated.  Hopefully he doesn't carry it around with him too long.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : September 09, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

Joseph (cough cough)...
Also include Luke Stocker, Kevin Olgetree

Stocker is useless.  And I actually like Ogletree. But what was he doing out there in crunch time?  I thought there could of been a better play call there, than throw a crucial pass in crunch time to a guy who barely made the team, and hadn't done jack all game.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bryan Cox ......"One play don't make you.” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools