Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Well - maybe some day the planet will start paying attention to experts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« : September 09, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »

Global warming cleverly hides itself with 1 million sq miles more arctic ice

POSTED AT 5:01 PM ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2013 BY JAZZ SHAW

The science is settled unsettling. Comedian Lewis Black said it best on his White Album when he asked, “Do you know what Meteorologist means in English? It means liar.” It seems that we now have more science to settle atop the mountains of previous science which all purports to prove one thing or another. You can decide on the reasons for yourself, but the arctic ice sheet is back with a vengeance.

A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013.

Instead, days before the annual autumn re-freeze is due to begin, an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores.
Good news for polar bears, if nothing else. But talks of a clear Northwest Passage seem to have fallen by the wayside. In fact, a few people who were counting on it rather heavily are left sort of… stuck.

Only six years ago, the BBC reported that the Arctic would be ice-free in summer by 2013, citing a scientist in the US who claimed this was a ‘conservative’ forecast. Perhaps it was their confidence that led more than 20 yachts to try to sail the Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific this summer. As of last week, all these vessels were stuck in the ice, some at the eastern end of the passage in Prince Regent Inlet, others further west at Cape Bathurst.

Shipping experts said the only way these vessels were likely to be freed was by the icebreakers of the Canadian coastguard. According to the official Canadian government website, the Northwest Passage has remained ice-bound and impassable all summer.
Some of the analysts currently scratching their heads over how the planet stubbornly refuses to do what they insist it must are apparently now reflecting on some much older data. Reports are available which indicate a massive melting of the arctic ice sheet in the 1920′s and 30′s, long before the era of global climate studies. But then, it crashed into another period of increased freezing and expansion. The current photo has a few of them wondering if we might be in danger of heading into another ice age, which would be disastrous for mankind.

This just in from Jeff Dunetz.

Today’s UK Daily Mail gives more evidence that would have made my mother, of blessed memory issue a major Jewish Mother Sweater Alert because the Arctic Ice cap grew by 60% this past year and more scientists are warning of the coming ice age.

Tags: climate change, global warming, science

ROTFLMAO - getting paid to do this as well.. amazing

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 09, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

Lol

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : September 10, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »

But the science is settled!!! This is a figment of your imagination!

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 10, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013.
Let's not lose sight of that second line.  2012's levels were spectacularly low.  The 2013 numbers are still well below average.  There's always going to be year to year variations.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : September 10, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »

Let's not lose sight of that second line.  2012's levels were spectacularly low.  The 2013 numbers are still well below average.  There's always going to be year to year variations.

I can recognize overstatements most of the time... and that is the point being made.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 11, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »

What makes me worry is that we don't have any historical 100% accurate data on it, and the only thing about global warming we 100% know for sure is about what has been put into the air. We don't know the actual effects of "global warming," it's actually a bad word for a uncertain theory.

We don't know if the pollutants will clog the air and cool, or heat, the atmosphere. It could possibly cause a wobble, like they worry about with the earth's axis, causing cold and heat at odd times. And of course, the dreaded doomsday scenareo where it is perpetual night/cold.

I don't actually support their theory however, as active volcanoes all over the world emit more pollutants into the sky by far than man. Still, it isn't a good thing that man over steps it's boundaries'without checking if it's safe first. Adding our amount into it might be something mother earth never factored in.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 11, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »

The part that is clear is those who warranted man made global would remove the ice cap from the poles this year were wrong.  Of course when I was growing up we were being assured the cooling that was taking place was going to lead to another ice age.  Clearly that point didn't occur. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #7 : September 12, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »

Scientific fact is not determined by majority opinion.   Science methodology 101.   Yes. there is a global warming trend that can be successfully documented over the last 100 years.  The sticking point is what is actually causing it and more importantly is there any rational thing that can be done about it.    Until mankind can prevent Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Tidal waves, drought etc they need to shelve all the controlling something as speculative as global warming.  Just like the ozone layer this is just another piece of political pork designed to rape the taxpayers of America.

With this latest information expect a new group of experts blaming mankind on global cooling and how American taxpayers need to foot the bill on that! 

The most repugnant part of all this is the fear mongering and propaganda being thrown out as fact.  I can remember reading recently that in the next 100 years NY city will be 10 feet under water.  The reality is given the current trends of constant global warming that figure is a sea level rise of at most 7 inches!     If you own water front property I wouldn't be jumping to sell it with that reality! LOl
« : September 12, 2013, 07:40:54 AM Runole »

buccaneerNW

Pro Bowler
« #8 : September 12, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

The part that is clear is those who warranted man made global would remove the ice cap from the poles this year were wrong.  Of course when I was growing up we were being assured the cooling that was taking place was going to lead to another ice age.  Clearly that point didn't occur.
That's not true. The "global cooling" thing was a very was short-lived controversy, and NEVER broadly accepted by science. One guy published a paper and Time magazine ran a cover, and there was some interest for awhile. This is one of the most facile and anti-factual arguments that climate deniers issue.

As for global warming, it is supported by 97% of the peer-reviewed science on the subject for the last 20+ years. That is a fact.

It is settled science, and for every data point you can show that allegedly disproves it, there are probably hundreds that reaffirm it. Also, year to year fluctuations are normal and expected, but if you were to put all the various measurements onto graphs, the trend over time is undeniably in support of global warming, and the scientific CONSENSUS is that it is caused by humans. These are all facts, undisputed, unless you are listening to the Koch Bros. funded echo chambers of the Tea Party and FauxNooz.
« : September 12, 2013, 08:48:12 PM buccaneerNW »

- Dont bee kritisyzun gramer end punktushun on dis baored becuz its for talkn uhbowtt the Bukx.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 12, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »

Yeah, Al Gore confirmed it was man-made.

buccaneerNW

Pro Bowler
« #10 : September 12, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »

Yeah, Al Gore confirmed it was man-made.

Quality response.

Confronted with facts that one doesn't want to accept, downshift into childish nonsense.

- Dont bee kritisyzun gramer end punktushun on dis baored becuz its for talkn uhbowtt the Bukx.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 12, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »

Show us the evidence that global warming is man-made, Fact Man.

buccaneerNW

Pro Bowler
« #12 : September 12, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »

Really? That response didn't get any better.

While I may not be a climate scientist myself, I do trust the CONSENSUS of the scientific community and that DOES in fact say that it is created by human activity. I also have a close family member who has studied this subject matter extensively and doesn't doubt the reality of global warming AT ALL.

Meanwhile, all you deniers are basically being duped by fossil-fuel funded propaganda strategically designed to create doubt. You're making a choice in favor of the fossil-fuel industry's self serving talking points. I am choosing the information presented by science. It's all a question of who you trust.

buccaneerNW

Pro Bowler
« #13 : September 12, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »

Also, if you're at all interested, the information is all out there for you to discover on your own. I suspect you would prefer to be an ignorant windbag than find out something that might disrupt your current views.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #14 : September 12, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »

So you got nothing, and we're the ones being duped?
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Well - maybe some day the planet will start paying attention to experts « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools