Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the D Don't Work « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 12, 2013, 05:05:38 PM

So wait, this great defensive / hard-nosed college coach isn't all that great in the NFL?  Who'd have thunk that.  I certainly didn't see that coming.   ::)

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 12, 2013, 07:15:53 PM

The line stunts are the least of our worries. How about our LBS that suck at coverage?

How about a defensive scheme that has no corners? Remember the GENO SMITH run to the left side in the 1st half? All they have to do is run both outside WR deep and voila there are no corners and only a LB who does what?  That's right he sucks at coverage. Easy. This is like taking candy from a baby.

The worst part is that the LBS were great rushing the passer and yet on the big plays they are in coverage with a 4 man rush and the rookie has all day long. Stop dropping the LBS into coverage. Get them off the field or blitzing on those downs. Everyone is going to run their slot WR right at Foster or the pathetic David. Let these guys do what they do best. Not going to happen. Clueless coach.

I have never seen anything so stupid as this defense.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

19bucs19

Second String

#17 : September 13, 2013, 08:35:45 AM

"i've seen D-lineman in coverage on passing downs"

Did you see the same thing when Kiffin did it? The idea is to bring pressure and unexpectedly drop a guy in front of the hot read. Implementation may be lacking, but it is a sound theory.

Yes when Kiffin did it it was with more athletic guys like Simeon, we are dropping DT's in coverage while blitzing linebackers, just crazy...

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 13, 2013, 08:41:48 AM

The line stunts are the least of our worries. How about our LBS that suck at coverage?

How about a defensive scheme that has no corners? Remember the GENO SMITH run to the left side in the 1st half? All they have to do is run both outside WR deep and voila there are no corners and only a LB who does what?  That's right he sucks at coverage. Easy. This is like taking candy from a baby.

The worst part is that the LBS were great rushing the passer and yet on the big plays they are in coverage with a 4 man rush and the rookie has all day long. Stop dropping the LBS into coverage. Get them off the field or blitzing on those downs. Everyone is going to run their slot WR right at Foster or the pathetic David. Let these guys do what they do best. Not going to happen. Clueless coach.

Pathetic David? He played great against the Jets, he is the least of our worries on D. Foster can't cover anyone, it was his job to cover Winslow on that TE pass and he failed horribly, like always. He has to be moved to the outside and a real Mike LBer found. Which is why Luke Kuechly made a lot of sense for us. I love Barron and I think he could be a good safety. But we passed on a future great for a future good most likely.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 13, 2013, 10:04:05 AM

That line stunt where McCoy crossed three gaps before even attempting to proceed toward the QB was used significantly in pre season.  This is why it disturbs me to see that during a regular season game.  It is essentially a three man rush and you are excluding your best pass rusher out of that three man rush.  A double whammy of negative proportions.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 13, 2013, 10:12:50 AM

That line stunt where McCoy crossed three gaps before even attempting to proceed toward the QB was used significantly in pre season.  This is why it disturbs me to see that during a regular season game.  It is essentially a three man rush and you are excluding your best pass rusher out of that three man rush.  A double whammy of negative proportions.

+1

that one makes no sense

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Wesmon

Second String

#21 : September 13, 2013, 10:18:20 AM

Our defense gave up 16 points last week. We got good pressure and the secondary held up most of the time. David did have a stupid penalty at the end but it was really the offense that cost us the game with their inept play.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 13, 2013, 02:07:39 PM

Too much focus on the stunts and not enough focus on the outcome. Trying to dissect, predict, and assume etc is futile. Take a step back from it and evaluate.

1) Is it safe to say that if Stunts are used to confuse run blocking assignments, and we had the #1 rushing D, then that aspect of the scheme is working?
2) Heavy blitz teams need strong man corners to be effective. Something we have this year.
3) This Scheme with a new secondary produced the 12th best D week 1
4) This scheme also led to 5 sacks

Is it perfect, no, but all teams have a weakness. Cough Foster in coverage cough. The year just started with our new secondary, I'm willing to wait till we get a few games under our belt before I start passing judgment. If we end the year with a top 5 rush D and our sack total goes up to above average levels, does it really matter who is getting the sacks?

#notthetampa2anymore

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 13, 2013, 02:13:39 PM

Defense is the least of our concerns, IMO. Steve White b*tches all the time.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 13, 2013, 02:17:10 PM

"i've seen D-lineman in coverage on passing downs"

Did you see the same thing when Kiffin did it? The idea is to bring pressure and unexpectedly drop a guy in front of the hot read. Implementation may be lacking, but it is a sound theory.

Yes when Kiffin did it it was with more athletic guys like Simeon, we are dropping DT's in coverage while blitzing linebackers, just crazy...
one of these posts is right on.

Guess?

IrishBuc

Second String

#25 : September 13, 2013, 02:18:47 PM

The stunts work against the run, they usually clog up the middle, when done so we have no issues. Last weekend it seemed to me that Geno got a fair few of his yards from it. The Bucs had no outside contain because of it and the DT isn't quick off to seal off the edge, may be wrong about that though.

Jumper

Second String

#26 : September 13, 2013, 02:43:44 PM

Drew Brees last two games at Raymond James = 29/45 383yds and 27/37 for 377yds. Here's hoping we get to see some real results this week and those numbers are knocked down a bit. And Turnovers to boot. I'm cautiously optimistic.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 13, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

Pathetic David? He played great against the Jets, he is the least of our worries on D. Foster can't cover anyone, it was his job to cover Winslow on that TE pass and he failed horribly, like always. He has to be moved to the outside and a real Mike LBer found. Which is why Luke Kuechly made a lot of sense for us. I love Barron and I think he could be a good safety. But we passed on a future great for a future good most likely.

Lavonte David sucks in coverage. He should be blitzing or off the field on passing downs. He is a major liability.

Last year he gave up tons of TD passes and 1st downs. He is certainly no better than Foster in coverage. If we are stupid enough to drop these guys back into coverage teams are going to continue to run their speedy slot WR'S right at them. Taking candy from a baby.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 13, 2013, 06:03:57 PM

The defense won't work because Schiano is a chump coach from a weak division in college.

There, it's said now.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

gone

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 13, 2013, 09:53:19 PM

it hasn't gained more attention Dbuc, it's just a situation where the the fans concern is backed up by  former player using gametape.

Hell, this isn't even new, Steve was raging about this all last year too.  We all see it failing more than not.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the D Don't Work « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools