Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the D Don't Work « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 14, 2013, 12:08:20 PM

Good stuff by SW. Thanks for posting.

Maybe one day we'll have a top notch DC again.

DeepPewterC

Second String

#31 : September 14, 2013, 12:50:12 PM

Too much focus on the stunts and not enough focus on the outcome. Trying to dissect, predict, and assume etc is futile. Take a step back from it and evaluate.

1) Is it safe to say that if Stunts are used to confuse run blocking assignments, and we had the #1 rushing D, then that aspect of the scheme is working?
The other aspect of the scheme is the worst pass D last year.

2) Heavy blitz teams need strong man corners to be effective. Something we have this year.
We have Revis. Banks is a rookie and though he has nice upside, is still an unproven commodity. Please don't even mention Leonard.

3) This Scheme with a new secondary produced the 12th best D week 1
Against the rookie Geno Smith who threw 3 int's in pre-season

4) This scheme also led to 5 sacks
Only 1 from a D-lineman

Is it perfect, no, but all teams have a weakness. Cough Foster in coverage cough. The year just started with our new secondary, I'm willing to wait till we get a few games under our belt before I start passing judgment. If we end the year with a top 5 rush D and our sack total goes up to above average levels, does it really matter who is getting the sacks?

#notthetampa2anymore

Yes it matters, because it's easier to sack a rookie QB than it is to sack a vet. I'm optimisitic, but let's not have rose-colored glasses on after LOSING to a rookie QB.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the D Don't Work « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools