Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think benching Freeman was really Schianos decision? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 26, 2013, 02:50:00 PM

Freeman played awful he was 33rd in completion percentage. He was the worst QB in the league. I'm sure the whole team was on board with him being replaced.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#16 : September 26, 2013, 03:48:21 PM

Schiano said he went upstairs and spoke to Dominik and the meeting was intense.  After they reached an agreement, they met with the Glazers.

The fact that the meeting was intense seems to indicate there was a difference of opinion.

Of course it doesn't really matter who first wanted Free out because in the end both Schiano and Dominik agreed to bench Free.

In an interview with USA Today yesterday around noon or so, Dom said "he had seen enough. Dom also did not negoiate with Free to extend his contract earlier in the year.

And yet Schiano used language to indicate (MAYBE), that he decided to replace Free and went upstairs.  There is no question that on Mon after seeing the film, that Schiano said the Bucs had their best chance to win with Free.

If I was pushed on the matter, I would say the initial thrust to get rid of Free came from Dom.  He is after all Schiano's boss.

Regarding Free:  The game plan of long isolation routes makes it haarder on the passer and the receiver.  Going back and watching the game, much of it in slow-motion, Free wasn't the only problem on the field.  Lack of a tight end, Crabtree played only average, injuries to Jackson and Williams. average play by Penn and slightly lower than average play by Joseph, rather average play by Revis and Goldson. I don't think it is all Free's play that led to the decision.

It seems like the team not electing him captian, missing team photo, some problem behind the scene led to Free's demise. Something behind the scenes just isn't right.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 26, 2013, 03:52:37 PM

Dominik and Schiano from this point forward are going to pull daggers on each other if this team continues to lose.  This will turn ugly real fast folks.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 26, 2013, 03:55:54 PM

This was all Schiano. Not doubt about it. Did you see what Mike Williams said? They were splitting time in practice between Freeman and Glennon anyway. I think it's becoming more apparent that Freeman knew he wasn't going to be the guy here before the season even began, which kind of explains the lack of commitment towards wanting to play well for Schiano.

Now here's the interesting part. Schiano wanted this. The FO and ownership are letting him have it. Is this a case of a 100% commitment to Schiano, or is this a case of giving him what he says he needs so that there are no more excuses? Personally, I think they've just given this guy enough rope to hang himself with.
All Schiano - you bet.  Saw it in play and not prepping the starters - especially Freeman for the start of the season.  Don't know about the rest right up to the FO and ownership are allowing the required rope...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 26, 2013, 03:57:25 PM

Glazers and Dom are giving Schiano the rope and if he screws up it is his neck on the line.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 26, 2013, 04:29:19 PM

Schiano said he went upstairs and spoke to Dominik and the meeting was intense.  After they reached an agreement, they met with the Glazers.

The fact that the meeting was intense seems to indicate there was a difference of opinion.

Of course it doesn't really matter who first wanted Free out because in the end both Schiano and Dominik agreed to bench Free.

I think it matters a lot. If the FO still believed in Freeman, and initially fought back on the decision to bench him, even if just a little, then this means that my su**CENSORED**ions of it being a case of just giving Schiano enough rope to hang himself is right.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that Dom isn't ready to move on from Free. But if they were opposed to the benching, it would suggest that they haven't lost full faith in his abilities, and on some level, blame Schiano and the staff for his troubles.

Agreeing to bench Freeman is a definite sign of an agreement to move on at QB, but if there was some push back on it, it is probably a sign that unless something unexpected occurs, they will probably be moving on from Schiano as well. This seems more like a last ditch effort than a vote of confidence. If this is the case, moving on from Freeman makes sense either way. You either hit the lottery with Glennon, or you are entering the 2014 season with a coaching search that includes the carrots of a high draft pick and the chance to select and groom their own guy. With the rest of the roster we have, that makes the Tampa job a very appealing one.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 26, 2013, 04:32:49 PM

BTW, I think that this also means that if Schiano goes, Dom may not be going with him. Just a hunch, but I agree with alldaway's dagger comment, but I think ultimately, Dom has more daggers at this point. He provided the talent. The expectations were not met.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 26, 2013, 04:34:26 PM

And it sends the message Tampa is ready to win... regardless of cost..

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : September 26, 2013, 05:10:37 PM

BTW, I think that this also means that if Schiano goes, Dom may not be going with him. Just a hunch, but I agree with alldaway's dagger comment, but I think ultimately, Dom has more daggers at this point. He provided the talent. The expectations were not met.

Glazers to Dom: What are your plans for the draft?
Dom: I'm going to pick a QB
Glazers: Didn't you pick Freeman?
Dom: Why yes I did....but he was Morris' guy.
Glazers: Didn't you pick Glennon?
Dom: Why yes I did.....but he was Schiano's guy.
Glazers: What is it that you do around here?

I doubt Dominik gets to pick a third QB.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 26, 2013, 05:13:51 PM

If you fire Schiano, you have to fire Dominik too. What coaching staff is going to come here with Dominik at GM. Yeah he has provided talent, but his record as a GM is very bad and that coaching staff knows if they have a bad year they could be out of a job because Dominik was fired and the new GM wanted his own guys.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 26, 2013, 05:43:03 PM

Glazers to Dom: What are your plans for the draft?
Dom: I'm going to pick a QB
Glazers: Didn't you pick Freeman?
Dom: Why yes I did....but he was Morris' guy.
Glazers: Didn't you pick Glennon?
Dom: Why yes I did.....but he was Schiano's guy.
Glazers: What is it that you do around here?

I doubt Dominik gets to pick a third QB.

I don't think it's the GM's job to pick a QB by himself. He has to work with the head coach on that decision. I'm not gonna bash the guy for drafting a QB that his coaches were pushing for that didn't pan out. I'd bash him if he drafted a QB that his coaches weren't in love with and it didn't pan out. In that case, it would be on him. In the case of Freeman and Glennon, I don't blame him for either pick. The Glazers may see it differently, but I have my doubts that Dom will get fired this off season. I could be wrong though.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : September 26, 2013, 07:58:14 PM

Mike Williams said today that Freeman and Glennon have been splitting reps in practice 50/50 all along....so I think Schiano was planning this all along and just finally got the ok from management.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 26, 2013, 08:41:58 PM

Mike Williams said today that Freeman and Glennon have been splitting reps in practice 50/50 all along....so I think Schiano was planning this all along and just finally got the ok from management.

Exactly. I caught that too. So you wonder why Freeman was disengaged, and why Schiano was disengaged in developing Freeman, this pretty much explains and confirms both su**CENSORED**ions.

This is the type of thing that shows Schiano's college mentality. This sort of thing is a non issue if it's going on with two unproven guys that you gave a scholarship to. But once again, the NFL is a different animal. You have a guy coming off of a 4,000 yard season and going into a contract year, and you mess with him by making him split 1st team reps with a rookie, 3rd round pick? You use your preseason games to let this rookie get some game time in, while playing your starter less than any other NFL team does? I don't blame Freeman for not wanting to be here. As much as any of you care to admit it, none of you would want to either.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 26, 2013, 08:55:53 PM

I have a feeling something happened between Monday and Wednesday.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 26, 2013, 09:06:32 PM

I have a feeling something happened between Monday and Wednesday.

If I had to guess I would say Tuesday

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think benching Freeman was really Schianos decision? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools