Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs must diversify schemes for any quarterback's success « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 27, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »

The All-22: Tampa Bay must diversify schemes for quarterback success

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, The All-22

By Doug Farrar   SI.com

This is Josh Freeman’s “incomplete pass face.” You’ve seen it a lot this season.
(Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

After one full season, plus three games and a great deal of speculation, Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano has moved on from quarterback Josh Freeman and gone with rookie third-rounder Mike Glennon in his place. Whether the move was made because of Freeman’s inconsistent mechanics, inability to bond with Schiano, inability to show up for team photos, the simple preference for a coach to have his own guy under center, or a job-saving measure from a coaching staff,  it’s a done deal. Barring injury or a serious turn of thought, Freeman will never play another down for the Bucs, and he’s already been lobbying for a trip out of town more actively then he was before.

“[General manager] Mark Dominik and I spent a lot of time together in some intense meetings trying to decide what’s best for our football team,” Schiano said Wednesday.  ”We got with our ownership when we came to a conclusion as a group, we made the decision organizationally that we’re going to make a change at quarterback, and now Mike Glennon is our starting quarterback. Mark and I believe that this gives us the best chance to win today. We’ve lost eight of nine games and haven’t played particularly well on offense in the last nine games.  That’s something that, although it isn’t completely the quarterback’s fault [and] I understand that, that position touches the ball every play.”

The wisdom of the move will be debated all season, but it’s best to move on and look at what Glennon is dealing with. In his first regular-season NFL start, Glennon will face an Arizona Cardinals defense that currently ranks 25th in Football Outsiders’ opponent-adjusted defensive metrics. And according to Pro Football Focus’ game-charting stats, the Cardinals’ three primary cornerbacks have allowed 28 catches on 41 targets for 388 total receiving yards, 167 yards after the catch, four touchdowns, and one interception. Perhaps most atypically, cornerback Patrick Peterson has allowed a perfect quarterback rating — 158.3 — when in targeted coverage.

So, Glennon has that going for him, which is nice. However, he’s leading and learning an offense in practice without his two primary targets — Vincent Jackson has missed practice with a rib injury, and Mike Williams has been out with a hamstring issue. If Jackson and Williams can’t go or are limited to any degree, it will be a big blow for Glennon, because this offense relies so heavily on its two big receivers — Jackson has 15 catches this season, Williams has 11, and running back Doug Martin is third with just four catches.

This, as much as anything, is a good jump-off point for what ails the Buccaneers’ offense as a complete concept, and why Glennon is jumping in with a handicap unless Schiano has a similar meeting with offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan and asks him to switch things up. Put simply, Tampa Bay is operating an offense that has passed the NFL’s expiration date, and it’s going to be tough for any quarterback to succeed within its constraints on a consistent basis. Not that Freeman isn’t at fault for many of his issues — but since this offense is Glennon’s to command now, what exactly is he commanding?

When I took a look at Freeman’s game in August, I got some great help from Joe Bussell (the must-follow @NFLosophy on Twitter), who worked for the Buccaneers as an Operations Assistant and Coordinator from July 2009 through January 2012. I turned to Joe again to help with a more comprehensive evaluation of Tampa Bay’s offense, and the inherent issues for any quarterback.

“When watching the Buccaneers, I see an offense that appears to be ages behind the current NFL. It is evident that the Bucs’ offensive staff is confident that their two main wide receivers [Jackson and Williams] will win when the ball is in the air. They try to get one-on-one matchups and run the receivers deep and outside the numbers. Separation isn’t stressed in this offense. Instead, the reliance is on its outside receivers to win in jump-ball situations. These are often referred to as ’50/50 balls,’ because of the odds of the wide receiver coming down with them.  — and one of the reasons Freeman’s completion percentage has hovered around 50 to 56 percent under Mike Sullivan.

“This is in stark contrast to the current trend in the NFL, which is to get the ball to your playmakers in space with quick throws – screens, smoke routes, and throws behind the line of scrimmage. These are high-percentage throws that allow for extra yards after the catch. In the Tampa offense, every throw is a tough throw, every catch is contested, and not much space is created — which means the receiver is tackled immediately after making the catch. This is a major reason the Bucs currently rank 30th in yards after the catch in the NFL.”

As offensive structure has become more complex in the NFL, standard operating procedure is to be anything but standard. Peyton Manning used to run three-wide, single-back sets over and over with the Indianapolis Colts, but with the Broncos, offensive coordinator Adam Gase has done a tremendous job in switching formations and allowing Manning to have more favorable looks. Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy will roll everything from full-house backfields on third-and-long to five-wide receiver sets on first-and-goal — anything to gain the advantage of numbers and angles. In Philadelphia, Chip Kelly runs a series of pass plays that seem to always have a tricky slip screen for every deep route down the numbers. And there’s nobody better than New Orleans head coach Sean Payton at rolling targets around the field in ways that confound defenses and give his quarterback the tactical edge.

Of course, it helps when you have Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. But what happens when you don’t? You either adapt, or fall in love with the concept of punting.

Against dime cluster blitzes and quarter-quarter-half disguises, simply winning the physical battles isn’t enough. Sid Gillman, the father of the modern passing game, understood this in the early 1960s. Bill Walsh, who took Gillman’s concepts and refined them to near-perfection in Cincinnati and San Francisco, understood this in the 1980s. And every successful offense has designers who understand it implicitly today.

Freeman’s (most likely) last game with the Bucs was Sunday’s 23-3 loss to the New England Patriots. Freeman completed 19 of 41 passes for 236 yards, no touchdowns, and one interception. At the same time Freeman was unable to connect with Jackson and Williams, Tom Brady — who would probably throw for 500 yards per game if he had Jackson and Williams on his roster — found ways to connect with his own patchwork receiver corps. Why was this so? Well, set aside the fact that Brady’s a pretty fair quarterback, and let’s take a look at the tape.

I’ll let Bussell detail the 19-yard Jackson catch with 6:31 left in the first quarter, since he tipped me off to it as an ideal example of how this kind of passing game can be successful in certain situations.

“Jackson ran a wheel route from the right slot. This throw and catch is indicative of the type of throw and catch that a quarterback and receiver must make on an iso play. The throw has to be good and away from the defender, and the receiver must go up and make a contested catch. This is a tough play to rely on, and it causes major inconsistencies. Attempting plays like this for every set of downs will leave an offense ‘off schedule’ and in long down and distances, especially on third down. Essentially, the offense is set up to kill its own drives.”

There was also a 13-yard catch by Williams on the same drive with 5:11 left in the first quarter. This time, Freeman is left with few options due to scheme.

On this play, the Bucs go with max protect, keeping tight end Nate Byham in to block and leaving everything up to Jackson and Williams downfield. Because fullback Erik Lorig doesn’t release from the formation until the play is basically set, Freeman had no targets in the middle of the field. Jackson ran an arcing out route on the right side of the field with Aqib Talib covering him, and Williams headed up the numbers on the left side with Kyle Arrington on him. There were no hot routes, no breakouts underneath, no crosses or slants. Nothing to give Freeman a quick escape hatch.

And that was a problem, because the Patriots were blitzing inside the guards. If the Buccaneers are going to use max protect to help their blockers, they’d better throw a little more sauce in the route tree. This is what Freeman saw as he hit his back foot on the dropback — two receivers in the process of running deep breaking routes, and both tied up in iso matchups. At this point, he could either wait for Lorig to break free, or throw up a prayer to Jackson or Williams and hope there’s something free when the ball lands. In this case, Williams lost Arrington on a quick break to an out route and brought in a catch for 13 yards, but one won’t always see such coverage lapses.

“Both offenses were having trouble completing passes downfield and outside,” Bussell recalled. “While the Buccaneers stuck to their game-plan and continued to call isolation routes on the outside with no help in the middle, the Patriots began executing crossing routes underneath and over the middle of the field. Tom Brady was content to dink and dunk down the field. New England attempted to test the back end of the defense on its first three drives, which resulted in punts after four, five, and three plays, respectively. On the fourth and fifth drives, the Patriots went 66 yards in 11 plays  and 62 yards in 10 plays, respectively. Both drives went for touchdowns.

“According to Pro Football Focus, Tom Brady’s average depth of target was 4.8 in this game. Josh Freeman’s was 12.3. Vincent Jackson is second in the league in yards per route run. Freeman’s average time to throw is 2.85 seconds, which is 11th highest in the league.”

So, the question is whether the Bucs will adapt their offense for a rookie quarterback who will have limited time to get in lock-step with his elite and physical receivers in practice.

“We have a lot of work to do offensively, and that’s well-documented,” Sullivan said Thursday. “You can point to several reasons we haven’t been as effective as we’re accustomed to and what our expectations are. You can’t single one person out — there’s a lot of blame from a coaching standpoint, from an execution standpoint, whether it’s the other 10 players beside the quarterback. Right now, there’s so much work he have to do … the focus is on moving forward and doing everything in my power to make sure that Mike Glennon is at his best, and get the offense back performing at the level we’re accustomed to.”

If that’s the case, Job One will be for the coaching staff to learn from Freeman’s mistakes, and their own, and give Glennon the things Freeman hasn’t had from a schematic perspective.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 27, 2013, 02:21:20 AM »

Unpossible. I read on the Red Board that it was all Freeman's fault. The scheme is awesome. Glennon's got this. Iso routes FTW!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 27, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »

"You gotta diversify yo' bonds nicka."

-Wu Tang clan.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #3 : September 27, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »

Unpossible. I read on the Red Board that it was all Freeman's fault. The scheme is awesome. Glennon's got this. Iso routes FTW!

anyone that has read this message board would know that there has been a ton of posters here who've discussed this (Sullivan's scheme) - the Bucs changing Qbs alone isn't an instant solution to our offense's problems.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 27, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »

anyone that has read this message board would know that there has been a ton of posters here who've discussed this (Sullivan's scheme) - the Bucs changing Qbs alone isn't an instant solution to our offense's problems.

Yup.

They seemingly care very little for the TE spot. They might change that with the QB change, but I'm pretty sure they're going to feed the same system they have been preaching. As I understand it, he does NOT have Freeman's long arm ability, which might dictate a change, but I still think they try the same system out first.

Besides TE, schiano himself has to get better at in game managing. I don't care if he goes out and beats them with baseball bats, fires, hires, loves, hates, etc, but no matter what, without that ability to assess the situation properly, he's not going to get my vote. He is responsible for the entire team and the last time I checked, offense is a big part of that. If the offensive calls are horrid, he should visually SEE that and make the right corrections. He hasn't. Neither has sully.

Also, The middle of the field is a wonderful thing, they should use it sometime. (Besides run hamster up the gut all day).

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 27, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »

It bothers me a bit that this year Schiano gets involved in the offense and this.

IF there is a major change in the scheme with Glennon I will be very suspect about how all of this has gone down.

Would Schiano sabotage his offense to get his way? No TE was brought in. Not a decent slot WR. Ogletree is awful. Stocker is a joke. This is 2011 all over again on offense.

Why?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

csidedave

Second String
« #6 : September 27, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »

It is a big concern that Sullivan has never designed an offense or called plays before.  Of course that lack of experience is apparent across the entire staff.  It is quite different from the Dungy and Gruden days when the staff was full of incredibly experienced and talented coaches who kept getting raided by other teams and promoted.  Dungy made a point of grooming coaches for the next level and it really paid off.  Nobody has been groomed here that I know of.

My big concern is that you cannot point to anyone on the staff that you can say for sure is an ironclad coach who really knows his stuff.  Hopefully they will grow into their jobs but they aren't there yet.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 27, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »

Ever consider the scheme may be so simple because Josh can't make reads ,  so they've simplified it to a one read system for Josh's dumb ass??

Funny , it's the same offense as the GIants , and no one is saying these same things about the Giants offense.  I think it's clear the offense has been simplified to play to Josh's one and only strength - jump balls.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : September 27, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »

Ever consider the scheme may be so simple because Josh can't make reads ,  so they've simplified it to a one read system for Josh's dumb ass??

Funny , it's the same offense as the GIants , and no one is saying these same things about the Giants offense.  I think it's clear the offense has been simplified to play to Josh's one and only strength - jump balls.

The Giants have a stud slot WR

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 27, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »

Nope. Never considered that. Mainly because the only people that consider Freeman to be dumb are the same ones who would be inclined to blame him for an errant snap from the center that he saved from being a touchdown, and for the OC not being able to get the play calls in on time.

Funny , it's the same offense as the GIants , and no one is saying these same things about the Giants offense. 

They aren't? Ever visit any Giants message boards?

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?34703-The-Kevin-Gilbride-Offensive-System-and-WHY-IT-CAN-LOOK-SO-BAD

And in case you hadn't noticed, Eli Manning is leading the NFL in interceptions so far.

I think it's clear the offense has been simplified to play to Josh's one and only strength - jump balls.

Might be clear to you. To me, and pretty much every one else who isn't blinded by irrational hate, it seemed like Freeman was capable of doing a lot more things well prior to 2012 than he has been since 2012. What happened in 2012 again?
« : September 27, 2013, 09:29:47 AM CBWx2 »

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 27, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »

What does this copy boy know?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

csidedave

Second String
« #11 : September 27, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

I would tend to suspect the scheme as a lot of the problem too but that doesn't explain his 2011 season under Raheem with 16 TD's and 22 Int's.  Horrible for a third year QB in a system he was familiar with. 

Actually he seemed to thrive again for a while in 2012 under the current system,  Then something really dramatic happened.  His relationship with the coaches crumbled.  I don't know if he was burned out by the coach or his personal issues caused it.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 27, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »

LOL .

Curious  - Who let the dumb ass "black hole" out of the Pirate's Cove ??

Vince , did you leave the back door open  ??

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 27, 2013, 10:01:59 AM »

LOL .

I was wondering how long it would take for you to revert to your childish, troll like behavior. Congrats. You actually resembled  a respectable poster for lot longer than I expected. But alas, all things must come to an end.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #14 : September 27, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

LOL .

I was wondering how long it would take for you to revert to your childish, troll like behavior. Congrats. You actually resembled  a respectable poster for lot longer than I expected. But alas, all things must come to an end.

I just find it amusing that you are taking yourself so seriously with this Freeman defense ....I certainly could careless about debating the merits of Freeturd or anything else with the "black hole" . I know better , and the verdict is already in.

But thanks for joining the discussion about  6 months too late from when there actually WAS a real debate.  Now , mosey on back down to the Cove and make the argument for communism like you normally do.  Buh-bye now.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs must diversify schemes for any quarterback's success « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools