Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman not gone but will be forgotten « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 28, 2013, 02:22:44 AM »

Fennelly: Bucs' Freeman not gone but will be forgotten

Martin Fennelly

Tribune staff

Published: September 27, 2013

TAMPA —

Thursday, game weeks, was traditionally when Josh Freeman spoke with media, on a podium, behind a lectern.

So much for tradition. Thursday, media swept into the locker room looking for the Bucs' new backup quarterback. Freeman saw them. He was half-dressed. He finished with his pants, grabbed his shoes and vamoosed, out the door, off limits. He hadn't even put on a shirt.

First came Shoeless Joe.

Now there's Shirtless Josh.

Say it ain't so.

Say something, anything.

Maybe Freeman was taking the high road. Or perhaps he was in a hurry to give street directions to the ESPN crew down for the exclusive.

Nice, Josh. Real nice.

In fairness, Freeman has usually answered most of our questions, albeit lifelessly.

But wouldn't it have been great if the exiled QB, now officially Schianoed, had come into the locker room Thursday, smiled and said “I know we wanted to get more quarterback sacks this season, but this is ridiculous.”

Bad-a-boom. Ah, funny Josh. It's in there somewhere. People tell me about it.

Wouldn't it have been grand if Free had stood there and, while praising Mike Glennon, and with all due respect, said that he still thought he was this team's best chance to win? Ah, the forceful Josh, the fourth-quarter, take-charge Josh.

I guess he didn't have it in him.

Once upon a time, it was all about 5. Once upon a time, in 2009, Josh Freeman threw three touchdowns and willed the Bucs to a comeback win over the Packers — his very first NFL start. Once upon a time, in 2010, Freeman threw 25 touchdowns and just six interceptions. Once, he was a franchise quarterback. Thursday, he was an empty locker.

There are few things more nonexistent, more awkward, than an NFL former starting quarterback still in residence. There are never ruffles or flourishes, so there were none between Freeman and Glennon, now the 33rd starting quarterback in Bucs history — no passing of the torch or the Josh Freeman Tuesday radio show time slot.

It's on to the next one. The Bucs are big on that. For 38 years, this franchise, for all sorts of reasons, has never grown a franchise quarterback — 38 years and not one Bucs QB has ever gotten to a second contract with this team. Josh Freeman was going to be the one, once upon a time.

He is currently listed as the No. 2 quarterback behind Glennon, but that will have to change. Freeman can't go back in a game for this team. We'll still see him on TV sometimes, when Glennon comes to the sideline. Forgotten, but not gone.

Thursday would have been a wonderful day to see the all-in Josh, the Josh we once saw, who when he came into this league was on a mission. There was draft night, after Freeman was selected. He was asked about being selected 16 spots after top pick Matthew Stafford and 12 spots behind Mark Sanchez.

“They're good quarterbacks,” Josh Freeman said. “… But if I had a pick, I'd take myself.”

What happened to that Josh?

He was hammered into pulp over five seasons, lately by his second NFL head coach, or misguided handlers, bad advice, maybe self doubt. Don't make mistakes. Don't say anything. He crumbled before our eyes.

Wouldn't it have been great if once, just once, Freeman had stood on the podium and fought off the death rattle, if he'd said “This is my team” or “Fran Tarkenton doesn't know what I have inside me. I'm a good quarterback.” Even the illusion of confidence, of leadership, would have done.

Tampa Bay might have liked Josh Freeman, a lot, if it had ever gotten to know him. But it didn't, just as it doesn't know Greg Schiano. They won't let us in. There's a profound disconnect between this franchise and this community. The TV blackouts might be lifted, but darkness has gathered nonetheless, and short of winning there might be no way to stop it ­— or care about it.

That's not Josh Freeman's problem anymore. He'll leave and go somewhere else. Maybe he'll even win a Super Bowl, like Doug Williams did, or Steve Young did, or Trent Dilfer did. Yes, maybe it will be like that in another place, for another team, maybe on another podium.

Thursday, he was just a shirtless guy hurrying to the nearest exit. I guess there really is nothing else to say.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

« #1 : September 28, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »

Distant memory once the Cannon scores.

Its ok, Ive been here before... --Lovie Smith

Hes a great coach, hes been there before... --Lavonte David

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 28, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »

Distant memory once the Cannon scores.

Distant memory once the Cannon scores.wins enough to get the team in the playoffs.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 28, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »

Local media is going to crucify him now that he refused to talk to them....bad move on his part. He should have manned up and took his medicine.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chrisras

Starter

« #4 : September 28, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »

It will take me a very long time to get over the Freeman nightmare era.  Years of coaches getting hired and fired and hired and fired.  Endless blackouts.  Being in the thick of the draft pick races instead of playoff races.  Years of excuses for him. Years of agony.   It was a gawd awful time to be a Bucs fan.  It's finally over. 
« : September 28, 2013, 04:22:00 PM chrisras »

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 28, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »

Who's josh Freeman?

bucDsystem

Starter

« #6 : September 28, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »

Janet said it best
what have you done for me lately?

to win...you must envision victory -devise a plan -and then have the guts to destroy anything that stands in your way

bent09

Starter

« #7 : September 28, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

Anyone remember the fire Freeman had?  I just remember him yanking Winslow by the face mask when in the huddle.  Especially when he first stepped in he was in it.

Makes me think that Raheem said this is your team and make sure everyone knows it.  He did it, to now....running out the back door.  Sad but his talent is linked directly with confidence of the coach.  Hope he lands somewhere solid.

Would not rule out NE, Brady is 37 and when does he get traded foe two firsts?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #8 : September 28, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

To Fennelly's point, the Tampa Bay media must shoulder an equal share of the blame for the disconnect. It is the conduit between the Bucs and fans is it not?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 28, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »

Anyone remember the fire Freeman had?  I just remember him yanking Winslow by the face mask when in the huddle.  Especially when he first stepped in he was in it.

Makes me think that Raheem said this is your team and make sure everyone knows it.  He did it, to now....running out the back door.  Sad but his talent is linked directly with confidence of the coach.  Hope he lands somewhere solid.

Are you sayin Freeman will fetch 2 first rounders. ?

Or they trade for Freeman and trade Brady for 2 first rounders.?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : September 28, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »

Who's josh Freeman?

LOL

It will be interesting to see how he does on his new team.  Some team will pick him up, maybe by trade, or in free agency. . Dude has all the measureables, and played lights out for 1 season anyway.   Someone will be confident they can straighten him out.   I would guess he prefers hitting free agency, rather than the trade. In free agency he can control where he goes.  But even if he is traded, he could refuse to sign a long term contract. Then hit free agency anyway.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #11 : September 28, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »

Billy B would never, ever play Freeman. Having a slow release and inconsistent performance is not the mark of a NE QB. Besides, another third rounder Ryan Mallett is the heir apparent.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 28, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »

No one is going to break his team records tomorrow. He's still going to be what every Bucs QB strives to be better than for a while.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 28, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »

Billy B would never, ever play Freeman. Having a slow release and inconsistent performance is not the mark of a NE QB. Besides, another third rounder Ryan Mallett is the heir apparent.

They shopped Mallett during last years draft.  So I don't think they are that high on him. [no pun intended]

Belichick was talking up Freeman pretty good before the Patriots game.  So I guess anything is possible.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

gone

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 29, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »

Denver would be a good place for Josh IMO.  Not that he's shown he can learn anything, but being near Manning would help, and give him time to get past whatever it is that is keeping him from making the leap, whether that's personal or professional.  Denver isn't going to be picking anywhere near where they need to be for Manning's replacement and Josh could be a viable option if they can fix him.

He needs to go somewhere with an entrenched but aging starter IMO.  I don't see any but the most desperate coach with a team that isn't bad enough to be picking in range of top QBs being ready to take a gamble on Josh any time soon.  And if they aren't stable at QB Josh is a QB controversy waiting to happen. 
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman not gone but will be forgotten « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools