Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 28, 2013, 02:27:31 AM »

Mark Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned

By Ken Boehlke - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:00 am

The Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik’s seat has been growing hotter and hotter. I’m here to try to cool it off, because he has one shortcoming, and it’s not worth letting him go for.

Throughout his years as general manager of the Buccaneers, Mark Dominik has worked tirelessly to pile more and more talent on the roster. Just in the past two years he’s brought in Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Doug Martin, Mark Barron, Lavonte David, Darrelle Revis, and Dashon Goldson. He’s also drafted or signed players like Mike Williams, Mason Foster, Davin Joseph, Dekoda Watson, Donald Penn as well as many others that have made a significant impact on the field.

When its come to player personnel he’s had some misses. Aqib Talib, Kellen Winslow, and I guess you can add Josh Freeman  to the mix now. But he seems to always sever ties at the right time, and tends to wind up getting something out of these guys. The Freeman situation should be seen as yet another good decision by Dominik rather than a mark on him for drafting him years ago. He didn’t re-sign the guy in the off season, and then got him out of there swiftly in order to help the franchise move on as quickly as possible.

But Mark Dominik does have one issue, that is, he struggles with coaches. And then Dominik lets these bad coaches make important decisions about the direction of the franchise. He let Raheem (who he did not choose) pick the quarterback, and he let his guy Schiano bring in his own coaching staff. A coaching staff that includes an offensive coordinator that’s system doesn’t really work for the QB he has, and a defensive coordinator who gets gifted the best DB in the NFL and he uses him in a zone.

Dominik is clearly at fault for letting all of this happen. But as a fan, I want players more than coaches. Give me talent, and then we’ll find someone to get them going in the right direction. Dominik has built a solid roster of talented NFL players, but he has yet to land a coach who can coach them.

So when the season ends, and the team decides who to keep and who to get rid of, they need to take into account the whole picture. Sure, Dominik’s ability to pick a coach is awful, but his knack for getting good players on the field is close to incredible.

His hand is in all of it. But they need to consider what the future will be like with him vs. without him. He’s proven he can get great players to dawn the pewter and red and lace em up for the Buccaneers. If he’s let go, you can’t guarantee that continues. If you keep him, you might need to assist him in getting a new coach, but you know, the 53 on the field will be good enough to win, and at the end of the day, that’s what really matters.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/09/26/mark-dominiks-one-fault-hopefully-enough-get-canned/

gone

Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 28, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »

Funny how all that tireless work brought in almost no talent until 2012.  As I said, Dom gets no blame for the last 2 years' failures, but all the credit for the successes.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : September 28, 2013, 03:47:57 AM »

One fault?
I like the guy and didn't want to see him canned until I really thought about the job he's done and how bad he actually is.
He has no eye for value, it's like he hands over a blank cheque to players agents. (Wright, Black, Clayton, Goldson)
He's over invested in positions that aren't really of great importance like safety, guard & kicker and done it with players that aren't worth the cash thrown at them. (Goldson, Joseph)
He isnt proactive, he's reactive, he waits for a position on the roster to become such an obvious hole that Stevie wonder could see it then over reacts (any fan could see the CB issue coming years ago but no, we have to wait them he goes and gives away a first rounder and $1 million per game on one CB, uses a 2nd round the same year at the same position.
Where is the real depth? Not the guys who's names we know because we're fans who get to know every time a player farts in a meeting. Seems most of our depth is at least 1 place too high on the depth chart.
You want to know why there's a lack of depth? His drafting (even if you exclude his gift of Freetard to Morris) is suspect to say the least. Price, Benn & Lewis were all prime picks wasted, you could throw in that the 2nd given for Winslow was too high, Bowers and Stocker aren't living up to their draft positions either

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

« #3 : September 28, 2013, 04:59:01 AM »

I think Dom has been outstanding the last 2 seasons. Doug Martin and Lavonte David were homeruns, I still have high hopes for Barron. Banks and Spence look like great picks so far for the most recent draft. Add in the ballsy moves to bring in VJax, Nicks, Revis, and Goldson. He has brought elite talent to the team. The year before he took over, did we have any "elite" player on the team?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : September 28, 2013, 06:01:48 AM »

1. He's been so "outstanding" that we are 7-12 over the last two years.
2. That the team lacked for talent was a big part of his predecessors getting fired. Previous failures shouldn't keep him employed longer. The Bucs haven't made the playoffs during his tenure when 37.5 percent of the league makes it each year. He has failed to bring in the two most important positions on the field: elite QB, elite pass rusher.
This is the non-Pollyanna bottom line.

In Verner We Trust

watson

Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 28, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »

The fact that the best he could do was find a college coach from a lower level program...that had never even won his conference championship...to be the leader of the franchise is proof enough for me that he is not the answer as the GM.  Seems like a very nice man, but being a nice guy does not equate to managing a winning NFL franchise.  I would love to see them bring in Eric DeCosta, the asst GM of thr Ravens, as the Bucs GM.  Having worked around Ozzie Newsome for a number of years should give him a good idea of talent evaluation and what to look for in a coaching staff.
« : September 28, 2013, 06:20:13 AM watson »

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 28, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »

24-43 and 1-8 in the last. 9.  Whatever his plan is it hasn't been working .  Where are the results?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 28, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »

24-43 and 1-8 in the last. 9.  Whatever his plan is it hasn't been working .  Where are the results?

He's not either one of these crappy coaches we've had.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 28, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »

One fault?
I like the guy and didn't want to see him canned until I really thought about the job he's done and how bad he actually is.
He has no eye for value, it's like he hands over a blank cheque to players agents. (Wright, Black, Clayton, Goldson)
He's over invested in positions that aren't really of great importance like safety, guard & kicker and done it with players that aren't worth the cash thrown at them. (Goldson, Joseph)
He isnt proactive, he's reactive, he waits for a position on the roster to become such an obvious hole that Stevie wonder could see it then over reacts (any fan could see the CB issue coming years ago but no, we have to wait them he goes and gives away a first rounder and $1 million per game on one CB, uses a 2nd round the same year at the same position.
Where is the real depth? Not the guys who's names we know because we're fans who get to know every time a player farts in a meeting. Seems most of our depth is at least 1 place too high on the depth chart.
You want to know why there's a lack of depth? His drafting (even if you exclude his gift of Freetard to Morris) is suspect to say the least. Price, Benn & Lewis were all prime picks wasted, you could throw in that the 2nd given for Winslow was too high, Bowers and Stocker aren't living up to their draft positions either
Good points. Without K2 though Free would have been lost. He was a good receiver that could work the middle. Something Free lacks as if right now, and it has made him look worse.

Not landing a veteran QB years ago, I practically screamed it, was such a major mistake and you could see it coming from six miles away. Get anyone who could lead a team who has been through it. Even listed names in wouldn't have minded.

Some posters were against it. It would rattle him you said.

Bah.

Dom is nit a good GM. He drafts sexy, and loses big more than he should. His record is abysmal. His lack of foresight is startling.

But he was OJTing it, so he did the best he could.

But he is to blame for this mess. Shlt rolls downhill.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 28, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »

First freepologists, now dompologists. He has A TON of faults. Whiffs on contract extensions/whiffs in FA/bad drafts. Im pretty sure once freeman is gone that entire 2009 draft class will no be on this roster. I dont think he will ever hire a good coach. He doesn't have a Xs and Os football mind. Its quite clear.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 28, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

Patriots of the South! 

Giants of the South!

Reality:  Browns of the South.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 28, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »

Without K2, Freeman might have been forced to learn progressions...

Hoist the Battleflag

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : September 28, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »

Yeah, like he does now?

Ba ha ha ha!

He targeted Vincent Jackson more than ANY QB in the NFL targeted their primary receiver.

Give it a break. And now, Free looks completely useless because he lacks a safety valve that can operate the softest part of the field. And now, he is toast.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 28, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »

Talk smack all you want boid, but I happen to believe there are some redeeming qualities.

These FA's would not have came here, at least, not all of them, without MD driving it. He also got Penn, trueblood, vj, nicks, some others restructured, kept the good ones, and with freeman made the solid choice of NOT resigning the guy in the offseason and allowing his coach to make the freeman benching call.

He's not perfect, but in the nfl world of GM's he makes a lot of them look dumb.

The titans are still pissed, the chargers aren't happy, and the jets feel ripped off. Sounds nice to me anyway.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

« #14 : September 28, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »

One fault?

+1

Its ok, Ive been here before... --Lovie Smith

Hes a great coach, hes been there before... --Lavonte David
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools