Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #30 : September 28, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »

hard for me to blame him for the coach because none of us knows how much of that was his decision or the Glazers?

A GM that's not allowed to pick his coach is not a GM, he is a yes man...a monkey boy.  A piece of garbage.  Let's get some real NFL juice in here to run things and someone with the balls to tell the Glazers to butt out.
Clearly you've never owned a business.

And if NFL GM Mark Dominik is a piece of garbage, I'd imagine you try not to reflect on your own life due to fear of depression and suicide

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #31 : September 28, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

hard for me to blame him for the coach because none of us knows how much of that was his decision or the Glazers?

A GM that's not allowed to pick his coach is not a GM, he is a yes man...a monkey boy.  A piece of garbage.  Let's get some real NFL juice in here to run things and someone with the balls to tell the Glazers to butt out.

Not that i'm an expert, but i don't know of a GM in the league that could make that decision without input from ownership
Agreed.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #32 : September 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

I don't think hes a bad GM. I'll understand if he gets canned, but I'm not sure its deserved. He's acquired talent, which is his job.

So his record means nothing?  Not making the playoffs means nothing?  His ONLY responsibility is acquiring talent?  Link?
Does he coach the games? Does he play the games?

His job, by definition, is to manage the roster. If you need a link to what a GM does (I know you don't, but you're so insufferable that I'm going to give you one anyway): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_manager#Sports_teams

He's acquired a lot of talent while maintaining cap space.

HA!  I'm pissed off and angry that our GM hasn't built a playoff team in five years.  Sorry my bar isn't as low as yours.  Sorry I'm not rolling over and taking in the rear by an inept front office and coaching staff. 

BTW, sports teams?  Try AMERICAN FOOTBALL for a better wiki link...geez.

"In the National Football League, the general manager or GM of a team typically controls player transactions and bears the primary responsibility on behalf of the team during contract discussions with players.

The general manager is also normally the person who hires and fires the coaching staff, including the head coach.

The general manager will in many cases have oversight of the entire football department, typically reporting to the team president/CEO and/or owner. However, some teams have the GM act in advisory role with the head coach having oversight of the football operations (including the GM).

Bill Belichick of New England and Mike Shanahan of Washington are examples of coaches who have the title or powers of general manager, thus having the final say in football matters."

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #33 : September 28, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »

Clearly you've never owned a business.

And if NFL GM Mark Dominik is a piece of garbage, I'd imagine you try not to reflect on your own life due to fear of depression and suicide

You know, you amuse me...so I'll play along.  Here's the million dollar question, since you know zero about my personal life and accomplishments, how long should a GM get without making the playoffs before he's fired?  Can you handle a simple question like that?  I love when people attempt to extrapolate posts from a fanboard into some type of life profile.  Your opinion of me means nothing...sorry bro.

Bayside4Life

Starter

« #34 : September 28, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

I think Dominik brings a lot to the table as a GM.  In 2011 he let Caddy walk and replaced his role as third down back with Kregg Lumpkin.  That was an utter disaster.  Caddy would have cost nothing, was a veteran leader, and played great on third down, especially in blitz pickup.  The difference the next year was noticeable.  Then this year, he did not adequately address the slot WR or TE role.  We did sign Ogletree, but the number of #3 WRs that look good for the Cowboys is high because they have Dez, Miles Austin, and Witten also.  So guys like Laurent Robinson, Kevin Ogletree, Dwayne Harris look good for the Cowboys but aren't necessary "upgrades" for other teams.  Despite Vjax and Williams being quality WRs, there is no WR with elite speed, nor any shifty slot guys who can work underneath.  Our WR corps is pretty thin outside of two players who are essentially body position/jump ball type players. Tom Crabtree may help at TE, but he primarily was used as a blocker his entire career in GB.  If the team was hesitant to commit to young guys like Noble, Wright, etc. they should have gone out and at least brought a vet to camp.  Finally, I think at times Eric Lorig is a good player.  Doug Martin is much better with a fullback, but when he is injured we used a TE to fill that with terrible results.  Week 1 when we had no one at FB, we could have signed a guy like Michael Robinson who has been a pro bowler at FB.  I think given Martin's preference for a FB, it would make sense for the team to invest at that position especially given how cheap FBs are in general.  Yet, we still play with a converted DE and a TE who can't block when Lorig is injured.  Improvements at FB, TE, and 3rd WR would go a long way since guys like Vjax really draw a lot of attention.  However, instead of guys who can take advantage of the extra attention Vjax gets, we have guys who can't catch, pick the wrong hole to block, etc. 

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #35 : September 28, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »

There's no skill in signing all-pro free agents. And the Revis trade is a fail right now because it was a 100% win now move and we gave up a #1 and are paying him $1M a game and we're losing.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #36 : September 28, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Mark Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned

By Ken Boehlke - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:00 am

The Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik’s seat has been growing hotter and hotter. I’m here to try to cool it off, because he has one shortcoming, and it’s not worth letting him go for.

Throughout his years as general manager of the Buccaneers, Mark Dominik has worked tirelessly to pile more and more talent on the roster. Just in the past two years he’s brought in Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Doug Martin, Mark Barron, Lavonte David, Darrelle Revis, and Dashon Goldson. He’s also drafted or signed players like Mike Williams, Mason Foster, Davin Joseph, Dekoda Watson, Donald Penn as well as many others that have made a significant impact on the field.

When its come to player personnel he’s had some misses. Aqib Talib, Kellen Winslow, and I guess you can add Josh Freeman  to the mix now. But he seems to always sever ties at the right time, and tends to wind up getting something out of these guys. The Freeman situation should be seen as yet another good decision by Dominik rather than a mark on him for drafting him years ago. He didn’t re-sign the guy in the off season, and then got him out of there swiftly in order to help the franchise move on as quickly as possible.

But Mark Dominik does have one issue, that is, he struggles with coaches. And then Dominik lets these bad coaches make important decisions about the direction of the franchise. He let Raheem (who he did not choose) pick the quarterback, and he let his guy Schiano bring in his own coaching staff. A coaching staff that includes an offensive coordinator that’s system doesn’t really work for the QB he has, and a defensive coordinator who gets gifted the best DB in the NFL and he uses him in a zone.

Dominik is clearly at fault for letting all of this happen. But as a fan, I want players more than coaches. Give me talent, and then we’ll find someone to get them going in the right direction. Dominik has built a solid roster of talented NFL players, but he has yet to land a coach who can coach them.

So when the season ends, and the team decides who to keep and who to get rid of, they need to take into account the whole picture. Sure, Dominik’s ability to pick a coach is awful, but his knack for getting good players on the field is close to incredible.

His hand is in all of it. But they need to consider what the future will be like with him vs. without him. He’s proven he can get great players to dawn the pewter and red and lace em up for the Buccaneers. If he’s let go, you can’t guarantee that continues. If you keep him, you might need to assist him in getting a new coach, but you know, the 53 on the field will be good enough to win, and at the end of the day, that’s what really matters.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/09/26/mark-dominiks-one-fault-hopefully-enough-get-canned/

Let's all hope that Dominik's ONE fault doesn't get him canned.  (just one fault lol)

huh? Yeah let's all pray that we don't lose these guys LOL

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #37 : September 28, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »

I'm sure the Glazers made the final call but I am also sure he recommended Schiano and the rest if the crap coaches they interviewed like Brad Childress.  They would not have hired him if the GM didnt give it his stamp of approval .

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #38 : September 28, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »

There's no skill in signing all-pro free agents.

Of course, this isn't true.  If it was, every GM would be doing it.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #39 : September 28, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »

1 fault my ass...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #40 : September 28, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »

There are a lot of things I like about Dom. He makes himself accessible to the fans. Goes above and beyond to make idle talk. That is a great quality to have as a person in general. I like his drafts at the time, for the most part. Players bust and players all pro.

I like that he does chase big time FAs.

I like that he seems to learn from his errors.

But a lot of the stuff said above (the negative stuff), is true.

He has had a loooooong period of time to right the ship, and it simply hasn't materialized. Going into year six with no playoffs will be his undoing. Losing to the Jests cost him his job. No recovering from that debacle.

I have a feeling he is donesauce.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #41 : September 28, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »

How many GM's inherit $50M cap space?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #42 : September 28, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

Fair point.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #43 : September 28, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »

For the argument you've made, it really doesn't matter.  There are GM's that attempt to sign FA's every year that don't, for a myriad of reasons.  Signing FA's isn't just about having the cap space to do it.

Tony B

Rookie

« #44 : September 28, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »

Amomaly: Ask Rick smith of the texans how many years until playoffs
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools