Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #45 : September 28, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »

There's no skill in signing all-pro free agents.

Of course, this isn't true.  If it was, every GM would be doing it.

How many GM's inherit $50M cap space?

For the argument you've made, it really doesn't matter.  There are GM's that attempt to sign FA's every year that don't, for a myriad of reasons.  Signing FA's isn't just about having the cap space to do it.
I think you can argue it is. Which other teams even tried to sign Jackson, Nicks, and Goldosn? Which other teams were going to trade for Revis? Top level free agents know where they're going before free agency even starts. Which other teams went after Brandon Carr? Everyone and their mother knew he was going to Dallas.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #46 : September 28, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »

Which other teams went after Brandon Carr? Everyone and their mother knew he was going to Dallas.

And why was that?  Tampa had money to throw at Brandon Carr.  If it's only about money, why isn't he in Tampa?  Similarly, there were other teams that could have signed the FA's Tampa did, but those guys came to Tampa.

sammich

Starter

« #47 : September 29, 2013, 01:32:41 AM »

While I recognize that Dom has made his mistakes, I think he is over the hump and is on his way to becoming a very good NFL GM. I like how he works the draft. I like that he isn't afraid to move around to get "his guy" and I think he is getting better at identifying good value in the draft. Too many forget how terrible the Bucs drafting was in the GruAllen era. There are only three players that remain on the roster from the pre Dom era:

Joseph, Hayward, Zuttah

So let's look at Dom's performance:

2009: Awful, only Freeman left on the roster and he will be gone soon.
2010: McCoy, Williams, Watson, Lorig, Grimm (4 starters, 1 pro bowler)
2011: Clayborn, Foster, Bowers, Stocker, Black, Gaitor(IR)(2 starters)
2012: Barron, Martin, David, Tandy(3 starters, 1 pro bowler, David on cusp)
2013: Entire class still on roster (2 starters and nickle corner)

So half the starters on the team have come from Dom's drafts over the last four years. (That is either evidence of his ability to draft well, or of how bare the cupboard was before he took over.) Add in the FA acquisitions, and you have a team that many feel is talented enough to make the playoffs. Further, looking at that list, I see a lot of players that are actually good, that I hope spend their entire career as Bucs.

Dom had a rocky start but is improving. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, but the learning curve is behind him. I would already call him a good GM and if he continues to get better he could very well become one of the top GMs in the game.

Excellent post and I agree with every word of it.  Dom made a few errors during his learning curve but that is behind him.  He just keeps getting better.  His savvy with contracts is great.  His ability to swap around in the draft is impressive.  Almost every complaint about him has either been a few years past or are things he tried to fix with the best available.  For example several people complain about the lack of TE/3rd WR- we signed one of each in the offseason.  Ogletree hasn't looked great, but the effort was there.  Crabtree has been hurt- can't blame the GM for an injury.  Even the gambles he lost (Bowers, Price, Benn, etc) most agreed with at the time.     

I truly believe that with a good QB this team could go head to head with any team in the league.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #48 : September 29, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »

So who is the top tier free agent Dom talked into coming and playing for us below market value ?

...or was his special skill simply the Glazer's private jet and a willingness to overpay ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #49 : September 29, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »

Dom has made some guys the highest paid at their position, if only for a season or less.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #50 : September 29, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

Which other teams went after Brandon Carr? Everyone and their mother knew he was going to Dallas.

And why was that?  Tampa had money to throw at Brandon Carr.  If it's only about money, why isn't he in Tampa?  Similarly, there were other teams that could have signed the FA's Tampa did, but those guys came to Tampa.

Ummm...because Dom was after another CB who will remain nameless.....

There is this ongoing Red Board assertion that Carr wouldn't sign with another team....but it's completely baseless without proof. Point is if Dom had TARGETED Carr, then it's quite possible that he'd be a Buc given the cap space and excitement around the Nicks and VJax signings at that time.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik’s One Fault, Hopefully Not Enough To Get Him Canned « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools