Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A couple big names think Johnny Manziel can be successful in the NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 28, 2013, 02:43:25 AM

Roger Staubach thinks Johnny Manziel can be successful in NFL

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

September 27, 2013 11:26 am ET

Roger Staubach believes Johnny Manziel can make it in the NFL.
 (USATSI)

It makes sense that Roger Staubach would be partial to mobile, gun-slingin' quarterbacks because that's how he approached the game both as a Heisman Trophy winner at the Naval Academy and a future Hall of Famer with the Cowboys. It helps explain why he thinks Tony Romo can win a championship, and it also sheds some light on why he's so high on Johnny Manziel's NFL future.

"I love watching him play," Staubach told Yahoo.com's Frank Schwab. "There's just something about him. He's exciting to watch. You don't have to be 6-5. Drew Brees proved that, and we see it with Russell Wilson. It really about instincts and arm strength. Size, it's being shown, is not imperative if you have those qualities. ..

"If you take the 32 NFL quarterbacks in just shorts, throwing to targets, you won't be able to say 'This guy is better than this guy,' Staubach continued. "They've got to have that feel, and can make the right play. It's that ability to understand what's happening and make those eight or nine plays that make a difference in a game. Figuring out if a guy has that inside of him is the challenge for NFL scouts."

From the perspective of mid-September, NFL personnel folks seem to be mixed on Manziel's NFL potential. He's undersized and doesn't have the strongest arm. Then there are the off-field issues. Still, the Texas A&M quarterback has a knack for playing his best when facing the country's top programs.

Prior to the Texas A&M-Alabama game earlier this month, one AFC assistant director of college scouting told MMQB.com's Greg Bedard that he was initially turned off by Manziel's offseason troubles, but (and there always seems to be a but with Manziel) "[W]hen you separate it and you think about it -- I did some stupid stuff when I was his age -- he's just being a kid. He just happens to play for a high-profile team at the most high-profile position. He just makes plays. He has that knack, that natural feel to just make plays. I'm impressed with the guy. He doesn't flinch, he's not intimidated. There's no moment that seems too big for him.

Alabama coach Nick Saban agrees.

I think Johnny's a unique player," Saban told Bedard. "Many people have said about these guys, like [Robert Griffin III], that they're not really NFL-style quarterbacks. But yet they're all doing pretty well in the NFL. I think when somebody's as instinctive as [Manziel] is, and as fast as he is, and as athletic as he is, and he's developing into a pretty good passer -- I mean last year he really developed as a passer -- I do think he has an NFL future.

We'll have to wait a year -- and maybe two if Manziel returns to Texas A&M in 2014 -- to see if that NFL future will look anything like the success he's enjoyed in college.

Gobucs991940

Second String
#1 : September 28, 2013, 05:32:08 AM

Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, Mike Mayock etc. swore up and down Tim Tebow would make it in the pros as a quarterback.

What people think really doesn't matter. It's great they think that, but really, it doesn't matter.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 28, 2013, 08:06:14 AM

This guy isn't tebow. He has a better arm by far, and he's even better with his feet.

He's also not running a gimmicky gator/Myers offense either.

The comparison isn't even a good one, unless you think all white guys that run around are the same.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Ynot

Starter
#3 : September 28, 2013, 08:42:27 AM

"If you take the 32 NFL quarterbacks in just shorts, throwing to targets, you won't be able to say 'This guy is better than this guy,' Staubach.  He obviously didn't see the Saturday night open practice to the public at RayJay.  Pretty big difference between Glennon and Freeman. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 28, 2013, 08:46:50 AM

Manziel has all the intangables you would want in a QB. Heart, will to win, love the game, etc.

He's the complete opposite of freeman. Which is why I suggest we go for it.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#5 : September 28, 2013, 08:51:19 AM

A 'couple big names' thought Freeman and Sanchez were going to be successful too. Nothing to see here.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 28, 2013, 09:16:25 AM

Lose em all for Johnny Ball!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 28, 2013, 10:12:57 AM

Lose em all for Johnny Ball!

Hell yeah!

We'd get a good QB, and as a bonus, the glazers wouldn't have to buy out games. People love Johnny football.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 28, 2013, 10:32:39 AM

Don't know if he would be a good pro but it would be fun to watch.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 28, 2013, 11:06:20 AM

I think he's far superior to tebow, but will bring in the crowds just like him.

His accuracy and throwing motion are compact and fluid, even on the run. He has an advantage in size by actually being smaller, and can cut corners in a split second. Besides that, he quick in all aspects of the game. Quick thinker, nimble toes, quick release, quick at dropping back.

When I watch guys like bridgewater, I see a ton of YAC. Not with manziel. He MAKES things happen all on his own, without gimmicks, and that is deffinately a sign of a good QB.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 28, 2013, 12:13:10 PM

His accuracy and throwing motion are compact and fluid, even on the run. He has an advantage in size by actually being smaller, and can cut corners in a split second. Besides that, he quick in all aspects of the game. Quick thinker, nimble toes, quick release, quick at dropping back.

When I watch guys like bridgewater, I see a ton of YAC. Not with manziel. He MAKES things happen all on his own, without gimmicks, and that is deffinately a sign of a good QB.
Brigdewater throws his guys open so that's why they get a lot of YAC. He is accurate enough to hit his guys in stride. When it comes to throwing the ball, Teddy is the best by far.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#11 : September 28, 2013, 12:18:49 PM

YAC is bad wtf?

youngone

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 28, 2013, 12:20:13 PM

YAC is bad wtf?
Gotta bring down the lead dog somehow.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 28, 2013, 08:11:31 PM

Manziel leading  tonight again.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 28, 2013, 09:48:18 PM

Squad and young, I believe you're missing my point.

Maybe I'm wrong, and indeed he is throwing his guys open... maybe he's just that good? Because of the type of argument this is, it could be either.

However, this is something that is very tough to gage. From what I've seen, a lot of the plays are designed to make YAC. That doesn't dismiss what Bwater is doing, it just makes me question his eliteness a little. Also, if you watch their wideouts, they're pretty solid blockers once someone gets going. YAC isn't a bad thing at all, but it isn't the QB making those yards, it's the Wr's and blockers.

He's still worthy of top three status, no doubt. He's MAKInG those throws regardless. But I am already questioning his talent vs. system, and his ability to think on the fly.

He should be a good QB, but idk if he's going to be as good as manziel or mariota at the professional level.

(Trust me, I know the stance I've taken on Water was going to be a rough one before I ever started talking about it)

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A couple big names think Johnny Manziel can be successful in the NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools