Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nick Foles...."It felt like it was a home game" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : October 14, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »

Video: Tom Crabtree Talks About Frustration of 0-5

By Jenna Laine
Bucs Insider

After the Bucs’ 31-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, tight end Tom Crabtree talked about the frustration of being 0-5 and what Bucs need to do to get that elusive first win.

“I’d be lying if I told you that we weren’t frustrated and we’re all happy, but that’s not the case. The big thing is, I think we have a good group of guys and coaches. Coaches and players are going to stick together. Nobody’s blaming anybody. It’s a team effort and we’re all frustrated, we’re all tired of it. We’ve just got to come together and figure out what we’ve got to do to get this thing going.”

Crabtree also gave assessments on rookie quarterback Mike Glennon, who started just his second NFL game, and tight end Tim Wright, who just this year converted from wide receiver to tight end.

Video: Jonathan Casillas Talks Eagles’ Tempo and LeSean McCoy

By Jenna Laine
Bucs Insider

After the Bucs’ 31-20 loss to the Eagles, linebacker Jonathan Casillas talked about how the Buccaneer defense got a wakeup call on the opening drive and what makes running back LeSean McCoy so tough to stop.

Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/video-tom-crabtree-talks-about-frustration-of-0-5/#TGbzZYQKiRmsheuc.99

Rapid Reaction: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

October, 13, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. --

A few thoughts on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 31-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at Raymond James Stadium:

What it means: The Bucs are 0-5 and going nowhere fast. They couldn’t even beat a mediocre team at home. Coach Greg Schiano has lost 10 of his past 11 games, dating back to last season. Schiano is officially on the hot seat and the Bucs are officially in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft. By late in the fourth quarter, much of the rare sellout crowd that remained in the stands was wearing Philadelphia green jerseys. The Bucs have looked to be in disarray all season and things aren't getting any better.

Still a rookie: Making his second start, quarterback Mike Glennon looked good at times. But his third-quarter interception, which came on an apparent miscommunication with wide receiver Tiquan Underwood, helped set up a touchdown that put the Eagles ahead for good.

Stock Watch, rising: Tight end Tim Wright quietly had a nice game. For the first time this season, the tight end was a factor in the passing game. Wright had seven catches for 91 yards.

Stock Watch, falling: The zone defense. The Bucs need to scrap it because it’s not working. Cornerback Darrelle Revis never should be asked to play zone defense.

History repeats itself: Nick Foles started at quarterback in place of an injured Michael Vick, for the second straight game, and led the Eagles to victory in Tampa.

What’s next: The Bucs play the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome next Sunday.

Locker Room Buzz: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

October, 13, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. --

Observed in the locker room after the Buccaneers’ 31-20 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles:

•If you were expecting explosions out of the Tampa Bay locker room after a fifth straight loss, you’ll be disappointed. Some players clearly were frustrated, but most of them mouthed the same old clichés about the need to execute better.

•As he met with the media, coach Greg Schiano said something about sticking to his convictions. In other words, he isn’t going to suddenly scrap the use of a zone defense.

•Tight end Tim Wright might have been the only player in the locker room with something positive to talk about. The rookie caught nine passes for 91 yards and was swarmed by the media in the locker room.

•Win or lose, protocol in the NFL is for the quarterback to address the media as a group. Mike Glennon did that, but his news conference lasted only two questions. There simply wasn’t much to be said about another disappointing loss.

What they're saying about Bucs-Eagles game

Times Staff 

Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:15pm

Greg Schiano, Bucs coach, on the loss:

"We're a competitive franchise who's been on the short end of the stick too many times. We need to get on the right end of the stick. We have to play our way and coach our way out of it one day at a time. That's how you do it. There's no magical answer."

Donald Penn, Bucs tackle, on the loss:

"The whole team flat played their butts off. We keep falling short. We aren't catching any breaks. I'm just stuck, to tell you the truth. I'm really stuck. But I know one thing, I'm going to come back Monday. Tomorrow I'm going to come back fighting because that's one thing I know I do."

Doug Martin, Bucs running back, on defenses keying on him because Tampa Bay has a rookie at quarterback:

"I think we've realized that that's the case, going into the game with eight or nine in the box. But, you know, we have great coaches and they will do their best to have offensive schemes to counter that."

Gerald McCoy, Bucs defensive tackle, on trying to stop Eagles RB LeSean McCoy:

"He always does a lot. You've got to put him in bad spots. … Somehow he just always finds a way to wiggle out and get to where he needs to be."

Tim Wright, Bucs tight end, on the MRSA outbreak:

"I didn't feel like it distracted us at all. It came at the end of the week, we already had our game plan in, we already executed what we had to do, the core stuff of our offense, defense and special teams. I feel like when that came upon us, it was something we had to clear up for the guys that were affected by it and just look forward to this game."

Nick Foles, Eagles quarterback, on the pro-Eagles crowd at Raymond James Stadium:

"It felt like it was a home game. There were a couple times that the crowd was yelling and I thought, 'Oh no, what happened?' And I looked, it was all the green and white jerseys. It was our fans. We had a tremendous amount of support here. It's pretty fun when you're in an opposing stadium and have that many fans."

Chip Kelly, Eagles coach, on Foles:

"I thought Nick did a really good job. He did a really good job of spreading the ball around to different receivers."

Gregg Rosenthal, nfl.com:

It's a bad sign for the Buccaneers that they lost at home to Philadelphia on the same day they got a very nice performance from rookie quarterback Mike Glennon. Tampa moved the ball, and Glennon made a number of difficult throws on third and long. He went through his progressions. His interception came when his receiver stopped on a route.

Will Brinson, cbssports.com:

Mike Glennon was actually better than most people expected here. It was the Buccaneers' defense that struggled badly. What's the point of trading for and paying Darrelle Revis if you're not going to put him on an island with your opponent's best wideout?

Pat Yasinskas, espn.com:

The next three weeks or so are critical for Schiano and the Bucs. They play division rivals Atlanta and Carolina and travel to Seattle. An 0-8 start is looking possible.

Again, I have no idea if ownership is growing as impatient as the fans. But I do know that the Glazer family, which owns the team, does not like to be embarrassed.

The Bucs have been an embarrassment recently. If that doesn't change, the Glazers also might have some unkind words for Schiano.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 14, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »

Well, I would say those Philly fans suck, but they at least bought tickets.

Of course, if we actually won a game or two, maybe we would have some fans here?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 14, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »

Some very interesting comments there.  Some of those player comments give me the sense he is close to losing the team.  I hear desperation.

Good for Wright, I am happy for him. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

Stock Watch, falling: The zone defense. The Bucs need to scrap it because it’s not working. Cornerback Darrelle Revis never should be asked to play zone defense.

Best quote of the day.

dlwoltmann

Second String

« #3 : October 14, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »

"Greg Schiano, Bucs coach, on the loss:
"We're a competitive franchise who's been on the short end of the stick too many times. We need to get on the right end of the stick. We have to play our way and coach our way out of it one day at a time. That's how you do it. There's no magical answer."

I know of one answer to the equation... and that is to remove you from it...NOW

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer

« #4 : October 14, 2013, 06:44:57 AM »

Player quotes are meaningless. You can't trust them. These guys have cameras spying on them in the lockeer rooms, weight rooms, etc. No way will the actually speak their mind to the press.

19bucs19

Second String

« #5 : October 14, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »

I was stuck in a section full of philthy fans, learned the chorus to fly eagles fly and I also learned how to spell eagles, there were plenty of brawls but I think it's safe to assume we just let anybody come in here and take over the bay... One day we might be competitive again, just not this year

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : October 14, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »

Eagle fans weren't nearly as bad as Saint fan this year.....wasn't even close.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 14, 2013, 07:02:26 AM »

Some very interesting comments there.  Some of those player comments give me the sense he is close to losing the team.  I hear desperation.

Best quote of the day.

the problem is tht other than Revis no one else we have can play man. I mean our safeties are mismatched in zone let alone man. I'm not sure any other CB can play man either. Yes, we can try and play that box and 1 type thing where Revis is in man and everyone else plays zone but that is hard to work because now everyone has that much larger zones to try and cover and with no real push rush we will get ripped apart. Again, part of the strategic levelo failure with Revis is that he didn't fit the personnel and scheme we have.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 14, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »

Best quote of the day.

the problem is tht other than Revis no one else we have can play man. I mean our safeties are mismatched in zone let alone man. I'm not sure any other CB can play man either. Yes, we can try and play that box and 1 type thing where Revis is in man and everyone else plays zone but that is hard to work because now everyone has that much larger zones to try and cover and with no real push rush we will get ripped apart. Again, part of the strategic levelo failure with Revis is that he didn't fit the personnel and scheme we have.

Are we sure Revis still can ?? He hasn't proved it yet .... I don't think I've even seen him run , and/or cut , and/or stop-and-start at all full speed more than a couple times all season , and he's the guy I key on when I'm at the games.

Revis does not look to have much quickness right now . It's the elephant in the room , but it's true.

Maybe there is a reason we are sticking Revis in so much zone and it goes beyond Schiano is just an evil a-hole.....we sure better hope not.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 14, 2013, 07:27:39 AM »

Best quote of the day.

Fair points. Here is my take on the situation.

You don't bring in the best CB in the entire league, pay him 19mil a year, and say ok, we are going to dumb you down to the level of our other pedestrian CB's.  We will put you in zone, just so the others can look halfway decent.

The better approach would be to play him in man where he excels. And tell the others, look guys, you are playing with the best CB in the game, you all are going to have to raise your level of play now.  If they can't cover the opponents #2 WR, maybe they shouldn't be here at all.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #10 : October 14, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »

Best quote of the day.

You don't bring in the best CB in the entire league, pay him 19mil a year, and say ok, we are going to dumb you down to the level of our other pedestrian CB's.  We will put you in zone, just so the others can look halfway decent.

The better approach would be to play him in man where he excels. And tell the others, look guys, you are playing with the best CB in the game, you all are going to have to raise your level of play now.  If they can't cover the opponents #2 WR, maybe they shouldn't be here at all.

When did we give Revis a 3 million dollar raise to 19 million ?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #11 : October 14, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »

I generally agree that if you pay a dude $16m you are paying him to put the cape on every Sunday. I think the problem is we did that, we got the guy and then realized that doing that won't work for us. Like I said we're in sort of a box. We should use him as you say...he should bump and run all day on whoever the #1 is for the other team even if that guy is Jimmy Graham for example.

Revis is a great example of Dom throwing money at a problem and not thinking about solving a problem. He's a bit Danny Snider in that sense building a roster of names and not a team that plays a game together. Revis doesn't mesh with the other parts we have drafted and signed which say we want to play a zone scheme not a wide open man attack. I mean we don't even have a guy we can play single high safety and risk man under coverage,

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : October 14, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »

That's BS ...there are all kinds of schemes you can run with a shutdown corner that will work if your other corners struggle in man.  You can roll coverages so that other guys have help and Revis is on a Island....that's what the Jets always did . That is where Revis got his nickname.

Problem is , are you 100% sure he would survive on a Island right now against the league's elite WR's ?? I'm not.  I've seen nothing so far to make me feel confident in that.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 14, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »

That's BS ...there are all kinds of schemes you can run with a shutdown corner that will work if your other corners struggle in man.  You can roll coverages so that other guys have help and Revis is on a Island....that's what the Jets always did . That is where Revis got his nickname.

Problem is , are you 100% sure he would survive on a Island right now against the league's elite WR's ?? I'm not.  I've seen nothing so far to make me feel confident in that.

I'm not sure he is Revis Island but the idea that you just "roll coverage" isn't accurate either. Look at how the Jets pass defense didn't drop off much when Revis went out last year. They weren't totally covering up for the other guys. You can't really "roll" coverage when teams use 3, 4 and 5 wide sets as a base set. That whole "roll to the other guy" is a remnant of thinking much along the "he erases half the field" logic. Things that were true in the 90's when teams base sets were 2 WR sets but aren't applicable now.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #14 : October 14, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »

False ...The jets didn't do this as much once they  got Cromartie , but they absolutely did it , to much success .

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nick Foles...."It felt like it was a home game" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools