Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A good analysis of Lovie Smith as potential Bucs HC « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Sim

Starter

#45 : October 16, 2013, 11:24:31 AM

The only NON-big market team that Cowher would pick is Carolina.

After everything that happened this season, we have to accept that we are at the bottom of every free-agent coach and/or players list.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 16, 2013, 11:24:44 AM

I'd love for Lovie to be our DC, but when you look at his history as a HC....and you realize we will be drafting a rookie QB.....how in the world can it seem like a good idea? We need a offensive minded HC that is great with young QBs.

Yea look at his history. He won a ton of games. Averaged 9.5 wins a year from 2005-2012.

With a top rated defense and bottom feeding offense that always lacked talent at WR and OL.

So Denver shouldn't have hired John Fox, according to you.

I dont think that translates here.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#47 : October 16, 2013, 11:37:32 AM

Of course not because it destroys whatever the point of your argument is.

Anubis

Hall of Famer

#48 : October 16, 2013, 11:44:56 AM

Smoked!

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#49 : October 16, 2013, 11:45:45 AM

I like Lovie. Tomlin is also a guy who is up there for me (If he gets fired).

But the guy who makes the most sense to me, for this Bucs team, is David Shaw out of Stanford and here are 5 key reason's why he is the man for the job......

1.) He is an offensive minded coach  --  As we've seen, it is much more vital to have a good offense than a good defense in today's NFL.

2.) He has a track record of developing some of the best young QBs -- Wether Glennon is going to be our signal caller next season or we have a top-rated rookie under center remains to be seen, but its very likely the Bucs will  go with youth at the QB position. Who better to run the show than the man who helped develop Andrew Luck?

3.) He already has NFL coaching experience. He has had stints in the NFL for teams like the Raiders, Eagles, and Ravens where he coached as a quality control guy and a positions coach.

4.) He is not a "reach". He has worked his way up from the bottom. First in the NFL as a quality control coach and then through the ranks in college where he was most recently promoted from positions coach to offensive coordinator and most recently, head coach.

5.) He is a winner. The main issue with our coach right now -- he doesn't know how to win. Shaw has proven to be a winner in every capacity. The teams he worked for in the NFL regularly posed winning records. The teams he coached for in college won championships. He is currently 5-1 as Stanford's head coach. That sound a helluva lot better than 0-5.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#50 : October 16, 2013, 11:53:02 AM

Smoked!

Yes. Smoked by JC5100. His arguments are always so objective.  ???

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#51 : October 16, 2013, 11:53:32 AM

How do you figure? So with you being so quick to assume you are correct does that mean you are doing so to destroy whatever chance there might be of someone else being right?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#52 : October 16, 2013, 11:58:27 AM

Dungy was bad at offense when we had Dilfer/King and the Florida smurfs at WR.  Notice how he got a lot less conservative wi Manning.  Sometimes being a turtle is less about your "philosophy" than it is the reality that you are given.  I'm not saying Lovie isn't a turtle but a lot of guys like Dungy, schottenheimer, Fox have hyper conservative reputations that are mostly earned because they had lousy QBs where it is better to not be wide open.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#53 : October 16, 2013, 12:02:01 PM

How do you figure? So with you being so quick to assume you are correct does that mean you are doing so to destroy whatever chance there might be of someone else being right?

Lovie Smith and John Fox had similar careers in Chicago and Carolina in the same period. Both defensive coaches, which is why JDouble doesn't want Smith. Fox gets a second shot in Denver, dominating the league. He went to the 2nd round of the playoffs with Tebow so you can't say it's all Manning.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#54 : October 16, 2013, 12:13:35 PM

"Hell, he took a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Frigging Grossman as quarterback."

Do we want a guy who installs Rex Grossman as QB?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#55 : October 16, 2013, 12:15:20 PM

"Hell, he took a team to the Super Bowl with Rex Frigging Grossman as quarterback."

Do we want a guy who installs Rex Grossman as QB?

Angelo had a lot to do with that.  Along with the offensive line inadequacies and lack of wide receivers.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#56 : October 16, 2013, 12:26:00 PM

I'd love for Lovie to be our DC, but when you look at his history as a HC....and you realize we will be drafting a rookie QB.....how in the world can it seem like a good idea? We need a offensive minded HC that is great with young QBs.

Yea look at his history. He won a ton of games. Averaged 9.5 wins a year from 2005-2012.

With a top rated defense and bottom feeding offense that always lacked talent at WR and OL.

So, if Angelo had procured talent at WR and OL, the Bears would have been even better? Good argument for Lovie coming here.

I don't who I want here. I just know, at this point, I want a top notch DC and OC.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#57 : October 16, 2013, 01:50:16 PM

Cowher is always an interesting option.

I don't see Cowher as a realistic option. People say money talks, but Cowher has turned down offers already. The only job he apparently wants is the NYG job, since he's very close to the Mara family. He'll get his money AND he'll be coaching in the city that he wants to coach in for the family he wants to coach in.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#58 : October 16, 2013, 01:52:41 PM

Cowher is always an interesting option.

I don't see Cowher as a realistic option. People say money talks, but Cowher has turned down offers already. The only job he apparently wants is the NYG job, since he's very close to the Mara family. He'll get his money AND he'll be coaching in the city that he wants to coach in for the family he wants to coach in.

Why does everybody crown Cowher? These Steeler HCs are always put in positions to succeed. A la a successful organization.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#59 : October 16, 2013, 01:58:48 PM

I'm not huge on Cowher. I don't see him as a savior.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A good analysis of Lovie Smith as potential Bucs HC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools