Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Expect to see these names when the coaching carousel season begins. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#30 : November 05, 2013, 12:52:01 PM

Schiano in 2014.

Ha. You silly DTG

I'm not convinced he's going to get fired.

I agree.  2 years into a 5 year deal is a problem.

Gruden was fired after 1 year with 3 left to go on his contract.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 05, 2013, 12:54:50 PM

Gruden also lost the locker room, and refused to commit to drafting and developing a young QB.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#32 : November 05, 2013, 01:00:16 PM

Schiano in 2014.

Ha. You silly DTG

With the "we've replaced the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators" card yet to be played, I'm with ya.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 05, 2013, 01:04:07 PM

When you look at QB decisions, circumstances coaches don't have anything to do with are huge. As we saw with Raheem Morris in 2009, Childress and Bevell were put into a difficult situation because they inherited a team that had a successful season the year before. The 2005 Vikings with Mike Tice and Brad Johnson went 9-7 but ownership decided to blow things up, so the new guys didn't have high picks to play with. They had to make the best with what they had. Picking at #17 in 2006, they missed out on all three QBs with first round grades so they took a flyer on Jackson at the very end of the 2nd. The other QBs who went around that area were Kellen Clemons, Charlie Whitehurst, and Brodie Croyle. They were screwed no matter what. If they had decided to wait until 2007, they would have seen the worst QB class in modern history. So you can say he was responsible for selecting Jackson, but if I'm going to hold something against someone, I have to know he had a better option and chose the wrong one.

I'm talking about Jackson to Seattle, not the Vikings drafting him. I don't blame him for Flynn because Schneider was there in GB when Flynn was drafted.

I do think you make a lot of good points that people frequently forget about the draft - sometimes there are no good options.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#34 : November 05, 2013, 01:06:01 PM

Gruden also lost the locker room, and refused to commit to drafting and developing a young QB.

I understand all that - I'm simply addressing the idea that the Glazers might be reluctant to throw away 3 years of guaranteed contract. They've shown they are willing to do it if the situation is right. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 05, 2013, 01:33:50 PM

Schiano in 2014.

Ha. You silly DTG

With the "we've replaced the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators" card yet to be played, I'm with ya.
knowing that it would most likely be a one year deal and considering Schiano isn't well liked and that he doesn't  have a lot of NFL contacts I wouldn't expect much of a upgrade .  No one worth a damn is signing on here.  At best we would get the Greg Olsen's of the world.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#36 : November 05, 2013, 01:40:36 PM

Did you play for Gruden, or were you here during Dungy's era? Always appreciate your insight, thanks for posting

moose40

Hall of Famer
#37 : November 05, 2013, 01:43:48 PM

DTG, I've asked this before, and not sure I've gotten an answer. You seem to have an inside source (I apologize if I don't know who you are, and your credentials, and I should know who you are) so maybe you can help me with this:

Can you tell me, are the rumors about Gruden not wanting Simms true, and is there truth to the stories about Gruden being told no, when he wanted Rodgers?

Maybe he didn't want to develop a bust like Simms, but would have spent the time with Mr Rodgers?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 05, 2013, 02:51:43 PM

If they stay then it's likely that Glennon is the QB going forward and we draft Jadaveon Clowney aka Eric Curry Reincarnate...sigh...

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#39 : November 05, 2013, 03:03:29 PM

If they stay then it's likely that Glennon is the QB going forward and we draft Jadaveon Clowney aka Eric Curry Reincarnate...sigh...

I want a QB first and foremost.

But Clowney would be my second choice after a top tier QB.

Most people who says he sucks and will be a bust don't actually watch him play.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 05, 2013, 05:53:49 PM

Mike Zimmer.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : November 05, 2013, 05:59:48 PM

Did you play for Gruden, or were you here during Dungy's era? Always appreciate your insight, thanks for posting

I was not active in the league when Coach Gruden took over.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#42 : November 05, 2013, 06:09:15 PM

Can you tell me, are the rumors about Gruden not wanting Simms true, and is there truth to the stories about Gruden being told no, when he wanted Rodgers?
Maybe he didn't want to develop a bust like Simms, but would have spent the time with Mr Rodgers?

Coach Gruden had a preference for veteran QB's to run his offense. It is my understanding that one of the factors in the decision process to part ways with Coach Gruden is that the Glazers specifically asked him about his long-term plans for the QB position. The answer they wanted was that he would draft a franchise QB and develop him, but that's not the answer they received.

I don't believe that Coach Gruden ever felt that Chris Simms was his answer at QB, so do with that information whatever you will.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#43 : November 05, 2013, 06:18:16 PM

I understand all that - I'm simply addressing the idea that the Glazers might be reluctant to throw away 3 years of guaranteed contract. They've shown they are willing to do it if the situation is right.

No...they dumped a SB winning coach for dollar bin coaches and front office.  They went cheap.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#44 : November 05, 2013, 06:25:32 PM

I think the reason they haven't fired Schiano is because the Glazers simply don't fire coaches during the season. It was obvious that they should have fired Morris around week 8 or so, and they waited until the end of the year. Like Morris, they will want to completely clean house and promoting an interim guy leaves opportunity to keep some of the staff around. I think they'd rather do a clean break after the season.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Expect to see these names when the coaching carousel season begins. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools