Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be better off losing out « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: November 16, 2013, 03:40:12 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be better off losing out

Big second half could keep Schiano, Glennon in place

By ALAN DELL

adell@bradenton.com

November 15, 2013

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon #8 throws a pass against the Miami Dolphins during the first quarter of an NFL football game Monday, Nov. 11, 2013, in Tampa, Fla.
 CHRIS O'MEARA AP Photo

TAMPA --

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won't make the playoffs, but what happens the rest of the season could determine the future success of the franchise.

The 2014 NFL Draft is expected to be rich in franchise quarterbacks and if the Bucs don't win a game the rest of the season they will at worst have the second overall pick.

The draft could have five franchise quarterbacks, including Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

Despite the recent success of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick and Tom Brady way back when, the chance of getting a franchise quarterback beyond the second round is small.

Since 2000, nearly all the franchise quarterbacks were drafted in the first round. The top five overall picks of late include Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton, who followed Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Michael Vick. Also chosen in the first round were Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger and Jay Cutler.

So you can't blame Bucs fans for rooting against their team. It could get them a franchise quarterback, and head coach Greg Schiano would likely be gone if the 1-8 Bucs finish 1-15.

There is a legitimate fear that if Schiano stays, he will pass on one of those elite quarterbacks because he has put his career on the line with rookie Mike Glennon, a third-round pick.

The Bucs haven seven games left, and four are winnable. If Schiano gets that number he would finish the second half of the season at 5-3 and most likely get another year.

The toughest games are at Detroit and Carolina and a home game against San Francisco. The Bucs play New Orleans in the regular season finale, but the Saints will likely have wrapped up a playoff spot by then and have nothing to play for. The Bucs play injury-riddled Atlanta on Sunday at home, and later there is Buffalo and St. Louis, two beatable teams.

The first question to ponder is how much improved the Bucs are after their win over the Miami Dolphins on Monday night and an overtime road loss to Seattle the previous week.

There is enough to make an argument either way, but the continuation of potential game-killing mistakes is troublesome.

The Bucs defense finally closed out a game, though it waited until the Dolphins' final possession to register two sacks against quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who has been sacked a league-high 37 times.

Many of the problems that existed during the Bucs' eight-game losing streak cropped up again. They blew a 15-point lead, their offense was nearly non-existent in the second half, along with quarterback Mike Glennon, until the game-winning drive.

To their credit, the run game woke up, and the defense came through at the end.

But there were dumb penalties again (by Dashon Goldson and Eric Paige). Punter Mike Koenen almost gave the game away when he shanked a punt, and in the second half Glennon threw for 49 yards and had an interception that could've lost the game. Give the Bucs defense credit in holding the Dolphins to a field goal on that play, which gave Miami a first and goal at the 7.

"At the beginning of the year, we were in that same exact situation, last drive and we didn't come up on the winning end of it," linebacker Lavonte David said. "We got in that situation again; I felt like I should step up and said something to get the guys motivated, get the guys hyped up. My words, I didn't think they were much, but it motivated guys and we got the job done."

There were coverage breakdowns in the second half and holding penalties in the third quarter that killed potential drives in an all too familiar scenario.

But the offensive line with former Pro Bowler Davin Joseph held things together.

"Having a set line right now definitely helps, getting a win definitely helps, getting the yardage, all that stuff, it all helps. Now we have the task of keeping it up," Joseph said. "Coach (Earnest) Byner, he's awesome. You really see how he prepares those guys (running backs) and gets them ready for the game and how he's committed to them and their success. You plug guys in and they just take off."

http://www.bradenton.com/2013/11/15/4830310/tampa-bay-buccaneers-may-be-better.html#storylink=cpy

m_j

Starter

#1 : November 16, 2013, 08:49:53 AM

Yepp, it is that simple!

Only, I am not sold on any other QB than Teddy and Johnny. First one is pretty much no brainer, second one is a winner with lot of additional stuff that might put a spotlight on this franchise and bring people back in Ray Jay. Otherwise I am afraid we might have empty stadium thruought 2014, apart from maybe Derick Brooks HoF & RoH game!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 16, 2013, 02:21:24 PM

If we stay in the top two we get TB or Manziel.

If that's the case, I'm all for losing out.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 16, 2013, 05:40:05 PM

Manziel can most likely be had in the 6-10 pick range .  I'm good winning some damn ball games.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

zsmith22

Starter

#4 : November 16, 2013, 05:46:04 PM

As long as Jacksonville keeps winning, I'm all for winning a few.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 16, 2013, 06:14:50 PM

the author of that article can't possibly be a 'true fan'

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 16, 2013, 07:25:17 PM

Well I can tell you that its very likely that not one single player in the Bucs locker room or nor anyone in the coaching staff is thinking about intentionally losing out so they can get Teddy Bridgewater.

You got a lot of people fighting for their jobs this season....Dominik included. No one is going to tank the season.

We are going to win some more games. And I project we will pick in the 6-10 range for the draft. And no, it's not a given that Schiano will be fired. The last two weeks the Bucs have played their best ball all season. If that continues and the team has a strong finish...the Glazers are likely give it one more year.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 16, 2013, 10:20:32 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be better off losing out

Obviously.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 16, 2013, 10:35:32 PM

Well I can tell you that its very likely that not one single player in the Bucs locker room or nor anyone in the coaching staff is thinking about intentionally losing out so they can get Teddy Bridgewater.

You got a lot of people fighting for their jobs this season....Dominik included. No one is going to tank the season.

We are going to win some more games. And I project we will pick in the 6-10 range for the draft. And no, it's not a given that Schiano will be fired. The last two weeks the Bucs have played their best ball all season. If that continues and the team has a strong finish...the Glazers are likely give it one more year.

I believe the jets game might have been, if not for David's "bonehead manuver" in the last seconds.

But that's just nitpicking anyway. I'm sure they'll go back to that crap against Atlanta. We beat the sorry phins and everyone seemingly thinks we're improving.

#wakeupcall. 

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 16, 2013, 10:38:10 PM

Who has said anything about the players tanking the season? I haven't seen that in a single post.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be better off losing out « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools