Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : April 03, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »

My friend's 15-year-old son commented to me last month that his leaning towards
atheism would prevent him from running for president in his lifetime. I told him
that I hope it would change by the time he was old enough to run. He doudted
that.

I removed all references to politics and the running for president questions can
only be viewed at the link...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek

NEWSWEEK Poll: 90% Believe in God

The latest NEWSWEEK poll shows that 91 percent of American adults surveyed believe in God—and nearly half reject the theory of evolution.

WEB EXCLUSIVE

By Brian Braiker

Newsweek

Updated: 12:04 p.m. PT March 31, 2007

March 30, 2007 - A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the poll’s respondents identifying themselves as such. Another 5 percent say they follow a non-Christian faith, such as Judaism or Islam.

Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

Although one in ten (10 percent) of Americans identify themselves as having "no religion," only six percent said they don’t believe in a God at all. Just 3 percent of the public self-identifies as atheist, suggesting that the term may carry some stigma. Still, the poll suggests that the public’s tolerance of this small minority has increased in recent years. Nearly half (47 percent) of the respondents felt the country is more accepting of atheists today that it used to be and slightly more (49 percent) reported personally knowing an atheist. Those numbers are higher among respondents under 30 years old, 62 percent of whom report knowing an atheist (compared to just 43 percent of those 50 and older). Sixty-one percent of the under-30 cohort view society as more accepting of atheists (compared to 40 percent of the Americans 50 and older).

Still, it is unlikely that a XXXXX XXXXX (Joe the censor) would serve him or herself well by declaring their atheism. Six in ten (62 percent) registered XXXXs say they would not vote for a XXXXX who is an atheist.

The res of the article contains too many references to Ds and Rs. So it's off limits!

« #1 : April 03, 2007, 04:16:31 PM »

Seems like some feel it's a one way street, either God or evolution.

klb55

Starter

« #2 : April 03, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »

The kid was most likely correct.  I'm 99% confident that an atheist will not be elected president in his lifetime.  I'm amazed that 9 out of 10 people believe in an invisible person in the sky. 

« #3 : April 03, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »

Well Rome is good for a mass.

« #4 : April 03, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »

It amazes me how some of you can just sit there and think that millions & millions of people around the world are all wrong, and that all of their religious experiences or things that were written are bogus. For that, let's just burn all the history books and all the old diaries & journals ever found and call it all lies and myths.  ::) [banghead]

« #5 : April 03, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »

Wait...so just because a lot of people think it's right then we should go along?

Time to go buy me a slave.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 03, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »

I find those statistics quite incredible and frankly don't believe them. This has all the hallmarks of a study aimed to prove some kind of point and a deeper analysis of either the data or the questions would probably show that the results are probably not as skewed. Either that or the poll was conducted purely in Amish country. I don't suppose you know what the questions were do you?

« #7 : April 03, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

From what I have seen so far in 40 years most people who are atheists or have no faith or belief in God, haven't really been through nothing in their life and have no reason to pray or care about anything more than themselves. Or, they used to believe in God and the power of prayer and something really tragic happened or they maybe lost everything important to them, and then decided to blame it all on God and chose not to believe in him anymore to get back for what has happened to them(which I always find both pathetic and humorous).  

klb55

Starter

« #8 : April 03, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »

It amazes me how some of you can just sit there and think that millions & millions of people around the world are all wrong, and that all of their religious experiences or things that were written are bogus. For that, let's just burn all the history books and all the old diaries & journals ever found and call it all lies and myths.  ::) [banghead]

So which God is real?  There are billions of people who believe in a monotheism.  So, if there is only one god then at a minimum hundreds of millions and probably billions are wrong.  So your argument about because millions believe it must be true just doesn't hold water.

« #9 : April 03, 2007, 05:43:36 PM »

Interesting point Chrispy.   

So how many of the worlds population are Christian?

And how many believe in some other creator or God?

Seems to me there is a hell of a lot of people barking up the wrong tree no matter how you look at it.   ;)

« #10 : April 03, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »

I've lost three relatives to cancer, and another one would've left this being if not for a miracle, none the less I am a deist.

klb55

Starter

« #11 : April 03, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »

Just because mommy and daddy tell you something doesn't make it true.  

« #12 : April 03, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »

Hey no matter what any of us believe in, when your time is up you will be all ALONE and will have to face whatever decision you decided to go with AND........................you better not be wrong(because you won't get a do-over).

« #13 : April 03, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »

Wait, if this God is all forgiving, and you can repent your sins on your death bed and still go to heaven, how do you come to the conclusion you don't get a do-over?

« #14 : April 03, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »

Just because mommy and daddy tell you something doesn't make it true.

I haven't listened to what mommy and daddy have said for about 20+ years, and fully think and function on my own - thank you.   ::)
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsweek Poll: 90% Believe in God - Evolution? Not So Much.. High Five! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools