Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I do not like this. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 25, 2006, 10:44:01 AM

Canada or Mexico would not be terrible, but that trip to Japan did us a world of hurt that year...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 25, 2006, 11:03:22 AM

I would be mad if the bucs ever play out of the country. That would mess up the entire timing of our season. We don't do well in west coast games imagine a game in Europe.

#17 : October 25, 2006, 11:52:07 AM

It will rotate.  So, once every eight years, each team will have an overseas game.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#18 : October 25, 2006, 12:45:05 PM

This is a horrible idea.

#19 : October 25, 2006, 01:15:43 PM

This is a horrible idea.

No it isn't.  It will help to transform the game into a worldwide sport, which it currently is not.

Alot of fans don't like the idea, but for selfish reasons...it will remove one home game for a team, the team might have a disadvantage.  Bottom line: it's good for football.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 25, 2006, 01:22:05 PM

This is a horrible idea.
It will help to transform the game into a worldwide sport, which it currently is not.

No it will not!

All that will happen is Americans based overseas will attended, along with the current followers of the NFL in countries like the UK.  The masses overseas have no interest in US football what so ever, and I doubt playing a few games overseas will make one bit of difference.  Every country already has it's own favorite sports and it is very hard breaking into foreign markets.  Look at Soccer in the US; despite several attempts and millions of dollars, it is still a marginal sport over here.

Dumb idea, with no value IMO.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 25, 2006, 01:24:19 PM

I hate it too.  They can't be fine with having the best sport in North America, they want the world.  Isn't NFLE enough?  They must be trying to find away to drive the NFL into the ground like the NBA and MLB.

coopsxx

Starter
#22 : October 25, 2006, 01:34:45 PM

http://www.profootballtalk.com/WeekSevenTenPack.htm

4.  Solving The Foreign Soil Dilemma.

The NFL decided on Tuesday to play more games in other countries.  Charley Casserly of The NFL Today on CBS did a nice job of identifying the issues that arise when an NFL team is faced with the prospects of giving up a home game for foreign soil.

For some teams, their leases might prevent them from doing so.  For every team, the loss of 1/8th of the regular season home schedule will result in a broad collateral impact on the local economy, with less money spent on hotels and restaurants and bars and parking lots and massage parlors (when Michael Irvin is in town).

On Sunday afternoon, the solution came to us.  It's simple.  It's easy.  It's far too basic to even be considered brilliant.

Make forfeiting a home game a mandatory requirement for hosting the Super Bowl.

It's perfect.  And it helps to remove the inequity that results from the fact that most cities will never receive serious consideration for an opportunity to host the game.

To the extent that a city loses a regular season game to London or Berlin or Beijing or Baghdad, the fact that the city hosts a Super Bowl in the same year should help to make up for it.  A little.

Would such a proposal get enough votes from the owners?  Considering that most of them are in cities that would never host a Super Bowl (and that would happily give up a home game for the ability to do so), we think the answer is "hell, yes."

So what if, you ask, there will be two games per year out of the country?  Require any team that wants to host a Super Bowl to give up a home game in the year it hosts the Super Bowl, and in the year after.

Given the millions of dollars that flow into a town that hosts the Super Bowl, they'll be lining up to give up regular-season games if it means scoring a Super Bowl.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 25, 2006, 03:11:10 PM

Talk about a way to blackmail owners. The only way you can host a SB is if you give up a home game. This will piss off the fans more. So what will this mean for season ticket holders? Will the owners actually reduce how much they cost so the fans are only paying for 9 games or will the just screw us fans over. I will wait and see.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 25, 2006, 03:16:27 PM

so Florida really gets screwed with 3 of the best SB locations in the league.  Kinda held hostage there ain't we? FU NFL.

jandjen

Starter
#25 : October 25, 2006, 03:23:08 PM

not to bad if they travel overseas the week before the bye.

#26 : October 25, 2006, 03:30:25 PM

No it will not!

All that will happen is Americans based overseas will attended, along with the current followers of the NFL in countries like the UK.  The masses overseas have no interest in US football what so ever, and I doubt playing a few games overseas will make one bit of difference.  Every country already has it's own favorite sports and it is very hard breaking into foreign markets.  Look at Soccer in the US; despite several attempts and millions of dollars, it is still a marginal sport over here.

Dumb idea, with no value IMO.

I simply disagree.  The fact is that 200 hundred years ago, the only "major" sport that was popular and is still popular is/was soccer.  Basketball has exploded worldwide.  Baseball has as well.  Why not football?

From the perspective of the owners, a move on the foreign markets HAS to be made.  So, the question is not "Do you like the idea of pursuing these markets?"...it's "Do you have a better idea than this one?"

I, for one, do think that this is the best idea I've heard so far.  It's creating events overseas around the NFL, which is a great idea.

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

#27 : October 25, 2006, 03:53:24 PM

Having lived in a few cities in Europe I can gurantee that the fan interest in having an NFL game is very small. The only way to watch a game there is through satellite.  The networks over there will show edited games in the middle of night, rarely. The Super Bowl is the only live game and not many people watch that because it starts at midnight or one in the morning depending on where you live in Europe.

Most Europeans don't watch American football period.  Americans living abroad get together at select bars and watch the games that Sky sports shows. The NFL Europe games don't draw well that is why some of those teams were contracted. My friends in the UK went to an NFL Europe game and said that it was too slow with all the breaks for commercials. They didn't go to anymore. They are more used to soccer where the game only stops at halftime. There is no Michael Jordan that is an international draw. Baseball grew in Latin America and Japan due to Americas influence in their culture. The Europeans don't give a rip about baseball or football.

I enjoyed living in Europe. But I love America. A great thing about our country is we have our own sports. The NFL is overflowing with money. Why mess with it? Taking a home game away only angers those fans. Watch the Bucs will be one of the first teams to get screwed because of the Glazers and Manchester United.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 25, 2006, 04:00:11 PM

My friends in the UK went to an NFL Europe game and said that it was too slow with all the breaks for commercials. They didn't go to anymore.

I have taken Brits to Ray-J and that was one of their main complaints.  If you are not into the NFL sitting there for four hours to watch 10 minutes actual play is rather irritating.  Sports in the US are TV friendly, lots of breaks and time outs for adverts.

I enjoyed living in Europe. But I love America. A great thing about our country is we have our own sports.

I wouldn’t say having your own sports is a great thing, if anything it is a weakness.  The sports in the US are good but being in isolation is not a good thing IMO.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#29 : October 25, 2006, 05:42:00 PM

Watch the Bucs will be one of the first teams to get screwed because of the Glazers and Manchester United.

If the Bucs ever had to play a game in England they'd probably get a whole lot of hell because of the Glazers. I hope they never have to go there...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I do not like this. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools