Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Am I the only one who thinks Eli is WAY overrated « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

coopsxx

Starter
: October 25, 2006, 12:21:05 PM

He's a decent QB but nothing special.

The main gripe I have is that he throws way too many interceptions, 8 so far, atleast one in everygame but one. In the game's I have seen he seems to simply throw it up and rely on Burress / Shockey / Toomer, making a play. He has no mobility as we know, and is blanketed by good receivers, backs and a solid line.

The bucs are generally good on the deep ball, which is what Manning looks for everytime, regardless of coverage and so this part of the Giants is not a worry for me.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 25, 2006, 12:25:55 PM

Eli is not an accurate passer but is mobile.  He is almost a different type of QB when compared to Peyton.  Eli though is a clutch player as he has proven he can drive his team downfield for a win.

I do not think he is overrated but I do think he has a tendency to play more like a gunslinger than an efficient QB play like his brother Peyton.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 25, 2006, 12:35:29 PM

He's still a feaking kid, but he has a 90+ passer rating. He'll be a stud in this league.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Eli10

Second String

#3 : October 25, 2006, 12:43:47 PM

Eli is not an accurate passer but is mobile. He is almost a different type of QB when compared to Peyton. Eli though is a clutch player as he has proven he can drive his team downfield for a win.

I do not think he is overrated but I do think he has a tendency to play more like a gunslinger than an efficient QB play like his brother Peyton.

This is the best post all day. Good points. Eli is a little more accurate than people give him credit for. he was 12-26 against Dallas but had a completion % of 66% coming in. But you are correct. he does become gunsliger-esque but he is clutch and has played very well this year. of his 8 INTs, three were tipped by his own teammate where Eli hit him between the numbers (see Tiki vs. Philly and Plaxico (twice) vs. Seattle.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 25, 2006, 12:54:21 PM

Eli is not an accurate passer but is mobile. He is almost a different type of QB when compared to Peyton. Eli though is a clutch player as he has proven he can drive his team downfield for a win.

This is the best post all day. Good points. Eli is a little more accurate than people give him credit for. he was 12-26 against Dallas but had a completion % of 66% coming in. But you are correct. he does become gunsliger-esque but he is clutch and has played very well this year. of his 8 INTs, three were tipped by his own teammate where Eli hit him between the numbers (see Tiki vs. Philly and Plaxico (twice) vs. Seattle.

Someone teach the troll how to use the quote button.

Eli10

Second String

#5 : October 25, 2006, 12:59:40 PM

Leeroy - you would but you're probably trying to get a job so I'll ask someone else.

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : October 25, 2006, 01:05:16 PM

Thats the problem, gunslinger's dont do well in the playoffs. Throwing INT's as McNabb showed us, you need a 2:! TD:INT ratio, which Eli has for the season 13/8 (more or less,) which is why it appears he is having a good season, but in indivisual games, it can kill the team. I would rather have a 1 TD/ 0 INT performance from Gradkowski. 

I know your all gonna point to Favre, but he has only won 1 superbowl on a team much better than the Giants, with a better coach, and frankly a better QB at the time.

I dont agree that he is mobile, i think Payton is very underated in that department. I dunno if he is even that much of a leader in the traditional sense, he is more of a "I'll keep quiet do my job as best I can and it's your responsiblity to do your." Though he is very resilient and I have to applaud his ability to put mistakes behind him and compete to the end. Obviously the Philly game is the prime example but even after playing horribly against Seattle he came back and put some points on the board.

PS. Eli10, glad u came on board, and it appears  so far, ur not an ass like most trolls usually are, always good to talk football and get perception from a different point of view.

Eli10

Second String

#7 : October 25, 2006, 01:08:50 PM

Thank you Coopsxx - I appreciate that. and again, you guys make some great points abuot Eli. You are dead right that gunslingers (minsu Favre) haven't historically done well.  Eli does do a nice job of managing a game. I think he's prety cerebral like Simms was last year. Won't wow you with stats but just seems to get the job done. Now I agree that he has a tremendous cast around him. And I think that helps his development, but I think as time goes on, you'll see a more confident and effective pocket passer who makes better decisions

#8 : October 25, 2006, 01:11:39 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Eli is WAY overrated

Yes.

Well, probably not the only one, but you won't get agreement from me.

#9 : October 25, 2006, 01:13:19 PM

I actually think that Eli is less of a gunslinger than Payton was at this stage of his career.  Look at Payton's numbers.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 25, 2006, 01:18:48 PM

Leeroy - you would but you're probably trying to get a job so I'll ask someone else.

Haha!  Fair enough.  I had to get one shot in before I actually discussed football with you.  Board rules, you know!

I think Eli is pretty damned good myself.  He gets a lot of flack for inconsistency, but look around him.  2 of his 3 main weapons are known for their inconsistency.  Burress and Shockey have been dogged by it their whole careers.  Both are capable of making plays that few other people are, but both of them are also capable of drops and mental errors on a scale that's pretty high for the NFL.  I've seen Shockey drop a few wide open TD's in my time and I've seen Burress sulk and pout and give up on plays.  

Obviously Eli's not perfect, but he's a lot better than most people in their 3rd seasons.  I know I'd take him over Rivers and Roethlisberger right now.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 25, 2006, 01:20:04 PM

i was predicting he'd be a bust, but he's proven me wrong and then some....the kid is a gamer, a leader, and a winner, and will continue to get better throwing the ball....his improvements in accuracy since last year, especially the deep ball, is close to stunning, and he'll be a force with the likes of shockey and burress to throw to.

that said, he's still not his brother, and as a D you can scheme into forcing mistakes from him....hope we manage it like we did with mcnabb.

coopsxx

Starter
#12 : October 25, 2006, 01:27:24 PM

his bro is the best i have ever seen. he's a machine.

But he will develop and get better, he is only about 25. He has balls though LOTS more pressure than normal (family success / NY / draft controversy / **CENSORED**s on his team.) I guess its just everything about him that get's him more publicity, and maybe i expect more because of that. If he pulled back the INT's he would become a pro-bowler, I dont think he is there yet.

I like Roth more in college, he looked the real-deal, offcourse he was playing inferior competitions, he could actually run in college too. Not seen enough of Rivers, he was a winner though in college. He's beter than Losman, who i still think will become decent eventually.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 25, 2006, 01:30:58 PM

your not alone.  I'm not sold on him either, but he does have a good recipe for success [well this year at least].  They have a great running game and they have quick WR's that know how to adjust to a long ball and go up and get it. I think they call it "ballen".  His passes aren't that accurate - and I've laughed many times as I've watched him close his eyes when throwing the ball deep and hard - he just gets it to a spot and the WR's get it.

Eli10

Second String

#14 : October 25, 2006, 01:32:36 PM

Leeroy - no harm done. I just thought I had to throwback a bit there :-)  glad you guys take these thigns less serious. OUr message boards always get crowded with people trying to make points that are usually completly invalid and piss everyone off. I like you guys.  Good football people who know the game. Mind if I hang out in your 'hood the rest of the season?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Am I the only one who thinks Eli is WAY overrated « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools