Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Real Deal about Kelly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

: October 26, 2006, 08:10:07 PM

I do not believe Kelly will be dealt, I think he'll see out his contract, and then some team will give him that last payday, but hopefully Alan Zemaitis continues to develop because God knows Juran Bolden isn't the answer.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 25, 2006, 07:23:05 PM

The question that needs to be answered is what will we get for trading Kelly?  Probably another draft pick.   The Bucs are looking to rebuild the defense anyway.  Kelly has played his last game as a Buc.

First, Kelly still has the contract issues.  He still has two years and Allen absolutely won't redo his contract until there is only one year left. Thats Allen's policy and thats that.   Kelly going on IR will only serve to reinforce that a career doesn't last forever.  He will demand a trade and get it.

The Bucs for their part have been rumored to be unhappy that Kelly wouldn't try harder to play hurt.  They could think that Kelly may not want to play hurt partially because his contract isn't what he would like.  All the more reason to think that Kelly will be traded in the offseason, rather than go through a McCardell-style soap opera next training camp.

Another team would be very willing to deal for Kelly. He would demand a new deal, but most teams will have plenty of cap room and his deal could easily be redone.

So the question is what draft pick will we get for Kelly?  That question of course won't be answered until the offseason. I will venture to say he is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder. 

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 25, 2006, 07:25:12 PM

I'd say a 2nd round pick but IMVHO don't think the Bucs will deal him.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#3 : October 25, 2006, 11:36:45 PM

wow, very detailed & informative! Are you  doctor?

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#4 : October 25, 2006, 07:34:25 PM

Well, if we get a second round pick for him, we will be looking at 5 picks on the first day.  That would make for a great draft, even if one of the guys was a bust.

TBBuccaneers24RB

Practice Squad

#5 : October 25, 2006, 07:36:23 PM

Yea that much draft picks in one day would make for a good draft.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 25, 2006, 07:45:13 PM

Kelly has played through an injury before heading to the IR so I highly doubt he was holding back.  He was on the field playing against the Saints so I can say he did  try.  With that said for Kelly to stay many things have to happen.  First he has to show he can come back at least 80%.  Anything less and he is not worth his current price tag.

If he complains about a contract extension (especially with his injury) he will most likely be traded.  Depending how healthy he is I see the Bucs obtaining at least a 3rd/4th round pick for him if it came down to it.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 25, 2006, 07:47:01 PM

I think he will be worth a 3rd because there are a number of teams out there who will want an experienced, dependable and affordable defensive back (is what I meant).  The success of Dexter Jackson only makes Kelly more valuable.   But I'm not sure we will get a 2nd because he is coming off an injury and this isn't the first time.

As for him not wanting to play hurt that is certainly only speculation that I heard.  I can't even remember where. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 25, 2006, 07:48:15 PM

I think he will be worth a 3rd because there are a number of teams out there who will want an experienced, dependable and affordable safety.  The success of Dexter Jackson only makes Kelly more valuable.   But I'm not sure we will get a 2nd because he is coming off an injury and this isn't the first time.

You expect a team to trade for him and turn him into a safety?

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 25, 2006, 07:51:14 PM

My mistake but still the point is the same.  The fact that a Bucs DB is not just a "system" player and can have success on other teams.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 25, 2006, 07:54:28 PM

My mistake but still the point is the same.  The fact that a Bucs DB is not just a "system" player and can have success on other teams.

What seperated Kelly from typical Bucs DB's or any other DB's that fit this scheme was his straightline speed.  His turf toe injury has practically taken away one of his strengths in his game and I do not see him being an effective man to man corner anymore.  He can still excell in zone coverage for a few more years but if that turf toe keeps him sidelined he may not be able to be an effective zone corner either.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 25, 2006, 07:54:35 PM

I think he will be worth a 3rd because there are a number of teams out there who will want an experienced, dependable and affordable safety. The success of Dexter Jackson only makes Kelly more valuable. But I'm not sure we will get a 2nd because he is coming off an injury and this isn't the first time.

You expect a team to trade for him and turn him into a safety?
I think what he meant was that most of our DBs have been labeled as "system guys" and DJax made that notion look stupid.  Our guys can succeed in other systems so Kellys value isnt strictly limited to a team that plays our style of defense.  Kelly has long been reguarded as our best pure cover guy, so he fits into almost any system in the league.  I think any team looking for a corner with the qualitys Itch mentioned would or could be interested in dealing for Brian.  With that said, hes probably worth a late 3rd round pick or early 4th.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 26, 2006, 06:08:00 PM

You guys act like the Bucs have never signed a player to an extension. Wich is bassicly what he asking for.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 25, 2006, 08:00:46 PM

While I see what you're getting at InChuckyItrust, don't confuse a safety with a system corner. Safeties are a different animal, and a good safety can be a good safety in a different scheme.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 25, 2006, 08:01:44 PM

Dexter is a system guy.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Real Deal about Kelly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools