Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Orange & Blue Game « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

: April 14, 2007, 05:20:40 PM

Wow... about 50,000 people showed up to watch this scrimmage game. It was pretty impressive to see. Nice ring ceremony for a few representatives of the 2006 champ team. Here's a few things that stood out.

* The people that are out there saying Tebow's arm is a weak spot have been silenced IMO. Tebow looked great and pretty much put the ball wherever he wanted.

* Cam Newton, the much hyped freshman QB showed that he's got a lot to learn. He was shaky makin decisions and when he did his passes were way off. However, he's a huge QB. Gonna be another tough one to take down on goalline situations

*Freshman TE Aaron Hernandez has GREAT hands. He's gonna be a huge receiving threat over the next few years.

*RB Chevon Walker looked really really good. He was patient, hit his holes quick and would not go down after contact, just kept pushin forward

*WR's Caldwell and Murphy look to be the go to guys when the season starts. Caldwell showed damn good field awareness and Murphy was just a stud today. Him and Tebow hooked up quite a few times and it usually involved Tebow puttin the ball up high and lettin Murphy go up and get it, which he did very well. Didn't see much from Harvin but I'm sure we'll see plenty when the season starts.

*LB Brandon Spikes is gonna be a force on defense. He may be the only force, but he's a damn good one. Very disruptive on passing plays.

*The kicking game is obviously being worked on heavily after the disasters last year. They were exercising two kickers mostly, Phillips and Ijjas. Phillips is the more accurate of the two... in the midrange and short range... however Ijjas has a MONSTER leg! Phillips nailed quite a few kicks from the 40 yard range and one from 50. Ijjas showed him up by nailing one from 60 yards.... obviously the gator fans were pleased to see a weakness turning into a strength.

All in all, they looked pretty good out there. IMO, it looks like a team that is going to be a complete opposite of the team last year. They are gonna be a team that scores a lot more points and lets opponents score more often.

PREGAME TRASH TALKIN'

MR.2-BITS

THIS PASS WAS PRETTY AMAZING... THREW IT WHILE RUNNING BACKWARDS... NAILED MURPHY DOWN THE FIELD WITH A DEFENDER RUNNING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

CAM NEWTON, FRESHMAN QB.

IJJAS' 60 YARDER.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#1 : April 14, 2007, 05:32:21 PM

Cam looked lost the first half, but was very impressive in the 2nd half.  He settled in nicely.  Finished 20-30 275 yards, 1 TD 0 INT.  He looks like a young Vince Young IMO.

Tebow was 17-27 216 3 TD 0 INT.

Harvin didn't really play at all (I think a series or 2), which was by design.  They don't need to see what he can do, they already know.  This was a time to see what the less experienced guys could do.  Harvin is still going to be the man with Caldwell, although Murphy showed he can be a valuable guy as well.

Chev Walker looked OUTSTANDING.  He looks to have the lead now at RB, as James struggled mightily and went down as soon as he was touched.

The 2nd team OL was very very good, which is encouraging because we know that the 1st team is good.  If someone should go down we have very capable guys to come in.  The next several years our fronts are going to be great.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#2 : April 14, 2007, 05:34:19 PM

Oh, and AJ Jones is also going to be a very good LB.  He is FAST!

The offense is going to be very potent next year, and success is going to depend on how fast our young defense can mature.  We can probably outscore some teams but the defense is going to have to gel quick or we are going to have a couple stumbles. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : April 14, 2007, 06:13:16 PM

Here's the article just up on Gator Country:
http://gatorcountry.com/football/article/tebow_murphy_lead_blue_to_27_20_win_over_orange/

A sun-splashed crowd of 47,500 gathered in the “The Swamp” for a glimpse of the 2007 defending national champion Florida football team. Quarterback Tim Tebow led the Blue squad to a 27-21 victory over the Orange.

Tebow completed 17 of 27 passes for 216 yards and three touchdowns. The
sophomore seemingly made all of the correct reads and ran the the Florida
offense as sound as you’d expect for a young player with only a spring
under his belt as the starter.

“I am very pleased with that scrimmage,” Meyer said. “I was very pleased
with the way Tim Tebow managed the offense...Just the way he’s thrown the
short ball has been veryn impressive and the way that he gets the ball
out. His last week and a half were tremendous. He’s ready to go. Tim Tebow
is ready to go play quarterback for Florida.”

He also ran for 41 yards on just eight carries. Tebow worked behind an
offensive line that consisted predominantly of second teamers, including
Jim Barrie, Corey Hobbs, Kyle Newell, Brad Hiers, and the Pouncey twins.

Junior wide receiver Louis Murphy was Tebow’s favorite target. Murphy
hauled in eight passes for 129 yards. Perhaps most impressive was Murphy’s
concentration on the task at hand. He caught two passes down the sidelines
with a cornerback in good position. However, Murphy took possession of the
football and made the big catch.

“Louis Murphy earned a spot as a starting wide receiver at Florida,” Meyer
stated. “I thought that he had a heck of a day and a heck of a spring.
He’s been battling injuries and he’s really grown up. I’m very proud of
him.”

The Blue also churned up 139 yards on the ground. They were led by
sophomore reserve running back Chevon Walker who finished as the leading
rusher in the game with 74 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown.

The Orange struggled throughout the first half. In fact, they trailed 27-0
at the intermission.

Sophomore Jarred Fayson caught Meyer’s eye as a playmaker. Fayson hauled
in five passes for 75 yards. He also had one carry for two yards, but that
play could just as easily been for a loss.

“I think Jarred Fayson has also earned a spot as a starting wide
receiver.,” Meyer said in his post game press conference. “He’s going to
be a slash utility player for us, running the ball as well.”

True freshman Cameron Newton did not fare well at all in the first half
completing just 7 of 13 passes for 78 yards. With some adjustments
courtesy of the coaching staff, Newton hit 13 of 17 for 197 yards and a
touchdown in the second half.

“I was very disappointed in Cameron Newton in the first half,” Meyer
added. “However, second half (improved). That’s the first time in front of
that kind of crowd. That’s where we’ve got an advantage getting these
young players ready to play in front of these kind of crowds in the SEC
and what they’re going to be exposed to. I think having that opportunity
is invaluable. That’s why we kept it going with Cameron. You can’t
simulate that and we obviously don’t want him to play like in the first
game when he plays.”

Junior David Nelson led the Orange with eight receptions for 90 yards.
Redshirt freshman Justin Williams had four catches for 55 yards.

Sophomore running back Brandon James found little in the way of running
room against the (Orange ) first team defensive front seven. He had nine
carries for just 15 yards and a score. He caught two passes for 46 yards,
including a spectacular 39 yard catch and run for his second score with
James finishing by taking off his helmet and bowing to the crowd in the
North End Zone.

The Florida Sports Information department said that tickets were still
being sold well after the start of the contest in part because of a deadly
accident on I-75.

We’ll have a much more on the Orange and Blue Game throughout the weekend.

#4 : April 14, 2007, 06:33:12 PM

Sun splashed is so overused. Why not "The ultra-violent ray exposed"? Where is the creativity nowadays in sports journalism? Anyhow, I was going to head up to the Gold and Garnet game with a few friends but I didn't want to head up last night.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#5 : April 14, 2007, 07:10:57 PM

The funny thing is we drew more for the O&B Game than Miami does for many home games!

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 14, 2007, 08:15:21 PM

gotta say, i can see the gators goin 11-1 or 10-2 this year. based on what i've seen and heard about this team this year and lookin at the schedule... they're gonna be a top team this year. but like ya said, how quick that defense gels will be the key to it all.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#7 : April 14, 2007, 08:35:47 PM

For those who thought Tebow was overrated &  couldn't pass---hahahahahahaha!!!!

#8 : April 14, 2007, 08:38:32 PM

For those who thought Tebow was overrated & couldn't pass---hahahahahahaha!!!!
Spring games definately indicate future success. Did you know that every team that played today won?

matt

Starter

#9 : April 14, 2007, 09:06:27 PM

That's an impressive turnout for a spring game, especially since it appears you had to buy tickets.

Florida should definitely be a top 5 preseason pick. With Urban Meyer as coach, you guys will always be strong. It will be interesting to see if Tebow and Cam Newton split playing time this year. It sounds like you are in a similar position that Michigan is: having an explosive offense but a questionable defense. Defense wins championships, so if either team plans on making a BCS title game appearance, their defenses will need to gel and NOT be a weakness.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#10 : April 14, 2007, 09:11:17 PM

UF also has John Brantley, qb, Scott Brantley's nephew.

#11 : April 14, 2007, 09:11:51 PM

Good ol' Scot.

DrewDaGreat

Practice Squad

#12 : April 15, 2007, 12:38:11 AM

Florida will have a pretty good team, but 10-2 or 11-1 might be stretching it in the SEC. They lost most of that front 7 and their 2 playmakers in the secondary.

The garnet and gold game was today and it seems like neither Lee or Weatherford wants to win the position... The defense was very good(but they always are).

Even with the QBs not playing up to par there are still two things that make me think the offense will be better this season.
1. Antone Smith is the man.
2. The line doesn't look great, but boy does it look better.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 15, 2007, 08:47:34 AM

Took the grandson, and actually got to sit under the shade of the north endzone, thank heaven!  Gary loved every minute of it, and we talked to lots of people who encouraged Gary to continue to make the honor roll so he can enter UF from high school.  He's almost 10, but you can't start this procedure early enough!   :D

Tickets were free for students and alumni, and only $5 for others.  We went to Burrito Brothers after the game...it was packed, as was all of University Ave.  It actually took us 4 hours from Tampa.  I'm not sure there was anybody in the state of Ohio or Michigan left, as they were all on I-75 heading north.   :-

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

#14 : April 15, 2007, 12:29:18 PM

Meh I know people who have honor rolled for life and didn't get into UF, they've really become very strict in acceptence since last year.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Orange & Blue Game « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools