Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
: October 29, 2006, 08:18:57 AM

Not only is Tyler's stock is rising but Pit**CENSORED** and Gaines are the rising as well.  Defensive players tend to be ranked low before the start of the college season but by the end they start to rise.  By draft time a lot of defensive players will rise.

yeah i agreee.  I expect both Pit**CENSORED** and Gaines to be top 5 guys [or pretty darn close].  I think most of the high powered offensive players have either gotten hurt or just haven't displayed the talent that they showed glimpses of last year.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 26, 2006, 05:00:58 PM

Hovan has been getting blown off the ball a lot. As for not starting a defensive player since Sapp...when was the last time the Bucs went D with their top pick? Ruud and White have been their only defensive picks (both second rounders) in the rounds 1 and 2 since McFarland in 99. You can't say the Bucs usually don't start defensive rookies because we haven't taken anyone in the first round in 7 years and the last guy who was taken did end up starting fairly quickly.

Looking back, since 1997, the Bucs have drafted only 3 players (McFarland, Ruud, and White) in rounds one and two. It's about time we start spending a few picks there. I am ok if the Bucs want to spend one of their second rounders on a WR or a C or something, but most of our picks on day one need to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

#2 : October 26, 2006, 04:23:58 PM

All Ginn can do is run fly routes. Calvin Johnson, on the other hand, is a gamebreaker who would be a nice pick in R1.

gone

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 26, 2006, 04:41:04 PM

Take a DT before a DE unless the talent isn't there.  High center if you aren't getting one in FA.
Unless htere's a stand out talent at top 10 I don't see us drafting D first round.  We almost NEVER put a rookie in on D, it would have to be a Sapp-like talent.  Otherwise they'd sit at least a year, and you can get close to rd 1 value in a high second.  I'd think we would be more likely to get our standout D in FA somehow.
Disagree about Hovan, he gave Booger opportunities that McLazy never leveraged.  I wouldn't consider him someone we needed to replace in the short-term.

simms22

Second String

#4 : October 26, 2006, 08:14:53 PM

what about the fullback from rutgers? the mike alstott looking guy? i say if he is availabe in rounds 4 or 5 we takem

Brian Leonard? He is rated by most as an early 2nd rounder.

Which would make him a real steal in round 4 or 5 LOL.  Sorry couldn't help myself.

The bucs have a lot of picks to make before making an offensive choice.  But just as interesting will be FA this offseason.
I agree, we have much more pressing needs then FB. If we spent a 2nd or 3rd on a FB instead of a potential defensive starter i would go insane.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 26, 2006, 07:08:10 PM

I think the Bucs will draft Ted Ginn.   He will then return a kickoff for a TD in his first game and continue on to break the all time NFL record for kickoff returns for TD's.   It's karma.   History has been preparing us for this for 30 years.

LOL  ;D

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 26, 2006, 07:02:24 PM

I think the Bucs will draft Ted Ginn.   He will then return a kickoff for a TD in his first game and continue on to break the all time NFL record for kickoff returns for TD's.   It's karma.   History has been preparing us for this for 30 years.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 26, 2006, 06:56:14 PM

I'm not sure the top two DTs really fit the Bucs for a first round pick.  Pit**CENSORED** is not mobile enough, and Thomas has issues. The Bucs don't use a mid to high first rounder on a guy with issues. This DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler from NC State sounds like he could fit the Bucs needs. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 26, 2006, 06:58:58 PM

what about the fullback from rutgers? the mike alstott looking guy? i say if he is availabe in rounds 4 or 5 we takem

Brian Leonard? He is rated by most as an early 2nd rounder.

Which would make him a real steal in round 4 or 5 LOL.  Sorry couldn't help myself.

The bucs have a lot of picks to make before making an offensive choice.  But just as interesting will be FA this offseason.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#9 : October 26, 2006, 06:26:33 PM

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#10 : October 26, 2006, 06:22:46 PM

I agree that we desperately need to upgrade the line with FA and Draft picks . we will be a major player in FA this year and tough to predict draft picks until we see who will be avail either as UFA or salary cap casualty.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 26, 2006, 01:21:12 AM

I was reading up some stuff on ESPN.com and came accross Kiper's Big Board. I know it's still really early, but 17 of his top 25 are defensive players. This looks to be a pretty good draft on the defensive side of the ball. If the Bucs play their cards right, they should be able to get a nice influx of young talent on their D.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 26, 2006, 01:41:32 AM

Lord knows they need it.

No offense to DB, but his time is coming to an end.

He made one great play this year that got erased by a stupid stupid call by a blind assuming ref.

But his playmaking days are long gone, I am afraid. 

Man I miss the old DB who made an impact.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#13 : October 26, 2006, 02:10:42 AM

i think as far as safeties go, we need to get LaRon Landry, but i would prefer Eric weddle

we need a OLB also, actually we could use a player at almost any position on D

i kinda want the bucs to pick up a RB in the later rounds, hopefully somebody that can be an effective 1-2 punch with caddy or something

T

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 26, 2006, 05:45:43 PM

Name any spot on Defense and we could use a player there. Also need to look at another WR and OL depth

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools