Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Huey Freeman

Starter
#15 : October 26, 2006, 05:08:16 AM

I would like to start the official Jon Beason Bucs Fan Club. 

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 26, 2006, 07:20:14 AM

I would draft heavely on the defensive line & linebackers and only one offensive pick, a mauling center to finish the o-line

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

#17 : October 26, 2006, 08:52:44 AM

If we are able to trade Simeon for a 2nd rounder, we would have 5 first-day picks.  After this year, the draft coupled with free agency, we COULd have a young, upcoming Defense to go with our developing Offense.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 26, 2006, 08:57:24 AM

Man if we could dump Rice and Kelly, pick up Clements or whoever you choose to play the other side at CB, that would give us 4 picks IMHO in the 1st 2 rounds and that is counting Kelly as a 3rd rounder, which I think we could potentially get a 2nd. Say kelly is a 3rd rounder in a trade, that gives us 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and potientally upgrading kellys spot..........DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baghead #2

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 26, 2006, 10:46:35 AM

I agree. I think Rice could easily be traded in the offseason for a second round pick. Rice is still considered by many (not me) to be an elite pass rusher. He's also a former first round pick. Kelly on the other hand was only a second round pick by the Bucs and has (as far as I can remember) never made the Pro Bowl. Kelly also has his toe injury and some teams might be scared to trade for a CB that has that type of potentially career threatening injury. I think we will get no higher than a 3rd round pick for Kelly, but it would be more likely a 4th rounder.

I like Kelly and think he's a good DB, but he isn't reliable due to his injury, and Rice has not done jack all year. I really think the Bucs could spend a high first round pick on a DE and get someone that could step in and be a force in Rice's place. If we can get a 3rd round pick for Kelly and a 2nd round pick for Rice, that would give the Bucs 1 top 10 first round pick, 3 second round picks, and 2 third round picks.

The Bucs could then address every need with a high pick. The Bucs would need at least 1 DT (replace Hovan, I can live with Wyms), 1 DE (replace Rice, I can live with Spires/White), 1 OLB (to replace Nece and eventually take over for Brooks, we also have Winborn), at least 1 S (Phillips must go, Allen is young and in his first year starting, I give him one more year to develop), 1 CB (to eventually replace Kelly and hopefully team with Zemaitis for years to come), and finally 1 C (to groom to take over for Wade, God knows we don't want Mahan in there).

So that's 1 DT, 1 DE, 1 OLB, 1 S, 1 CB, and 1 C in the first 3 rounds, leaving the Bucs with 1 pick in rounds 4, 5 and 7. With those picks, you could draft a LG (insurance for Buenning), a FB (probably Mike's last year), and one more person to add depth (that last pick probably won't make the team anyway).

I would love to see us go:

1st Round: DE (probaly a top 10 pick)
2nd: S (top 10 in 2nd)
2nd: DT
2nd: CB/OLB
3rd: CB/OLB (top 10 in 3rd...take the opposite of what you took in the 2nd round)
3rd: C

With those picks and the ones we have later, we could easily rebuild our D and add a lot of youth in general. It might take a year to get them ready, but it would be great to add that kind of young, talented depth. Also, with all the money we have in free agency, some of these positions can be filled that way. I could see the Bucs sign a C and a S in the offseason. That would allow them to use their other picks elsewhere. One thing is for sure...this is going to be one of the funnest offseasons to watch in Bucs history.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 26, 2006, 11:35:51 AM

I like it Kodiak, let's hope it comes true. And with probably $30 to $40 million in available cap space, some short term free agents can be brought in to plug any leaks.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 26, 2006, 12:38:37 PM

I know we are all worried about the defense, and I believe we should draft heavily in that area, but don't forget that our offense is also terrible and is built around a 34 year old WR. 

We are weak on both sides of the ball and will take the best player available on every pick.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 26, 2006, 06:32:58 PM

what about the fullback from rutgers? the mike alstott looking guy? i say if he is availabe in rounds 4 or 5 we takem

Brian Leonard?  He is rated by most as an early 2nd rounder.

#23 : October 26, 2006, 01:46:50 PM

I know we are all worried about the defense, and I believe we should draft heavily in that area, but don't forget that our offense is also terrible and is built around a 34 year old WR. 

We are weak on both sides of the ball and will take the best player available on every pick.

Yes, but the offense is YOUNG, whiel the defense is OLD.  I agree we need a big-play WR, though.  A speedster.

BayDay39

Second String

#24 : October 26, 2006, 01:52:43 PM

Yes, but the offense is YOUNG, whiel the defense is OLD. I agree we need a big-play WR, though. A speedster.

Ted Ginn Jr anyone?.... he can return punts and provide the deep threat. Do any of yall know how his route running skills are?

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 26, 2006, 02:56:39 PM

Yes, but the offense is YOUNG, whiel the defense is OLD. I agree we need a big-play WR, though. A speedster.

Ted Ginn Jr anyone?.... he can return punts and provide the deep threat. Do any of yall know how his route running skills are?

Calvin Johnson could prove to be too tempting for Gruden.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

#26 : October 26, 2006, 04:15:58 PM

I would like next years draft class start
1st:  Meriweather S (Miami)
2nd: Marcus Thomas DTor Joe Cohen DE (Florida)
2nd:  Leroy Harris C (NC State)

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#27 : October 27, 2006, 12:19:18 AM

I would like to start the official Jon Beason Bucs Fan Club. 

Too late. ;D

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#28 : October 27, 2006, 12:20:06 AM

Hovan has been getting blown off the ball a lot. As for not starting a defensive player since Sapp...when was the last time the Bucs went D with their top pick? Ruud and White have been their only defensive picks (both second rounders) in the rounds 1 and 2 since McFarland in 99. You can't say the Bucs usually don't start defensive rookies because we haven't taken anyone in the first round in 7 years and the last guy who was taken did end up starting fairly quickly.

Looking back, since 1997, the Bucs have drafted only 3 players (McFarland, Ruud, and White) in rounds one and two. It's about time we start spending a few picks there. I am ok if the Bucs want to spend one of their second rounders on a WR or a C or something, but most of our picks on day one need to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Agreed, I've spent most of the past few weeks spitting out stat after stat on our recent drafting tendencies and how we've neglected the D. But for some reason, people still want to go offense with a LT, WR, QB, even center. I can't help but wonder how many accounts Jon Gruden has on here.....;)

Caradoc, if your logic is that we shouldn't draft a defensive player because we almost never play them immediately, then why would we ever take a defensive player in the first? That way of thinking just doesn't add up. Plus, say we were to draft a Laron Landry, he'd start immediately no questions asked.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 27, 2006, 01:51:51 AM

I think the only way we go offensive with that first pick is if Gradkowski really struggles and the Bucs are forced to draft their QB of the future. Other than that, unless someone like Gin or someone else just jumps out at them as a must, I really think they will go D. Even if someone like Gin were there, we have much bigger needs on D.

I think if our D plays well and once our O-line is up to speed and we have a good running game and the QB play comes around, our receivers are going to look that much better. Yes, I'd love to have one more big time player out there, but I'd rather have a stud defensive player.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools