Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are there people who still think we need a LT in the draft?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 28, 2006, 11:13:58 PM

NO MORE OLINE! I'm sick of us drafting O-lineman. Lets work on a position that is getting old and getting weak... Like... umm... THE DLINE, LB's, OR THE SECONDARY!

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 28, 2006, 11:26:35 PM

I don't see many franchise OL in the draft this year so I doubt we go OL early.  If we do anything early on offense it will be WR if Calvin Johnson is there.  I really see a defensive draft unless we sign some good free agents.  I would rather see us sign a good LT than draft one although not sure who, if anybody is available - it is just nice to know we will have options this offseason as we finally have money to spend.

gone

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 29, 2006, 01:08:24 AM

I want a LT in round 1, maybe. For 2 reasons. I liek Anthony Davis, he has been solid, not great but solid. Definitely worth starting. But this OL needs more talent, probably a new OL coach and blocking schemes also but definitely more talent. IN this years draft there are 2 blue chip LT that I know of. 2 LT that could possibly be there when the BUcs pick, eitehr of which IMO will become the greatest Buc Olineman ever. Levi Brown and Joe THomas are both more physically talente dthan any OL the bUcs have ever had, and Thomas is up for scholar athlete awards also.

So if we could land one of these guys Im all for it. Then you figure out where to put Davis. Either Davis and Trueblood battle it out for RT, a position both of them seem to fit more naturqally then anywhere else on the OL. Or maybe you move Buenning to C and Davis to Guard. I think Davis has been solid at LT but I think he would be better at LG, RG or RT.

If Thomas or Brown are available and teh Bucs choose to go with DE Gaines Adams or LB Butser Davis, I would have no problem with that either.

One way or another his OL needs more talent. Atleast 1 guy with equal or greater talent then Joseph who can either play LT or C, or 2 guys one who can play LT and one who can play C
Davis isn't a pretty LT, but he has done a better than good job.  I'll try and dig up some stats for you, but I think he's here to stay.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#18 : October 29, 2006, 05:45:51 AM

I think the Bucs use one of their first three picks on a tackle, just because there will be so many good ones in this draft. Even if we pick in the second half of the first round, there should still be a tackle on the board with top 10 talent, or there could be some tackles left in the second, that would have gone in the first any other year.
Davis has progressed very well, and is doing everything well that he is being asked to do. I think he can continue to do that, even against some good competition, but if either Davis or Trueblood were to get hurt we'd be up the creak right now. Also, the one thing Davis doesn't have is the ability to run and move in space that the rookies on the right side of our line do. A more athletic left tackle could make a big difference, but I like how Davis is playing right now. 

The problem there is the franchise seems to think they have their future in Davis and Trueblood, or at least I think they do. Why draft BACKUPS on offense before possible starters on a defense that has, it pains me to say, no real future? Really, who are our young studs on D? White is good. Ruud and Allen are questionable right now. Zemaitis, who knows? We're stuck in a rut now defensively and it isn't looking up because the Brooks, Rice, Quarles, Spires, Kelly all seem to have a couple at most years left with us. Barber too, maybe, but he's been his usual self thus far. Even then, we're very old with no real standouts on D. Gotta adress first string defensive needs before second string offensive needs IMO.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 29, 2006, 06:45:17 AM

The only way you spend a day one draft pick on an OT at this point is if it is a blue chip tackle and the team is looking for the BAP come draft time.  Other than that I see no reason for the Bucs to spend a day one draft pick on an OT this year.  The Bucs do not have the luxury to spend day one picks purely as back ups yet considering the Bucs will need a starting FB,  a speed WR, a center, possibly two defensive ends, two defensive tackles, a linebacker, a safety, and a corner.  Kicker and punter may be also needs.  I do not see the Bucs being able to address all of those areas with just free agency. 

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 29, 2006, 07:19:55 AM

NO MORE OLINE! I'm sick of us drafting O-lineman. Lets work on a position that is getting old and getting weak... Like... umm... THE DLINE, LB's, OR THE SECONDARY!

Ditto, minus the Caps though.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 29, 2006, 08:30:15 AM

he's been solid for a 2nd year guy.  Most forget that this is really only his 2nd year as a starter.  I think he's far from reaching his peak and will continue to get better.  We are building some chemistry there if Buenning can stay healthy and Muir can keep his dirty paws off of him and stop trying to put Mahan in there.  I can think of some serious weak links on this team and IMO LT is far from it.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#22 : October 29, 2006, 09:28:33 AM

I keep seeing this floated around, but Davis is playing great, he's got good size, is young and a leader.

He hasn't given up a sack this year and has just 1 penalty on an inconsistant line
http://stats.globesports.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6749&team=27

We have so many holes - DE/DT/S/C (LB/CB/WR too an extent) which would make LT a stupid move.
I guess you're happy with the current depth we have a tackle? I sure as hell want to draft a LT this spring. If we get lucky and he turns out better than Davis, how could you be upset with that scenario?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#23 : October 29, 2006, 09:29:58 AM

Getting a LT would allow us to move him to LG if we wanted to.
Here we go again.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 29, 2006, 09:35:54 AM

I keep seeing this floated around, but Davis is playing great, he's got good size, is young and a leader.

He hasn't given up a sack this year and has just 1 penalty on an inconsistant line

We have so many holes - DE/DT/S/C (LB/CB/WR too an extent) which would make LT a stupid move.
I guess you're happy with the current depth we have a tackle? I sure as hell want to draft a LT this spring. If we get lucky and he turns out better than Davis, how could you be upset with that scenario?

Not happy with the depth but you do not need to burn a day one pick on one.  Personally I rather see the Bucs burn a day one pick on a center that has a very good chance at starting over a player that may have a chance at starting at OT but most likely will end up as depth. 

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#25 : October 29, 2006, 09:37:52 AM

Not happy with the depth but you do not need to burn a day one pick on one.  Personally I rather see the Bucs burn a day one pick on a center that has a very good chance at starting over a player that may have a chance at starting at OT but most likely will end up as depth. 

His original post didn't specify where the Tackle was to be drafted. He just asked why anyone would want to draft one!!!!!!! But there you go assuming I was talking about a day 1 pick, and not reading and understanding what you're reading.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 29, 2006, 09:40:48 AM

His original post didn't specify where the Tackle was to be drafted. He just asked why anyone would want to draft one!!!!!!!

People wanting the Bucs to draft a LT to start over AD implies it would most likely be a day one player on draft day.  It is highly unlikely that a fourth round/fifth round pick at LT would start over AD.  Then again AD is starting at LT and he was undrafted but AD is the exception to that rule for the most part.  The majority of the starting left tackles in the league were taking day one of the draft.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#27 : October 29, 2006, 09:46:06 AM

His original post didn't specify where the Tackle was to be drafted. He just asked why anyone would want to draft one!!!!!!!

People wanting the Bucs to draft a LT to start over AD implies it would most likely be a day one player on draft day.  It is highly unlikely that a fourth round/fifth round pick at LT would start over AD.  Then again AD is starting at LT and he was undrafted but AD is the exception to that rule for the most part.  The majority of the starting left tackles in the league were taking day one of the draft.

So you realized as you were typing you were putting your foot in your mouth? Good for you. I guess adding the tidbit of exception to the rule makes what you said OK? That would be why I said "if we get lucky and he turns out better than Davis....."

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 29, 2006, 09:50:45 AM

So you realized as you were typing you were putting your foot in your mouth? Good for you. I guess adding the tidbit of exception to the rule makes what you said OK? That would be why I said "if we get lucky and he turns out better than Davis....."

Coops started this thread with the intention of pointing out that Davis does not need to be replaced in his opinion and is doing fine as a starter.  That is why he implies  when he says the Bucs should not draft a LT. Excuse me if he was not specific about what he was trying to convey.

And from the responses in this thread people are talking about moving AD to play other spots on the o-line so they are implying that Davis needs to replaced and the Bucs need to draft a starting caliber LT.  Which means that is entails burning a day one draft pick.

Simply put my TiVo tells me your foot has been entrenched deep in your mouth for a long time.  Your response just guarantees it.   ;D

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#29 : October 29, 2006, 09:55:04 AM

Coops started this thread with the intention of pointing out that Davis does not need to be replaced in his opinion and is doing fine as a starter.  That is why he implies  when he says the Bucs should not draft a LT. Excuse me if he was not specific about what he was trying to convey.

And from the responses in this thread people are talking about moving AD to play other spots on the o-line so they are implying that Davis needs to replaced and the Bucs need to draft a starting caliber LT.  Which means that is entails burning a day one draft pick.

Simply put my TiVo tells me your foot has been entrenched deep in your mouth for a long time.  Your response just guarantees it.   ;D
You're still not harping on this idea are you? Are you going to tell us again how you saw Anthony Davis play Guard in college with your own 2 eyes? Your Tivo? LOL
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are there people who still think we need a LT in the draft?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools