Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GREAT CALL GENIUS!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#30 : October 30, 2006, 07:12:59 AM

ICIT and Karen on the same page? Wow!! I think I;ll take a screen capture of that one :)

Though I did question the game plan today I am not one to come out with a thread title such as this one. If I thought I could earn a living calling the plays (or had in the past) maybe I would, but as legitimate as the topic is, Im thinking a lot of folks have had a bit too much beer today because the standard of conversation this fine day sucks pretty bad.

It is amazing, for some, the way the "standard of conversation" seems to be in direct proportion to how much sunshine one blows up the team's skirts.

The play selection was poor today. I don't think that any combo was gonna win based on what we were able to do but it is hard to fathom that what we got was the optimal mix of plays for success. There's not much doubt about that and the fact that this is one of 3 games now this season where Gruden appears to have lost his friggin' mind and gone all Mike Martz because we got down a few points should make it something worth remarking on because it isn't a unqiue situation.

Yet if Galloway makes one catch on a perfectly thrown ball and Clayton makes the other one we are playing with a lead in the 4th quarter. Lets face it the calls were there to win the game and guys couldn't catch the ball and when they did catch it they readily fumbled it. The Giants had 8 man fronts all day and the run blocking was awful. Sure 8 attempts is giving up early but the run wasn't there- I do agree he should have allowed it more of a chance but to say Gruden lost his frigging mind when obviously the plays were there is a just a tad over the top. We had guys dropping sure TD's that hit them right in the hands.

To say the "run wasn't there" is ridiculous. In the NFL you make the run, the run doesn't make you. Tiki ran how many times?...26...for how many yards?...65 or so. Hardly a sterling average but time of possession was certainly in there favor. It certainly did not hurt to have the big back Jacobs pounding also. How many times did Alstott carry the ball or did he even carry the ball? In that kind of weather you need that. It is ashame to have a back like Cadillac and not run him when everyone knows he gets stronger as the game goes on. That's one of the reasons that we do not have Thomas Jones now. He knew how Gruden was. Also I for one am fed up with these check down passes that get the backs and tight ends almost decapitated for a gain of what a lot of times amount to negative yardage. The good teams go pass the sticks period! But he continues to stick with this play and that's why we lost in Washington last year...Because we did not pound it on 4th and inches. He can not act like he has a veteran QB, he is a rookie and Gruden is going to get him hurt before this season is out, dangling him in front of the wolves like that. This is the NFL and not POP WARNER. It's sickening and I could deal with another coach even though it is not going to happen.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#31 : October 30, 2006, 08:00:29 AM

I agree Gru gave up on the run early but the calls were still there to win if the players execute. As for the run it was stuffed all but one time and The Giants played 8-9 man fronts all afternnon. Tiki ran the ball that many times because if you remember they were up by 2 scores early and could afford it just like last week when we were up 2 scores early and Caddy pounded all day long. As for Mike he did run and couldn't manage a yard. Why we dont just QB sneak twice when we have 3rd and 4th and 1 is beyond me. But this Oline coudln't manage to even push guys off the ball 3 freaking feet when it mattered most and they sure weren't opening holes on any of the other 13 rushing attempts except the one Caddy broke for 16. Other than that run Caddy avg 0.5 ypc. and a fumble.

That said there is no excuse for Gruden to give up that early on the run--- but the throws were there down field with the safeties and LB's playing up and three catches on those perfect throws would have meant a different ball game all together.

The one thing I have trouble with is why is Mahan playing-- he is such a liability in run protection. He doesn't move anyone. While Buenning and Davis run protect well together.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#32 : October 30, 2006, 08:22:23 AM

I agree Gru gave up on the run early but the calls were still there to win if the players execute. As for the run it was stuffed all but one time and The Giants played 8-9 man fronts all afternnon. Tiki ran the ball that many times because if you remember they were up by 2 scores early and could afford it just like last week when we were up 2 scores early and Caddy pounded all day long. As for Mike he did run and couldn't manage a yard. Why we dont just QB sneak twice when we have 3rd and 4th and 1 is beyond me. But this Oline coudln't manage to even push guys off the ball 3 freaking feet when it mattered most and they sure weren't opening holes on any of the other 13 rushing attempts except the one Caddy broke for 16. Other than that run Caddy avg 0.5 ypc. and a fumble.

That said there is no excuse for Gruden to give up that early on the run--- but the throws were there down field with the safeties and LB's playing up and three catches on those perfect throws would have meant a different ball game all together.

The one thing I have trouble with is why is Mahan playing-- he is such a liability in run protection. He doesn't move anyone. While Buenning and Davis run protect well together.

One more thing that totally baffles me is...when Simms was healthy you would have to beg for a deep ball. Here was a guy who could get it down the field (and he was playing against 8 and 9 man fronts also), but Gru was so scarce in going deep. Now, we have a rookie starting and I have seen more deep balls in all of his games, then Simms all last season...just the way I see it.

BucsAddict

Starter

#33 : October 30, 2006, 09:52:14 AM

Don't feed the troll

I wouldnt but hes right.. Alstott got how many touches? Oh thats right we only have 1 running back

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

gtjiii

Practice Squad

#34 : October 30, 2006, 10:51:24 AM

I don't think it was gonna get better but 8 runs to your feature back isn't enough to know you can't run, epsecially when you are facing a depleted front. There's no excuse for Grads to hang the ball up there 48 times.

I would have to agree...what happened to a more "balanced" offensive strategy...you can't expect a rookie QB to thrive in that situation.

Eli10

Second String

#35 : October 30, 2006, 10:52:33 AM

Don't feed the troll

I wouldnt but hes right.. Alstott got how many touches? Oh thats right we only have 1 running back

Troll has been fed!  Yeah why didn't Alstott get the ball more? I agree with Karen - they were miserable calling plays all day.  Gruden needs an actual O-Coordinator - I hear Jim Fassel is available.  On the plus side, Monte Kiffen knows how to call defense and boy did he do a number yesterday!  He's still got it.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 30, 2006, 11:02:17 AM

It didn't help that when the kid actually got the ball to the WRs they didn't catch it.  :(

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

#37 : October 30, 2006, 11:08:10 AM

Perhaps he was thinking "We can't run the damned ball!"

Wow, so you mean some people actually see whats happening when they watch the BUcs play? I thought everyone here just stares at the TV while they have their hour of TV time from their mental hospital

buckit

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 30, 2006, 02:47:13 PM

My god, this board is being overrun by igits!!!

The 4th down play that got stuffed had a TE WIDE open on a post route.  If Grads had seen him, we'dve scored a TD. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

Eli10

Second String

#39 : October 30, 2006, 03:27:21 PM

The 4th down play that got stuffed had a TE WIDE open on a post route. If Grads had seen him, we'dve scored a TD.

He was probably afraid the guy would drop it again...like they all did all game long.

calehawkins

Second String

#40 : October 30, 2006, 03:36:06 PM

Don't feed the troll

Troll has been fed!  Yeah why didn't Alstott get the ball more? I agree with Karen - they were miserable calling plays all day.  Gruden needs an actual O-Coordinator - I hear Jim Fassel is available.  On the plus side, Monte Kiffen knows how to call defense and boy did he do a number yesterday!  He's still got it.

Bill Muir, technically, is the offensive coordinator but he's a poor one. According to the Buccaneers.com Coaches Roster:

Muir, Bill   2005   Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

Eli10

Second String

#41 : October 30, 2006, 03:37:49 PM

Don't feed the troll

Troll has been fed! Yeah why didn't Alstott get the ball more? I agree with Karen - they were miserable calling plays all day. Gruden needs an actual O-Coordinator - I hear Jim Fassel is available. On the plus side, Monte Kiffen knows how to call defense and boy did he do a number yesterday! He's still got it.

Bill Muir, technically, is the offensive coordinator but he's a poor one. According to the Buccaneers.com Coaches Roster:

Muir, Bill   2005   Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

He has done a nice job with the line the last few weeks.  calling Jim Fassell!!!!!!

buckit

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 30, 2006, 04:18:18 PM

The 4th down play that got stuffed had a TE WIDE open on a post route. If Grads had seen him, we'dve scored a TD.

...of course if your QB doesn't see the field then that is why you don't run that play. As you coaching, coaching isn't about calling cute plays, it is about calling the plays that exploit your advantages and minimize your weaknesses. I think you just gave us a great example of a well drawn play failing when it wasn't married to the right people.

You'd figure an NFL starting QB could see a guy RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM!  It's not so much Grads COULDN'T see Becht, but DIDN'T see him.  As in never even looked downfield. [banghead]

Dear Glazers,

Thank you,
--the fans

buckit

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 30, 2006, 06:45:59 PM

Oh, C'mon!  The play was specifically designed for the TE.  The TE ran a Post route directly in front of Grads.  A simply pre-snap read tells the QB that TE will be open. I have semi-pro QB's that can make that play.   It was inexcuseable. 

Dear Glazers,

Thank you,
--the fans

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#44 : October 30, 2006, 06:59:55 PM

The plays that Gruden called had people open and should have been successful. Both teaqms had trouble running the ball, and passing was only available for 2 quarters because of the wind. The 4th quarter was unfortunatly into the wind. Do I agree with all the calls hell no but to call Gruen an Itiot watching the game on the tube which gives you such an incomplete view of the game is assinine.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GREAT CALL GENIUS!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools