Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#15 : October 30, 2006, 07:44:19 AM

Even in the worst conditions (on the road with bad weather) rookie QB Gradkowski came up big today but the rest of the offense failed him. He made three very good deep throws in the spiraling wind of the meadowlands that were dropped by the receivers. He made a clutch throw on fourth down that Clayton proceeded to fumble away.

His accuracy short was off but that I attribute to jitters. Once he settled down he was hitting throws down field accurately. Given time this kid will really shine on offense. He only made one bad throw downfield when he tried to force it in with Giant defenders.
[/quot...

You say 3 very good deep balls...he threw the freakin' ball 48 times. He should have some deep balls in there. He is making some very bad decisions when he is getting rushed like dumping the ball at people who are 2 yards in front of him and not ready to catch the ball. To me this is disturbing and he needs to get out of that habit. He has to play better or the fans have every right to call it like they see it. I will give him credit though...for a rookie he is hanging in there...despite a bonehead coach!

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#16 : October 30, 2006, 07:46:41 AM

What's wrong with Gradkowski? He's a very raw rookie in his 4th game in a very hostile environment playing with some 30 mph wind gusts. Despite his lack of completions, you know what I like, no ints. For a rookie to be throwing 40+ passes like he did yesterday and not get one picked off, thats something good. Also, you know you cant lean on a freaking rookie QB all the time especially in away games such that that one. The receivers have to do more in order to help the guy. But nonetheless, Gradkowski has shown that he is right for the offense.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#17 : October 30, 2006, 07:48:16 AM

Exactly right.  Bruce is supposed to not lose the game with turnovers and make enough throws to put the team in position to win.  He did that in terrible conditions.  To expect more than that is ridiculous.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#18 : October 30, 2006, 07:50:48 AM

What's wrong with Gradkowski? He's a very raw rookie in his 4th game in a very hostile environment playing with some 30 mph wind gusts. Despite his lack of completions, you know what I like, no ints. For a rookie to be throwing 40+ passes like he did yesterday and not get one picked off, thats something good. Also, you know you cant lean on a freaking rookie QB all the time especially in away games such that that one. The receivers have to do more in order to help the guy. But nonetheless, Gradkowski has shown that he is right for the offense.

Looks like to me this offense...pretty much sucks! I would not say that he is right for this offense because...that makes him pretty much suck too!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#19 : October 30, 2006, 07:53:21 AM

Exactly right. Bruce is supposed to not lose the game with turnovers and make enough throws to put the team in position to win. He did that in terrible conditions. To expect more than that is ridiculous.

Every time I look at him drop back I see an able body career backup QB and that's the way that I see it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 30, 2006, 07:54:33 AM

You say 3 very good deep balls...he threw the freakin' ball 48 times. He should have some deep balls in there. He is making some very bad decisions when he is getting rushed like dumping the ball at people who are 2 yards in front of him and not ready to catch the ball. To me this is disturbing and he needs to get out of that habit. He has to play better or the fans have every right to call it like they see it. I will give him credit though...for a rookie he is hanging in there...despite a bonehead coach!

Throwing 48 times in that type of weather on the road as a rookie is not the best situation to put a young QB in.  With that said he made morethan those three deep throws.  He made a good pass to Clayton on a 4th down that he fumbled away.  He made a good throw to Joey to keep a drive alive and scrambled for a first down as well.  Grad's throws downfield did not hang up there like Eli's did so anyone question his arm strength after this game is insane. Accuracy downfield was not an issue either from what I can see.  But then again some people seem to have a different definition of what accuracy is.

He made very good decisions becuase if a pass rush is coming and nothing is open downfield then you dump it off.  His passes were off on the shorter routes but when he did hit the short passes accurately Carnell and Pittman were able to generate yards underneath. The only bad decision Grads made in the passing game was when he tried to force a ball in downfield with a whole bunch of Giant defenders.

I call it like I see it as well.  And what I am saying what this kid did even after having a poor first quarter came back and showed life in the second quarter (though the change in play calling had a little to do with it as well) he did not fold.  He showed confidence and was not afraid of attacking downfield when the oppurtunities were presented to him and the Giants were stacking the box.

Gruden made the right decision to open it up on the second quarter to move the ball.  Where Jon made a mistake in play calling in my opinion is in the second half fo the game where he should have continued throwing the ball but sprinkle in a few more runs (Eg draw plays with Carnell).  Since the Bucs could not do anything with the running game use the passing game to give Carnell some breathing room underneath.

Exactly right.  Bruce is supposed to not lose the game with turnovers and make enough throws to put the team in position to win.  He did that in terrible conditions.  To expect more than that is ridiculous.

Not only did he not throw a costly INT nor an INT that was returned for six but he made throws downfield that his critics have been asking for but four where nulified because of sheer silliness.   ???

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 30, 2006, 10:02:05 AM

Gradkowski was horrible.  His accuracy is terrible.  Consider:

* 51.3% completion
* 4 fumbles (2 lost)
* 4.3 Yards per pass, which over a full year would probably be among the worst in NFL history.
* Passer ratings by start: 107.6, 72.5, 60.4, 49.3
* Completion % by start: 64.5, 56.8, 50.0, 41.7

He is getting worse by the game, as is the running game.  He is every bit a 6th round pick out of a lower tier school.  Probably the most important passer stat in football is yards per pass, and that is where having a guy like Gradkowski will kill this team.  An average running team gets 4.0 per carry, and Grads is averaging 4.3, which doesn't include sacks.  That means that this team is MORE likely to win games running the wish bone than having Grads throw the ball. 

But, even with how bad he is, the real issue we have is why on earth do you design a game plan with 50 pass attempts with a rookie with little talent playing on the road in a windy environment?   Only Gruden could come up with a game plan that likely to fail. 

Gradkowski will not be our starting QB in 07.  He doesnt have the talent to be a starter in this league.  A nice back up, sure.   But the real issue is that we need a real OC who doesn't put a player like Gradkowski in this position in the first place. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 30, 2006, 10:07:30 AM

Probably the most important passer stat in football is yards per pass,

Wrong, TD:INT is the most important stat for a QB, and for a rookie he is still fairly good in that department.  Gruden loves him and he will be here next year, get used to it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 30, 2006, 10:11:45 AM

Yards per pass most important stat in football?  Maybe a couple of decades ago.....this is not the Al Davis long ball era that some yearn for.

I mean how many games have the Raiders won since that era with the "long ball" and how many games have the Raiders won with that "short stuff" that is known the WCO that so many hate.

The most important stat for a QB my opinion is a TD/INT ratio. Grads as a rookie with his TD/INT ratio is okay.  If he is able to keep up the ratio to finish out the year at least finish with a 1:1 ratio I would be impressed.

BucsAddict

Starter

#24 : October 30, 2006, 10:15:03 AM

Yards per pass most important stat in football? Maybe a couple of decades ago.....this is not the Al Davis long ball era that some yearn for.

I mean how many games have the Raiders won since that era with the "long ball" and how many games have the Raiders won with that "short stuff" that is known the WCO that so many hate.

The most important stat for a QB my opinion is a TD/INT ratio. Grads as a rookie with his TD/INT ratio is okay. If he is able to keep up the ratio to finish out the year at least finish with a 1:1 ratio I would be impressed.

So your saying we should re-sign Brad Johnson then? The same person everyone railed against for constantly throwing to his check down recievers?

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 30, 2006, 10:19:45 AM

Yards per pass most important stat in football? Maybe a couple of decades ago.....this is not the Al Davis long ball era that some yearn for.

The most important stat for a QB my opinion is a TD/INT ratio. Grads as a rookie with his TD/INT ratio is okay. If he is able to keep up the ratio to finish out the year at least finish with a 1:1 ratio I would be impressed.

The long ball has nothing to do with yards per pass attempt.  WCO guys have big yards per pass attempt since they complete more passes and get benefit from YAC.  

TD/INT ratio is not the indicator since a good running team will score on the ground, and take away short TD passes away from the offense.  See Aikman, Troy.   Although I do agree that only throwing one INT in his 4 starts is impressive.  

The point of passing the ball is to advance it further than running it.  Whether it is a long pass or a short pass thrown to a receiver in stride to make YAC, yards are yards.  Grads is doing neither, which is why the team is scoring less and less during his starts.  I don't have anything against Grads, he seems like a capable back up.  He just isn't a starter caliber player.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 30, 2006, 10:19:50 AM

So your saying we should re-sign Brad Johnson then? The same person everyone railed against for constantly throwing to his check down recievers?

Brad Johnson's INT's is what cost him his job in Tampa. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 30, 2006, 10:22:19 AM

The long ball has nothing to do with yards per pass attempt.  WCO guys have big yards per pass attempt since they complete more passes and get benefit from YAC. 

TD/INT ratio is not the indicator since a good running team will score on the ground, and take away short TD passes away from the offense.  See Aikman, Troy.   Although I do agree that only throwing one INT in his 4 starts is impressive. 

The point of passing the ball is to advance it further than running it.  Whether it is a long pass or a short pass thrown to a receiver in stride to make YAC, yards are yards.  Grads is doing neither, which is why the team is scoring less and less during his starts.  I don't have anything against Grads, he seems like a capable back up.  He just isn't a starter caliber player. 

Grads makes three pinpoint throws downfield that did not hang up there in the swirling winds of the Meadowlands (which everyone who loves the long ball has been asking for) but all three are dropped.

If that is not attempting to advance the ball downfield I do not know what else to say.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#28 : October 30, 2006, 10:27:16 AM

Grads is making bad decisions and everyone can see it. Forget the drops for a second...4th and 1 he drops back and has Becht open down the seam. He throws it at a receivers feet. Even on those deep balls that were dropped, other receivers were open pass the first down markers. He ran into a sack for the second straight week, and continues to hit players in the back (from 2 feet away) when he gets into trouble, instead of trying to run. Face it and I do not see any improvement this week against the Saints and that's even though he had a decent game against them last time. You will see how he has regressed.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 30, 2006, 10:32:18 AM

Grads is making bad decisions and everyone can see it. Forget the drops for a second...4th and 1 he drops back and has Becht open down the seam. He throws it at a receivers feet. Even on those deep balls that were dropped, other receivers were open pass the first down markers. He ran into a sack for the second straight week, and continues to hit players in the back (from 2 feet away) when he gets into trouble, instead of trying to run. Face it and I do not see any improvement this week against the Saints and that's even though he had a decent game against them last time. You will see how he has regressed.

Bad decisions?

Saints game:  Grads best game where his decision making was absolutely sharp.

Bengals game:  Did not play great but in the end he led the Bucs on a game winning drive with some clutch throws.

Eagles game:  Makes a clutch throw to Clayton and then wisely decides to run the ball to set up the game winning field goal.

Grads has not taken a lot of sacks and has not thrown a lot of INT's.  Not only that but in the last four games the Bucs have been in all of them.  None of them were blowouts. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools