Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Practice Squad

#30 : October 30, 2006, 10:35:11 AM

Id much rather we bring Simms back so we can throw 3-4 INTs a game and have another 5 tipped at the LOS

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#31 : October 30, 2006, 10:45:58 AM

So your saying we should re-sign Brad Johnson then? The same person everyone railed against for constantly throwing to his check down recievers?

Brad Johnson's INT's is what cost him his job in Tampa.

Grads is making bad decisions and everyone can see it. Forget the drops for a second...4th and 1 he drops back and has Becht open down the seam. He throws it at a receivers feet. Even on those deep balls that were dropped, other receivers were open pass the first down markers. He ran into a sack for the second straight week, and continues to hit players in the back (from 2 feet away) when he gets into trouble, instead of trying to run. Face it and I do not see any improvement this week against the Saints and that's even though he had a decent game against them last time. You will see how he has regressed.

Bad decisions?

Saints game: Grads best game where his decision making was absolutely sharp.

Bengals game: Did not play great but in the end he led the Bucs on a game winning drive with some clutch throws.

Eagles game: Makes a clutch throw to Clayton and then wisely decides to run the ball to set up the game winning field goal.

Grads has not taken a lot of sacks and has not thrown a lot of INT's. Not only that but in the last four games the Bucs have been in all of them. None of them were blowouts.

I hope that you have convinced yourself that he is the future of this franchise, because you don't have to convince me. I burn all of the games on DVD and watch them over (it's the ole high school coach in me that i can't get away from). I just call it like I see it and it's my opinion.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 30, 2006, 11:03:52 AM

So your saying we should re-sign Brad Johnson then? The same person everyone railed against for constantly throwing to his check down recievers?

Grads is making bad decisions and everyone can see it. Forget the drops for a second...4th and 1 he drops back and has Becht open down the seam. He throws it at a receivers feet. Even on those deep balls that were dropped, other receivers were open pass the first down markers. He ran into a sack for the second straight week, and continues to hit players in the back (from 2 feet away) when he gets into trouble, instead of trying to run. Face it and I do not see any improvement this week against the Saints and that's even though he had a decent game against them last time. You will see how he has regressed.

Bad decisions?

Bengals game: Did not play great but in the end he led the Bucs on a game winning drive with some clutch throws.

Eagles game: Makes a clutch throw to Clayton and then wisely decides to run the ball to set up the game winning field goal.

Grads has not taken a lot of sacks and has not thrown a lot of INT's. Not only that but in the last four games the Bucs have been in all of them. None of them were blowouts.

I hope that you have convinced yourself that he is the future of this franchise, because you don't have to convince me. I burn all of the games on DVD and watch them over (it's the ole high school coach in me that i can't get away from). I just call it like I see it and it's my opinion.

Yes becuase Troy Smith's game is so different from Grads *sarcasm*

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#33 : October 30, 2006, 11:06:45 AM

Bad decisions?

Orange/Sugar/Fiesta Bowl(s) vs. _____ Bowl, you fill in the blank for Grads. No *sarcasm*

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 30, 2006, 11:09:53 AM

Bad decisions?

Orange/Sugar/Fiesta Bowl(s) vs. _____ Bowl, you fill in the blank for Grads. No *sarcasm*

Grads has actually won 2 NFL games.  How many pro games has Smith won?  Fill in the ________ blank.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#35 : October 30, 2006, 11:16:16 AM

Bad decisions?

Grads has actually won 2 NFL games. How many pro games has Smith won? Fill in the ________ blank.

You win, I'm tired.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 30, 2006, 11:33:01 AM

ADW, Dalbuc, Prefer, ICIT and others...

I have learned that it is a waste of time defending Grads. If fans don't know what to expect from
a rookie then let them go do their research on their own and educate themsevles. It seems that
that they want to remain ignorant. You guys just make too much sense for them.

I am not a Grads lover. I could care less who the QB is. As long as I think that QB has a chance of
helping this team in the future (if he is a rookie) or if he is helping the team now, (veteran) I am
okay with it. I don't care what he looks like or what is name is or if he is bald or what college
he came from or if he looks like a QB or whatever.

No matter what we say to the clueless fans here, they will keep expecting 2nd and 3rd year
actions from a 4 game rookie.

It's just a waste of time guys. I'm just going to watch Grads grow and learn and enjoy the
ride. After the year, then we'll see where we stand with him. Judging a QB after this many
games just shows the abundance of ignorance that flood this board each week.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 30, 2006, 11:40:03 AM

I highly doubt Grads keeps up his 4:1 TD/INT ratio by the end of the season but if he is able to do so that would be suprising for me.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 30, 2006, 11:42:13 AM

So the question is for 2007, is he looking bad because he is a rookie, or because he just isn't very good?  

His last 4 games have gotten progressively worse in points scored and passer stats.  He isn't showing progress, so there is nothing to say that he is taking his lumps as all rookies do, and he willl be fine.  So far, he just looks like a typical 6th round pick forced to play up to an NFL level, and his talent just isn't there.  

Either way, the Bucs would really be rolling the dice in 2007 unless they brought in a serious insurance policy.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 30, 2006, 11:47:52 AM

so there is nothing to say that he is taking his lumps as all rookies do, and he willl be fine

Most rookies throw a whole bunch of INT's.  If this is Grad's worst then I am not worried. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 30, 2006, 11:52:53 AM

His last 4 games have gotten progressively worse in points scored and passer stats.  He isn't showing progress, so there is nothing to say that he is taking his lumps as all rookies do, and he willl be fine.  So far, he just looks like a typical 6th round pick forced to play up to an NFL level, and his talent just isn't there.

Have you ever watched first year QBs in the league? This is how rookies play for the most part. The have
some progress one week and then regress the next. Do you think Leinhart should be traded by the
Cardinals or do they give him time to grow?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 30, 2006, 11:55:27 AM

Dal,

I thought he struggled too yesterday. But to see people calling for his head or saying, "See, we told you,"
or, "This guy stinks," or any number of ignorant remarks is just insane. I don't know if he will be good but
any sort of judgement now shows that these folks don't really know what to expect from a rookie. The
answer? Don't expect much for now.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 30, 2006, 12:27:04 PM

We all agree that rookie QB's do not come in and have instant success.  No one thinks that to be the case.  But, just because both Gradkowski and McNabb struggles in their rookie years does not mean they are destined to have the same career.  Sometimes a guy struggles because he stinks. 

But, you still have to see something that suggest that the player has the ability to build your team around.  This is a QB's league, and Gruden's offense is most certainly a QB's offense.  If any team, especially the Bucs makes a mistake on selecting their QB AND they don't have a viable (Rattay, McNown) plan B, then they are doomed. 

Gradkowski is a rookie 6th round pick who is playing exactly like a rookie 6th round pick who has no business starting in this league, certainly not as a rookie.  Now, that does not mean that I think he should never see the field again.  He is what he is, a back up caliber player.  No more, no less.  He may be the kind of player who develops with a few years holding the clip board, but he doesn't have the natural talents to win on his own like guys like Elway, McNabb, and Manning, who also struggled their rookie years. 

This season is lost, so we might as well play him.  But, can anyone honestly say they are comfortable going into 2007 with him as the undisbuted starting QB off what we have seen?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 30, 2006, 12:33:05 PM

Seriously why is everyone feel the need to vindicate Grads???

I hope him the best but gee whiz guys, he was a 6th round pick, he is playing because our starter is hurt. It is not like we even spent a 3rd round pick on the guy. Grads is not awful, but he is not good. He looked really bad yesterday, in the bengals game he could have had 3 picks if Cincy could catch, the Eagles game, enough said and then yesterday. I hope he does well but get off the bandwagon and look at this objectively...if he does well, great if not oh well. Its not make or break with grads.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 30, 2006, 12:36:16 PM

I agree with that Curt to a degree.  Dal brought up a good statistic.  Grads has the least amount of INT's per pass attempt for his first four games. Only other players in that catergory are Tom Brady and the Bucs "beloved?  Tim Rattay.  So either Grads is the real deal or a flop.

But I do not think he is a back up caliber QB though.  Why is Troy Smith considered a first rounder by some scouts?  Other scouts consider him a 4th/5th round pick.  Gradkowksi did not drop becuase he lacked athleticism nor production.  He dropped becuase he is short (Troy Smith),  questioning his lack of competiton (Troy Smith has that advantage).

So if the Bucs draft Troy Smith in the first round that make him a good QB?  I am not so sure I agree with that.  In my opinion Grads should have gone higher.  He ran a 4.6 I believe and only Young was better than Grads in that regard.  He was highly accurate coming out of college and was productive while winning.

It is a shame that Grads fell on draft day becuase he comes from a small school and is short.  It will also be a shame on draft day if Troy Smith falls becuase he is short as well.

But in the end that does not diminish Grads athletic ability nor Smith's in my opinion and what they accomplished.

Grads has the tools to succeed as an NFL starter in my opinion.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools